Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 480 for GTX 560Ti replacement

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 30, 2012 6:45:30 PM

Hey guys,

I have got an offer. I am getting a GTX 480 from Zotac with 5 year extended warranty for exchange for my ASUS GTX 560 Ti DCII. Should I take it?


nvidia made a batch of 6000 480's which it gave to evga, zotac n pine@ 2000 each n sold at premium with more warranty coz of heavy copper cooler n pcb used...later after this other brands got their reference design. so its original nvidia powerhouse sold to zotac.

Should I buy it?
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 6:56:36 PM

Well, the difference between the GTX 560ti and GTX 480 is like the difference between GTX 560ti and GTX 570. Do you need that boos in performance?

On the other hand, the GTX 480 consumes more power, runs hotter and noise than the GTX 560ti. GTX 480 reaches 90-95C
April 30, 2012 7:00:26 PM

ilysaml said:
Well, the difference between the GTX 560ti and GTX 480 is like the difference between GTX 560ti and GTX 570. Do you need that boos in performance?

On the other hand, the GTX 480 consumes more power, runs hotter and noise than the GTX 560ti. GTX 480 reaches 90-95C



but it is for exchange so dont u think its a good deal even if its only a tad bit of performance and 1.5GB memory compared to 1GB. I am not concerned about power at all. but temps. I have a corsair 400 R case with 8 fans so do u still think that the 480 will reach 90 degrees
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 7:03:53 PM

Of course, you'll have to get an after market cooler to cool it down, GTX 480 is a very strong card and some reported that when it's OCed it will get the GTX 580 levels.

But again you need an after market cooler. Which will cost you around $80
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-geforce-gtx-480-engg...
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 7:22:15 PM

Quote:
The heat is no worse than the 4870, noise is not an issue, and the heat is more than managable in a good chassis.

Who uses 4870? He owns a GTX 560ti

And according to guru3d, the Asus hit 91C and the Zotak hit 85C. It won't stay that forever.
And I was referring to the Arctic cooler? Isn't it better than that GEILD?
April 30, 2012 10:40:04 PM

Quote:
Not a major difference.
The extra cost gets you roughly 5c lower temps vs the gelid ;) 



Just tell me should I exchange my GTX 560 Ti for the Zotac GTX 480.


The Zotac 480 has a 5 year warranty.
a c 143 U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 10:49:27 PM

It's your own decision. The exchange will cost you heat and power and noise, if you'r okay with that just exchange it.

No one stays with a GPU for 5 years, after 1 year or 2 from now you'll find your GPU very weak to cope up with the latest technology like what happens with AMD right now, Phenom IIs are too much slower than I7s.
May 1, 2012 2:12:23 PM

ilysaml said:
It's your own decision. The exchange will cost you heat and power and noise, if you'r okay with that just exchange it.

No one stays with a GPU for 5 years, after 1 year or 2 from now you'll find your GPU very weak to cope up with the latest technology like what happens with AMD right now, Phenom IIs are too much slower than I7s.



I know that. I am in a dilemma of choosing the right card. I have two options:

1. Exchange my GTX 560 Ti for GTX 480 (Iam not worried about noise and power consumption. temps are a bit worry but I dont think that with 8 fans installed in my case I would have issues with temps). If I decide to exchange my card for the 480, I will not be able to add another one for SLI as I can't find other 480 anywhere in the market.

2. Keep the GTX 560 Ti and add another one for SLI.

Please suggest me your best opinion.
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 2:34:04 PM

Ok if you believe there would be no issue, get the GTX 480.

I would go with it personally, but I would customize it with after market cooler in the first place.
May 1, 2012 11:59:55 PM

ilysaml said:
Ok if you believe there would be no issue, get the GTX 480.

I would go with it personally, but I would customize it with after market cooler in the first place.


So do you believe that getting the GTX 480 will be the best option without SLI'ng my existing GTX 560 Ti.
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 12:10:09 AM

The 480 is the best option if you don't plan to SLI the 560ti.
May 2, 2012 12:20:38 AM

monsta said:
The 480 is the best option if you don't plan to SLI the 560ti.


What I am saying is if I get the 480 then I will not be SLI'ing as I can't find other 480's in the market now.

If I decide to keep the GTX 560 Ti, then I will probably SLI the card with another 560 Ti.

What do u think would be the best option considering the video memory of the cards (1536 MB vs 1GB of the 560 Ti). Do u think the 1GB will be a limitation as I am only going to play games at 1080p.
May 2, 2012 12:29:14 AM

ilysaml said:
No it won't. And the GTX 480 is already available now, you can just purchase one right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Hmm....I live in India and not in US. Yesterday, I've searched around 40 shops and nowhere I could find a single 480. All they have is 500 series of cards. So what do u think of it now.
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 12:53:28 AM

Go with whatever you see great value.
May 2, 2012 1:07:07 AM

ilysaml said:
Go with whatever you see great value.



I am not getting a proper answer considering that you people know better. This is the only reason why we come to this forum to seek some answers.

My only concern is the 1GB memory limitation on my GTX 560 Ti. Should I SLI with another 560 Ti or exchange it for a GTX 480 or get a GTX 570 by paying additional $80.
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 1:12:22 AM

GTX 560ti SLI> GTX 570> GTX 480.

I just told you my answer, I would stay with the GTX 560ti and SLi it later otherwise I'd go with GTX 480 and find a proper cooler.

1 GB is almost fine for 1080P resolution.
May 2, 2012 1:20:08 AM

ilysaml said:
GTX 560ti SLI> GTX 570> GTX 480.

I just told you my answer, I would stay with the GTX 560ti and SLi it later otherwise I'd go with GTX 480 and find a proper cooler.

1 GB is almost fine for 1080P resolution.



thank you.

one last question. I bought the new Corsair TX750 V2 power supply yesterday after selling my stupid Cooler master GX 750. Do you think that the new TX750 V2 be able to handle highly overclocked GTX 560 Ti's and my overclocked Phenom II X4 4ghz.
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 2:55:24 PM

Of course, it will be more than sufficient.
!