Nokia 6230 Applications

Last response: in Brands
Share
July 1, 2004 11:41:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

I am having trouble uploading applications to my Nokia 6230 because of
memory space.

Looking at the free memory under applications it gives 1.4Mb yet the Nokia
PC Suite 6.0 reports only 300Kb of free memory and will not upload anything
more than this.

Surely this is wrong? Anyway how come I am limited - I have over 100Mb free
on my MMC card, why can't the phone use this for apps?

If I put an app on the memory card directly - it says unknown file type.

Great phone, but lots of little things like this annoy me. I have the
original 3.14 firmware, waiting for them to get to 3.20 or so before
upgrading!

Grumbles include apart from the odd crash:

1) Cannot assign ring tone per address book entry
2) Can assign photo per address book entry - but picture is displayed too
small to be useful. SonyE T610 displays full screen
3) Given the tiny screen playing back 3gp files do not play full screen but
have a header and a footer making the viewing area even more tiny
4) Rubbish picture editing, why can't I crop a pic (photo) to the size
suitable for sending an MMS to another phone display?
5) Does not support my newer Orange SIM card (3.17 reportedly fixed this)
6) mp3 files in folders cannot be included in playlists
etc

-Steve
July 1, 2004 11:41:09 PM

"Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am having trouble uploading applications to my Nokia 6230 because of
> memory space.
>
> Looking at the free memory under applications it gives 1.4Mb yet the Nokia
> PC Suite 6.0 reports only 300Kb of free memory and will not upload
anything
> more than this.

Only a small amount of memory is allowed to be used for Java applications.
Other phones are similar, such as the Motorola A835.

> Surely this is wrong?

Nope, it's by design,

> 2) Can assign photo per address book entry - but picture is displayed too
> small to be useful. SonyE T610 displays full screen

Personally I don't see how it is "useful" to have it display it at all.

Vince
July 1, 2004 11:41:10 PM

"Vince" <bitbucket@news.vpwsys.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I am having trouble uploading applications to my Nokia 6230 because of
> > memory space.
> >
> > Looking at the free memory under applications it gives 1.4Mb yet the
Nokia
> > PC Suite 6.0 reports only 300Kb of free memory and will not upload
> anything
> > more than this.
>
> Only a small amount of memory is allowed to be used for Java applications.
> Other phones are similar, such as the Motorola A835.
>
> > Surely this is wrong?
>
> Nope, it's by design,

The 7250 allowed its 6 meg memory to be used anywhere in the phone allowing
lots of games and applications but less space for pictures etc. Is this not
the case on the 6230?
a b } Memory
July 7, 2004 5:21:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Steve" <news3@proph.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am having trouble uploading applications to my Nokia 6230 because of
> memory space.
>
> Looking at the free memory under applications it gives 1.4Mb yet the Nokia
> PC Suite 6.0 reports only 300Kb of free memory and will not upload
> anything
> more than this.
>
> Surely this is wrong? Anyway how come I am limited - I have over 100Mb
> free
> on my MMC card, why can't the phone use this for apps?
>
> If I put an app on the memory card directly - it says unknown file type.
>
> Great phone, but lots of little things like this annoy me. I have the
> original 3.14 firmware, waiting for them to get to 3.20 or so before
> upgrading!
>
> Grumbles include apart from the odd crash:
>
> 1) Cannot assign ring tone per address book entry
> 2) Can assign photo per address book entry - but picture is displayed too
> small to be useful. SonyE T610 displays full screen
> 3) Given the tiny screen playing back 3gp files do not play full screen
> but
> have a header and a footer making the viewing area even more tiny
> 4) Rubbish picture editing, why can't I crop a pic (photo) to the size
> suitable for sending an MMS to another phone display?
> 5) Does not support my newer Orange SIM card (3.17 reportedly fixed this)
> 6) mp3 files in folders cannot be included in playlists
> etc

Regarding the playlists, you can assign files from any folder to a playlist
using the newest MobiMB (v2.2)

Mike

--
Get your phone connected with LogoManager
http://www.logomanager.co.uk

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

In article <40ec310a$0$62153$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>, Mike
Bradley <mike-nospam@bounce.logomanager.co.uk> writes
>Regarding the playlists, you can assign files from any folder to a playlist
>using the newest MobiMB (v2.2)

Ah, now that's interesting.

Can I create playlists on the phone with it too, then download the
tracks to folders and add them to the playlist?

If so, that might just be enough to separate me from my money :)
--
Toby
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

> >Regarding the playlists, you can assign files from any folder to a
playlist
> >using the newest MobiMB (v2.2)
>
> Ah, now that's interesting.
>
> Can I create playlists on the phone with it too, then download the
> tracks to folders and add them to the playlist?

C'mon Mike, how do we do this?

A link showing how your team acheived this would be appreciated.

a b } Memory
July 9, 2004 7:58:49 PM

"Toby Groves" <news@iconia.org.uk> wrote in message
> In article <40ec310a$0$62153$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>, Mike
> Bradley <mike-nospam@bounce.logomanager.co.uk> writes
>>Regarding the playlists, you can assign files from any folder to a
>>playlist
>>using the newest MobiMB (v2.2)
>
> Ah, now that's interesting.
>
> Can I create playlists on the phone with it too, then download the tracks
> to folders and add them to the playlist?
>
> If so, that might just be enough to separate me from my money :)

Yes, you can make as many new playlists as you like and simply open them in
the software, rearrange tham and/or drag new files from any folder int he
phone into the playlist. You can of course also drag & drop new files in
and out of the phone from Windows.

There's a demo on the web site (link below), so if you are curious, take a
look at it, and don't forget to post back or email me to let me know what
you think.

--
Get your phone connected with LogoManager
http://www.logomanager.co.uk
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 10, 2004 6:51:58 PM

Toby Groves wrote:

> Can I create playlists on the phone with it too, then download the
> tracks to folders and add them to the playlist?

No you can't create track lists on the phone. MobiMB is a great peice
of software. Well worth the £16 or so.

Colin

--
Colin Copland, Web: http://www.mutleyshome.com