Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I Gig Sandisk goes haywire!

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:02:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi all!

My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a possible 500
or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the store
and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason for
this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason for
such to help.

Please does anyone know what goes?

Thanks,

Marcel

More about : gig sandisk haywire

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:02:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

SimonLW wrote:
> Try another brand. My Sandisk USB flash drive acts odd with XP (I have a
> couple). Others work fine. Apples to Oranges, but maybe a Sandisk thing?
> -S
>
>
>
> "Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote in message
> news:XpqdnXt5NvBU7HPfRVn-jQ@rogers.com...
> > Hi!
> > Yes it was formatted
> > Marcel
> >
> >
> > "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> > news:tcose1lok4od37t6lnopaa0u9mcg434lhs@4ax.com...
> > > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:02:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Celcius"
> > > <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > >Hi all!
> > > >
> > > >My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a
> possible
> > 500
> > > >or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
> > > >transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the
> > store
> > > >and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason
> for
> > > >this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason
> for
> > > >such to help.
> > >
> > > To start off was the card(s) formatted in the camera to begin with.
> > > ________________________________________________________
> > > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
> > > See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
> > > http://EdwardGRuf.com
> >
> >

Probably not. I'm using a Sandisk 1 gig with no problems with XP, also
two 256 Sandisks. They are used in a Pentax, though, not a Canon.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:04:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Sorry, the CF card was Sandisk


"Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:LIWdnR7Mm7I1yHPfRVn-vQ@rogers.com...
> Hi all!
>
> My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a possible
500
> or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
> transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the
store
> and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason for
> this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason for
> such to help.
>
> Please does anyone know what goes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcel
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:27:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Its quiet possibble that the format program is not working or media is used
unformatted.

Try other make of media if same thing happens then may be time to change the
camera.ents

My 2 cents :) 

cheers

Q






"Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:LIWdnR7Mm7I1yHPfRVn-vQ@rogers.com...
> Hi all!
>
> My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a possible
> 500
> or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
> transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the
> store
> and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason for
> this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason for
> such to help.
>
> Please does anyone know what goes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcel
>
>
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:43:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Gee. Sounds like what I've been through --- twice!

Get on their website and fill out the data. They'll ask you the country it
was made in (China in mine), the serial number, the date you bought it, and
where. They respond pretty quick, but you need to establish one of their
E-Box (mail) folders to do it. You shouldn't have any problem as the 1
meggers haven't been out more than 5 years (their warranty period). You
might want to check their site to make certain your card is compatible with
what's on their approved list first.

Then they'll give you a real wierd way of trying to format it via Manage on
My Computer in XP. When that fails, usually a Write Protect or Read Protect
error, then they'll send you a pre-paid FedEx label that you can stick on a
envelope and mail it back. Takes about two weeks.

They do offer a slimmed down Recovery software on their site (redirects to
some other company). The full blown version costs big bucks. No experience
there as it wouldn't even acknowledge it.

Been there. Done that. Twice.

Mack
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:54:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:02:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Celcius"
<cosmar@rogers.com> wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a possible 500
>or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
>transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the store
>and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason for
>this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason for
>such to help.

To start off was the card(s) formatted in the camera to begin with.
________________________________________________________
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 6:51:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:02:32 -0400, "Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com>
wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a possible 500
>or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
>transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the store
>and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason for
>this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason for
>such to help.
>
>Please does anyone know what goes?

If it was a SanDisk Extreme III they come with recovery software. If
not there is recovery software for free on the net. Did you try any
recovery of the data?


*****************************************************

"It is a good thing to read books, and need not be a
bad thing to write them, but in any case, it is a
pious thing to collect them."

Fredrick Locker-Lampson
(1821-1895)
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:02:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi!
Yes it was formatted
Marcel


"Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
news:tcose1lok4od37t6lnopaa0u9mcg434lhs@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:02:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Celcius"
> <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all!
> >
> >My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a possible
500
> >or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
> >transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the
store
> >and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason for
> >this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason for
> >such to help.
>
> To start off was the card(s) formatted in the camera to begin with.
> ________________________________________________________
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
> See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
> http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:14:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Try another brand. My Sandisk USB flash drive acts odd with XP (I have a
couple). Others work fine. Apples to Oranges, but maybe a Sandisk thing?
-S



"Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:XpqdnXt5NvBU7HPfRVn-jQ@rogers.com...
> Hi!
> Yes it was formatted
> Marcel
>
>
> "Ed Ruf" <egruf_usenet@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:tcose1lok4od37t6lnopaa0u9mcg434lhs@4ax.com...
> > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:02:32 -0400, in rec.photo.digital "Celcius"
> > <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all!
> > >
> > >My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a
possible
> 500
> > >or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
> > >transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the
> store
> > >and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason
for
> > >this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason
for
> > >such to help.
> >
> > To start off was the card(s) formatted in the camera to begin with.
> > ________________________________________________________
> > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
> > See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
> > http://EdwardGRuf.com
>
>
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:38:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I don't think that my son would know about recovery software anyway.
However, he called Sandisk and they couldn't offer any help.
I did hear about problems with the 1 Gig and I think the Canon 20D, but if I
remember correctly, the problem went away with a replacement.
Marcel


"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:i7vse1p8gnd8083p85hm7riq8rmel5qlbk@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:02:32 -0400, "Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all!
> >
> >My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a possible
500
> >or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
> >transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the
store
> >and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason for
> >this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason for
> >such to help.
> >
> >Please does anyone know what goes?
>
> If it was a SanDisk Extreme III they come with recovery software. If
> not there is recovery software for free on the net. Did you try any
> recovery of the data?
>
>
> *****************************************************
>
> "It is a good thing to read books, and need not be a
> bad thing to write them, but in any case, it is a
> pious thing to collect them."
>
> Fredrick Locker-Lampson
> (1821-1895)
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:38:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:38:22 -0400, "Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com>
wrote:

>I don't think that my son would know about recovery software anyway.
>However, he called Sandisk and they couldn't offer any help.
>I did hear about problems with the 1 Gig and I think the Canon 20D, but if I
>remember correctly, the problem went away with a replacement.
>Marcel

There is no problem with the Canon and SanDisk. The Canon problems
were with Lexar cards.

See:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexarale...

Here's a link to image recovery.

http://www.ultimateslr.com/memory-card-recovery.php

Any one using a digital camera should know how to do this...
*****************************************************

"It is a good thing to read books, and need not be a
bad thing to write them, but in any case, it is a
pious thing to collect them."

Fredrick Locker-Lampson
(1821-1895)
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:32:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks Mack.
I'ill pass it on.
Marcel


"M. MacDonald" <mmacdon@bc.cc.ca.us> wrote in message
news:rPvHe.144$W4.98851@okeanos.csu.net...
> Gee. Sounds like what I've been through --- twice!
>
> Get on their website and fill out the data. They'll ask you the country
it
> was made in (China in mine), the serial number, the date you bought it,
and
> where. They respond pretty quick, but you need to establish one of their
> E-Box (mail) folders to do it. You shouldn't have any problem as the 1
> meggers haven't been out more than 5 years (their warranty period). You
> might want to check their site to make certain your card is compatible
with
> what's on their approved list first.
>
> Then they'll give you a real wierd way of trying to format it via Manage
on
> My Computer in XP. When that fails, usually a Write Protect or Read
Protect
> error, then they'll send you a pre-paid FedEx label that you can stick on
a
> envelope and mail it back. Takes about two weeks.
>
> They do offer a slimmed down Recovery software on their site (redirects to
> some other company). The full blown version costs big bucks. No
experience
> there as it wouldn't even acknowledge it.
>
> Been there. Done that. Twice.
>
> Mack
>
>
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:35:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Celcius wrote:
> Hi!
> Yes it was formatted
> Marcel

Ron asked if the card was formatted in the camera - not if it was
formatted.

David
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:55:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Sorry David,
Yes it was formatted in the camera, but afterwards, when it wasn't working
(after about 100 pics), he could not format it anymore in the camera.
Marcel

"David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:gnFHe.81174$G8.69428@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Celcius wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Yes it was formatted
> > Marcel
>
> Ron asked if the card was formatted in the camera - not if it was
> formatted.
>
> David
>
>
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:38:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks to everyone for helping.
I will pass these on to my son.
Marcel


"Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:LIWdnR7Mm7I1yHPfRVn-vQ@rogers.com...
> Hi all!
>
> My son bought a 1 Gig CF card. After about 100 photos (out of a possible
500
> or so), using a Canon Powershot A70, he could not view the photos, nor
> transfer them to HD, nor format the card. He took the card back to the
store
> and got a new one. Same thing happened. Canon says there is no reason for
> this to happen. Canon also said there was no firmware, nor any reason for
> such to help.
>
> Please does anyone know what goes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcel
>
>
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 5:57:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:ar2te1dqnl1c60pjcfljt1qcfdhno63rc1@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:38:22 -0400, "Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I don't think that my son would know about recovery software anyway.
>>However, he called Sandisk and they couldn't offer any help.
>>I did hear about problems with the 1 Gig and I think the Canon 20D, but if
>>I
>>remember correctly, the problem went away with a replacement.
>>Marcel
>
> There is no problem with the Canon and SanDisk. The Canon problems
> were with Lexar cards.
>
> See:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexarale...
>
> Here's a link to image recovery.
>
> http://www.ultimateslr.com/memory-card-recovery.php
>
> Any one using a digital camera should know how to do this...

My problem was with a 20D and Sandisk 1 and 2GB cards. It was solved by
Canon with the most recent firmware upgrade 2.0.0, not the earlier 2 (3?).
It also affected a "Silicon Power" 2GB card. the problem was sporadic.

Dave
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:28:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I recently bought a Sandisk 1gb card on a trip to China. The packaging and
label on the card indicated it was a high speed 1gb card. The card actually
only has the capacity of 500mbs. The price of the card was too good to be
true so I was not surprised that the card was not what it was stated to be.
I suspect that such intentionally mislabelled, essentially counterfeit goods
make their was into the U.S. distribution stream.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:24:18 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I now wonder if the half-gig SanDisk card in my Ixus 700 is the cause of my
download problems. I suppose the best test is to buy another card from
another manufacturer. Who has the best reputation for these?

Dave W.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:24:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 22:24:18 +0100, "Dave W"
<david@briarwood134.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I now wonder if the half-gig SanDisk card in my Ixus 700 is the cause of my
>download problems. I suppose the best test is to buy another card from
>another manufacturer. Who has the best reputation for these?

SanDisk the best card but I use in my Canon only their Extreme III's.


*******************************************************

"Les livres font les époques et les nations,
commes les époques et les nations font les livres."

_Mélanges littéraires_
Jean-Jacques Ampère
(1800-1864)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:25:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:ncqve1dgp8dk76qhm7tf3k6oa53a542gq4@4ax.com...
> SanDisk the best card but I use in my Canon only their Extreme III's.

Thanks for that John. Not really what I wanted to hear. The only other
option is to suspect the Ixus 700. Gloom.

Dave W.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:07:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"hyperoglyphe" <hyperoglyphe@schlockmail.com> wrote in message
news:42ef0b83$0$11934$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>
> "John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:ar2te1dqnl1c60pjcfljt1qcfdhno63rc1@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:38:22 -0400, "Celcius" <cosmar@rogers.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't think that my son would know about recovery software anyway.
>>>However, he called Sandisk and they couldn't offer any help.
>>>I did hear about problems with the 1 Gig and I think the Canon 20D, but
>>>if I
>>>remember correctly, the problem went away with a replacement.
>>>Marcel
>>
>> There is no problem with the Canon and SanDisk. The Canon problems
>> were with Lexar cards.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05052001canonlexarale...
>>
>> Here's a link to image recovery.
>>
>> http://www.ultimateslr.com/memory-card-recovery.php
>>
>> Any one using a digital camera should know how to do this...
>
> My problem was with a 20D and Sandisk 1 and 2GB cards. It was solved by
> Canon with the most recent firmware upgrade 2.0.0, not the earlier 2 (3?).
> It also affected a "Silicon Power" 2GB card. the problem was sporadic.
>
> Dave
>

What firmware did you have in before you upgraded?
!