Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2012 8:09:19 PM

Specs: ATI 6770 HD
AMD Phenom Quad 9850 (no O/C)
4GB Corsair RAM ddr2
500 gb HD
AS Rock N68C-S UCC motherboard
500W Coolermaster PSU

PC will randomly shut down when playing BF3(ONLY), can be after a couple of minutes or a couple of hours. No BSOD or freeze just shut down. Checked event logs and have the kernel power error. CPU and GPU temps are fine, RAM is fine.

I assume it is PSU issue as BF3 is the most graphically demanding game i play and 500w is not great, but it is within recommended specs. I have unplugged dvd drive, soundcard, 1 case fan and LED lights and still shuts down in game, also tried lowering gfx settings to no avail : ( The PSU is only 2 months old and after shut down is not hot to the touch (had a faulty PSU before and used to get absurdly hot before shutdown)

Is there anyway to test PSU directly or could it be another hardware issue, or is there anything i can do to prevent shutdowns in battlefield 3?

Thanks

More about : shut playing bf3

June 24, 2012 8:17:12 PM

You're asking a lot out of your rig to play BF3, you will have to invest a bit of cash to upgrade your pc to be BF3 proficient.
m
l
June 24, 2012 8:26:47 PM

CPU and graphics card and RAM are well within the specs for BF3, although motherboard is a fairly cheap one. Have been happily playing/ raging BF3 for months without problems on high graphics, also have mates who have similar set ups bar psu wattage and ddr3 instead of 2, and they are fine. To heap on misery only starting happening after a shelled out £40 on BF premium.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 24, 2012 8:27:57 PM

iendigma said:
You're asking a lot out of your rig to play BF3, you will have to invest a bit of cash to upgrade your pc to be BF3 proficient.

Even if that is true, it has nothing to do with the issue. PCs only shut down instantaneously when something is very wrong, for example high temperatures or bad electrical conditions.

You told us both RAM and temperatures are fine, could you elaborate a little more? How did you test the RAM? What are the temperatures and how are you measuring them?

Also, is cool'n'quiet enabled (or any other throttling technology, such as C1E)? Some motherboards have issues with power management when using power saving features.

What OS are you running?
m
l
June 24, 2012 8:40:57 PM

Murissokah said:
Even if that is true, it has nothing to do with the issue. PCs only shut down instantaneously when something is very wrong, for example high temperatures or bad electrical conditions.

You told us both RAM and temperatures are fine, could you elaborate a little more? How did you test the RAM? What are the temperatures and how are you measuring them?

Also, is cool'n'quiet enabled? Some motherboards have issues with power management when using power saving features.

What OS are you running?

Running core temp and shows idle temps at around 30c, under load 50-60c.
MSI afterburner for GPU and temps similar to CPU.
Have ran memtest and prime with no issues.

Cool n quiet was enabled but disabled that and still random shutdown. Also disabled thermal throttle but no change.

Thanks for quick response.
m
l
June 24, 2012 9:15:49 PM

Well, we can rule out overheating.

I have just done a little research on your issue, and it seems its always related to bad voltage settings, whether caused by throttling or plain bad setting. Since your throttling features are already off, please check if the memory is running at the specified voltage. You might want to check the specified voltages for your CPU and VGA too, and set them manually.

Use CPU-Z/GPU-Z to see if there is a significant voltage drop under load too.

Last, but not least, some guys had a similar issue (kernel power error) caused by conflicting audio drivers. Sounds far-fetched, but they had both VIA and AMD audio drivers, just like you seem to. Won't hurt to disable the ones you aren't using.

Here are my sources:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-kern...
m
l
June 24, 2012 9:33:27 PM

Sounds like it could be a memory issue or hard drive issue. Random reboots or freezes sounds like memory could be the culprit. I would test with memtest86+ or any other memory tester to make sure one of your sticks are not bad.
m
l
June 25, 2012 12:19:13 AM

Pyroclops said:

Have ran memtest and prime with no issues.

mightymaxio said:
Sounds like it could be a memory issue or hard drive issue. Random reboots or freezes sounds like memory could be the culprit. I would test with memtest86+ or any other memory tester to make sure one of your sticks are not bad.
m
l
June 25, 2012 5:29:35 PM

Murissokah said:
Well, we can rule out overheating.

I have just done a little research on your issue, and it seems its always related to bad voltage settings, whether caused by throttling or plain bad setting. Since your throttling features are already off, please check if the memory is running at the specified voltage. You might want to check the specified voltages for your CPU and VGA too, and set them manually.

Use CPU-Z/GPU-Z to see if there is a significant voltage drop under load too.

Last, but not least, some guys had a similar issue (kernel power error) caused by conflicting audio drivers. Sounds far-fetched, but they had both VIA and AMD audio drivers, just like you seem to. Won't hurt to disable the ones you aren't using.

Here are my sources:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpr...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/solved-kern...

My voltages for cpu and ram were set to auto so i put them on stock settings but still shut down in BF3 also gave the audio fix a shot (have had audio problems with BF3 before), no change.
Have not tried CPU-Z/GPU-Z will give that a go tonight.
For a little more info: the system does not reboot just shuts down until i turn it on. I can play games like Civilisation5 , Total War for hours without any problems but BF3 will not last more than a few minutes most of the time.

Thanks for the help, not the biggest issue I KNOW not being able to play one game, but still really annoying as there is no alternative FPS
m
l
June 26, 2012 12:31:34 AM

BF3 recommeneded requirements are 4gb, a phenom X4 9650, and im currently running bf3 at 35-40 fps with the 6770, and 4gb, only difference is im running a phenom II X6 1055t. so really no prob with an outdated system, beside the slower processor and ddr2.
m
l
July 6, 2012 2:58:09 PM

I have the same issue.
Specs
Asus AM3 Motherboard M5A97
Bulldozer 6100 fx series Black edition CPU
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970 1GB Dual Fan
PSU: 750W ARTIC cooling
500GB Hardrive
8gb Crossair Gaming ramb

i can run bf3 ultra no problems. but after a few minutes 1-10 so far, my pc cuts, as if the electric in the house has gone. so i simply switch the power on and off on the psu and it reboots.

I have 1 main fan, top breezing air in and the cpu fan. and ofcoure the graphic fans, which dont create much breeze. is it a heat issue? or psu issue.

I had to buy a converter for my psu. for the 8pin connection to the g card
m
l
December 3, 2012 10:43:54 PM

I have a similar issue. The system just turns off (like the power went out) usually after it is idle for about 30 minutes or thinks it is idle if I'm using remote desktop to access another machine. Occasionally it will do that while windows is starting up. I am running an AMD Phenom Quad-Core Processor. C1E support is on in Bios, as is Cool'n'Quiet. Turning off C1E support makes the processor run hot all of the time. C1E on makes it run considerably cooler without any performance degredation (benchmarked to test). What could be causing the system to suddenly turn off?
m
l
April 22, 2013 11:20:27 AM

Im too facing the same issue...
the same sudden power down issue....
the moment i power it on again there is a high speed blow of the system fan for few seconds..
I play counterstrike global offensive...

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 22, 2013 11:32:21 AM

prajwalnr said:
Im too facing the same issue...
the same sudden power down issue....
the moment i power it on again there is a high speed blow of the system fan for few seconds..
I play counterstrike global offensive...

Always make a new thread instead of bumping an old one.

This is one of two things likely.

1) your PSU is junk. What brand and wattage is it?
2) GPU/CPU overheat. What are your load temps?
m
l
!