Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Rendering
  • Quadro
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 30, 2012 9:11:39 PM

Hi,

Will I get a significant performance gain in maya with Quadro600? Is it worth the money because I already have GTX680. Also, can I run both GPUs at the same time (not SLI).

Thanks!

More about : rendering gtx680 quadro 600

April 30, 2012 9:26:59 PM

I don't know what "maya" is but I have tried many times to run Solidworks with gaming boards and games with "pro" boards. It doesn't work. The drivers are completely different.
m
l
April 30, 2012 9:32:32 PM

right, that's what I thought. Will dual boot work (but that will add a lot of hassle)?
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2012 9:37:27 PM

Don't know a lot about Maya, but my guess is the GTX 680 will be significantly faster than the Quadro 600, which just isn't powerful.

The forums over at Autodesk's website have lots of info for people deliberating between Geforce and Quadro - it's different for every application. Inventor works great with gaming cards (assuming you're not about to manufacture an assembly line), others not as well.
m
l
April 30, 2012 9:41:08 PM

Thanks naf!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 9:43:43 PM

Quadro cards have special drivers that boost performance in programs such as Maya and 3dsMax. These cards also are more accurate than GeForce. Take for example a model in AutoCad. When using a Quadro, it will look accurate. But when using a GeForce it will be a little off, or not as accurate as the Quadro.
Now if you want to exchange fast renders in the viewport for accuracy then get the gtx 680. If you want to have accuracy but not as fast renders then go for the Quadro.
m
l
April 30, 2012 9:46:09 PM

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Hardware/Inventor-2012-Ca...

That thread has a reply with a link to an article one of the Inventor programmers wrote about their switch to DirectX from OpenGL, which made performance with Geforce cards match Quadro performance. It's more complicated than that, but he explains it all.

I don't know if Maya is OpenGL or DirectX or what. Solidworks is OpenGL, which is why it can be rough with Geforce cards.
m
l
April 30, 2012 9:48:48 PM

carlosb said:
Quadro cards have special drivers that boost performance in programs such as Maya and 3dsMax. These cards also are more accurate than GeForce. Take for example a model in AutoCad. When using a Quadro, it will look accurate. But when using a GeForce it will be a little off, or not as accurate as the Quadro.
Now if you want to exchange fast renders in the viewport for accuracy then get the gtx 680. If you want to have accuracy but not as fast renders then go for the Quadro.

Accuracy doesn't matter that much because I'm definitely not opening a company :p 
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 9:57:26 PM

x-RoBoTz-o said:
Accuracy doesn't matter that much because I'm definitely not opening a company :p 

In that case you should stay with the gtx 680 and spend $150 on something nice :sol: 
Besides, I'm pretty sure that Maya takes advantage of CUDA and in that aspect the gtx 680 surpasses by a great amount the quadro

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention was that hte Quadro cards offer more stability which the GeForces lack a little.
April 30, 2012 10:14:52 PM

Best answer selected by x-RoBoTz-o.
m
l
April 30, 2012 10:15:10 PM

Thank you very much, carlosb! =D
m
l