Small flickering, maybe HDMI?

dedekind

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2012
Hi everyone,

I built a new system about two weeks ago and I notice a small flickering in the image from time to time, specially when playing games or seeing some videos (I have never noticed it in the Win7 Desktop, for example). My 24'' Dell LED is connected to my eVGA Nvidia GTX 570 (SC HD) via a VGA cable that goes from the monitor to a VGA-2-DVI adapter and then to one of the DVI ports of the card. The cable came with the monitor, the adapter with the card.

Is it possible that the problem is in the cable? I know it's hard to tell if you don't see it yourselves. What would be the advantages of using an HDMI-2-HDMI connection? (both monitor and card have this option, I just don't have the cable now). I am interested in this question even if I didn't have the flickering problem. Thanks.

Solution
It's most likely the cable or the adapter. VGA is much more dependant on the quality of the cable vs DVI or HDMI. Most VGA cables that come with monitors are not high quality. With a nice card like that there is really no reason to not be using a digital cable if you have a monitor that supports DVI or HDMI.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
It's most likely the cable or the adapter. VGA is much more dependant on the quality of the cable vs DVI or HDMI. Most VGA cables that come with monitors are not high quality. With a nice card like that there is really no reason to not be using a digital cable if you have a monitor that supports DVI or HDMI.

Solution