GTX 570 Single Digit framerates at lowest settings.

misinformedman

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
I just bought a GTX 570 to replace my aging 8800 gts 320mb. Randomly with every game I've tried, both old and new, I'll launch the game, and though my GPU usage will in fact show 100% and my clocks will increase to stock, I will only get 3-6 frames per second, even with every setting turned to the lowest.

However, sometimes after I reboot, I get normal framerates.

I'm on a 2500k with 8gb of 1600mhz ddr3, my power supply is 600w. My old 8800 gts got at least 50fps on lowest settings, so there's clearly something wrong.

I've done a complete sweep of the drivers and reinstalled them (301.24) and the problem remains. What do you think I should try? (I will update this with what works)

irvine5000

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Probably a silly suggestion, but did you try installing the nvidia drivers again as a "clean install?"

:edit cause I need to L2READ....

Do you have another desktop to put the video card in to rule out a dead graphics card? Also, did you try an older driver version? I cannot seem to find 301.24 on the website. The latest I can find is 296.10. Did you try that version? I am also running gtx570 and have not had issues running on this driver version.

misinformedman

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
It's FIXED!

I tried the card in another desktop and everything worked fine. Seeing that, I knew there had to be some setting on the first machine that was messing things up. With the card still in the second machine, I tried to retrace everything I'd done since putting the card into the first machine, to see if I could recreate the problem. Sure enough, when I installed a program called nvidia inspector, the problem manifested itself on the second machine, just like the first.

I went back onto the first machine, opened up nvidia inspector and clicked "restore to default settings" which, by the numbers actually didn't change anything, but for whatever reason, doing that made the problem go away :)

I don't know what I could have done on nvidia inspector that would make my framerates single digit, especially since my gpu usage and clock speeds were all default values, but clicking "restore to default" fixed it. :)

Thanks everyone!

It already is with the 301.24 drivers.

By the way, I was going to suggest that driver revision as the problem. Other users have had problems with the clocks dropping down to 203 mhz when playing Skyrim. Nvidia is aware of the problem (according to a Nvidia forum thread I read) and a fix is forthcoming.