Catalyst 12.3 won't update to 12.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

capp1688_77

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Hello,

I recently came into possession of an HD 6870x2 and, before installing it, uninstalled my current drivers (for the hd 5870) and did a drive sweep in safe mode. I then ran the regular procedure to install the drivers. When I checked my catalyst software tab, it showed that I had installed 12.3, when in fact I had downloaded 12.4.

I therefore updated directly from the vision control center, but to no avail, it remains at 12.3, and continuously prompts me to update.

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you for your time.

Hadoe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I'm having the same problem with my 5670, I've tried updating though ccc, downloading from amd's website and even updating through steam. I ended up uninstalling and deleting everything amd related on my computer then re installing and ccc still says I'm using 12.3. Hopefully amd gets this sorted out soon.

dreamgoat

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Yea same here I been trying to get 12.4 since yesterday and also I just recently bought a new card and trying to upgrade to 12.4 to no avail. I also unistall 12.3 10 times and install 12.4 reboot everytime afterwards, I still come up with the same results being 12.3. If anyone is able to find out the answer please post here. I know I surely will, thanks...

voipboy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Im having the same issue and its driving me nuts - run the uninstaller, run drive sweeper and no traces of anything left. Run a fresh install of 12.4....and voila shows as 12.3 and prompts me to upgrade!

UnknownStain

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I have this same issue, but after i attempted to update I no longer have ANY sound.. anyone else have this happen? Just before I updated I was watching some youtube vid WITH sound.. so annoying.

where are your speakers connected to? if you didn't turn off on-board sound but is using your GPU or a discrete sound card, CCC updates can mess up settings... had this happen to me several times in the past already with 12.2 and 12.3

UnknownStain

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Oh... duh. Did not think about it just resetting my config. lol oops. Ya I got it now thanks I had to switch the sound from speakers to my TV directly. =D

dreamgoat

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Thanks, for that information. I installed it and delete all ati drivers and anything associated with ati. But still the problems remains and still shows 12.3 after fresh install.

voipboy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I have just tried to install it on another PC - completely different spec as its my media PC with integrated GPU....but same problem. Install completed fine but still shows 12.3......run uninstaller and sweeper, reinstalled but same issue.

Draxtier

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I manually uninstalled the 12.3 drivers, then ran the 12.4 install. The result is that I have the correct drivers (version 8.961) but Catalyst is being reported as 12.3. Tried running Skyrim and had tremendous graphics errors. I'm rolling back to 12.3

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I had issues with 12.4 as well. Driver sweeper only complicated these issues because now I had to uninstall and reinstall net framework 4.0 (win 7-64)

After that the installation succeeded however CCC reports that I still only have 12.1 installed even though Device Manager reports that I have the correct driver for 12.4 (driver 8.961.0.0)

I also had to re-install my sound drivers as well. What a joke!

gannobd9

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Yes, it looks to be showing incorrectly. Release Notes for 12.4 say it's display driver version 8.961 and Device Manager confirms that, even though CCC says Catalyst Version is 12.1 and thus prompts you to update. You'd think ATI would have put a new installer up by now though (I just uninstalled and reinstalled after getting the erroneous CCC update notification, so the installer on the ATI site is still wrong on 5/8 even though it was posted 4/25).

I also agree that it's being shown incorrectly. recently updated to 12.4, it's showing as 12.3 and I've unfortunately lost the ability to open CCC (maybe I'll fix it later). anyway, GPU-Z shows driver 8.961, and I've gained 300 points on 3DMark11 extreme preset compared to when I benched before the update (X2848 to X3159). that's like a 10% difference and very significant improvement

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I had the same issue after using Driver sweeper. CCC wouldn't open and I was getting a CLI.implementation error. To fix this I had to first delete Net framework 4.0 (on win 7-64)(if there are more net framework versions uninstall them all) then reinstall Net framework. You have to do the full uninstall. Installing over it or doing a repair install won't work. This also works for a MOM.implementation error.

I just did another install of CCC 12.4 after using this guide here: http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards To delete some of the files I had to go into safe mode. After I completed all the steps, I disconnected from the internet, went into devise manager and uninstalled my AMD sound and video devices making sure to check the uninstall drivers box. Then I rebooted and repeated the process until there was nothing but the generic windows drivers left.

Now my Catalyst Control Center looks like this
CCC.png

It doesn't even show a spot for the Catalyst Version any more, although at least update reports that I have the latest drivers installed.

MisterStig

Honorable
May 7, 2012

I've found that while driver sweeper was pretty much necessary in older versions of CCC, the newer installers work a LOT better. Last time I used it was to install 12.2. That's my personal experience though, every setup is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.