Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Catalyst 12.3 won't update to 12.4

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2012 10:41:07 PM

Hello,

I recently came into possession of an HD 6870x2 and, before installing it, uninstalled my current drivers (for the hd 5870) and did a drive sweep in safe mode. I then ran the regular procedure to install the drivers. When I checked my catalyst software tab, it showed that I had installed 12.3, when in fact I had downloaded 12.4.

I therefore updated directly from the vision control center, but to no avail, it remains at 12.3, and continuously prompts me to update.

Is there a solution to this?

Thank you for your time.

More about : catalyst update

May 1, 2012 7:56:10 AM

I'm having the same problem with my 5670, I've tried updating though ccc, downloading from amd's website and even updating through steam. I ended up uninstalling and deleting everything amd related on my computer then re installing and ccc still says I'm using 12.3. Hopefully amd gets this sorted out soon.
Score
May 1, 2012 12:20:49 PM

Running 2x6970, tried updating(twice) through the Catalyst updater, same problem. Says I'm still running 12.3.
Score
Related resources
May 1, 2012 1:23:24 PM

Yea same here I been trying to get 12.4 since yesterday and also I just recently bought a new card and trying to upgrade to 12.4 to no avail. I also unistall 12.3 10 times and install 12.4 reboot everytime afterwards, I still come up with the same results being 12.3. If anyone is able to find out the answer please post here. I know I surely will, thanks...
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 1, 2012 5:10:47 PM

uninstall the display drivers manually in control panel removing everything, download driver cleaner from phyxion.net and run the amd driver cleanup, install new driver... result.
Score
May 1, 2012 5:45:21 PM

Already did that mauller, twice, same result I'm afraid.
Score
May 1, 2012 6:56:17 PM

Im having the same issue and its driving me nuts - run the uninstaller, run drive sweeper and no traces of anything left. Run a fresh install of 12.4....and voila shows as 12.3 and prompts me to upgrade!
Score
May 1, 2012 7:03:03 PM

I have this same issue, but after i attempted to update I no longer have ANY sound.. anyone else have this happen? Just before I updated I was watching some youtube vid WITH sound.. so annoying.
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 7:11:26 PM

UnknownStain said:
I have this same issue, but after i attempted to update I no longer have ANY sound.. anyone else have this happen? Just before I updated I was watching some youtube vid WITH sound.. so annoying.

where are your speakers connected to? if you didn't turn off on-board sound but is using your GPU or a discrete sound card, CCC updates can mess up settings... had this happen to me several times in the past already with 12.2 and 12.3
Score
May 1, 2012 7:51:22 PM

vmem said:
where are your speakers connected to? if you didn't turn off on-board sound but is using your GPU or a discrete sound card, CCC updates can mess up settings... had this happen to me several times in the past already with 12.2 and 12.3

Oh... duh. Did not think about it just resetting my config. lol oops. Ya I got it now thanks I had to switch the sound from speakers to my TV directly. =D
Score
May 2, 2012 2:23:09 AM

mauller07 said:
uninstall the display drivers manually in control panel removing everything, download driver cleaner from phyxion.net and run the amd driver cleanup, install new driver... result.

Thanks, for that information. I installed it and delete all ati drivers and anything associated with ati. But still the problems remains and still shows 12.3 after fresh install.
Score
May 2, 2012 2:34:37 AM

I suggest using 12.3 because 12.4 is not a WHQL and having installing problems says on the AMD Graphics forums
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 2:35:22 AM

As far as I know, it's a problem with 12.4, not your install... a google search will turn up a plethora of issues just like the ones you're having on almost every hardware forum on the internet
Score
May 2, 2012 7:29:16 AM

I have just tried to install it on another PC - completely different spec as its my media PC with integrated GPU....but same problem. Install completed fine but still shows 12.3......run uninstaller and sweeper, reinstalled but same issue.
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 2, 2012 11:19:25 AM

same thing here, downloaded 12.4 from amd site, but in the end 12.1 is installed :S
Score
May 2, 2012 11:47:44 AM

12.4 crashed my system the first time I tried to run a game after install.I recommend using 12.3 for a bit longer
Score
May 4, 2012 4:26:04 PM

I manually uninstalled the 12.3 drivers, then ran the 12.4 install. The result is that I have the correct drivers (version 8.961) but Catalyst is being reported as 12.3. Tried running Skyrim and had tremendous graphics errors. I'm rolling back to 12.3
Score
May 4, 2012 4:41:21 PM

I also have the same problem....fresh install of 12.4 and still showing 12.3 in software list....come on AMD sort yourselves out!
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 2:22:24 AM

I had issues with 12.4 as well. Driver sweeper only complicated these issues because now I had to uninstall and reinstall net framework 4.0 (win 7-64)

After that the installation succeeded however CCC reports that I still only have 12.1 installed even though Device Manager reports that I have the correct driver for 12.4 (driver 8.961.0.0)

I also had to re-install my sound drivers as well. What a joke!
Score
May 6, 2012 2:30:45 PM

I'm having the same problem with 2 6850's.
Score
May 7, 2012 5:01:03 PM

Same issue here, but I think it's just being shown incorrectly. Catalyst feels WAY smoother and more responsive for me, so I think it did get updated.
Score
May 8, 2012 10:18:33 PM

Yes, it looks to be showing incorrectly. Release Notes for 12.4 say it's display driver version 8.961 and Device Manager confirms that, even though CCC says Catalyst Version is 12.1 and thus prompts you to update. You'd think ATI would have put a new installer up by now though (I just uninstalled and reinstalled after getting the erroneous CCC update notification, so the installer on the ATI site is still wrong on 5/8 even though it was posted 4/25).
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 3:47:03 AM

I also agree that it's being shown incorrectly. recently updated to 12.4, it's showing as 12.3 and I've unfortunately lost the ability to open CCC (maybe I'll fix it later). anyway, GPU-Z shows driver 8.961, and I've gained 300 points on 3DMark11 extreme preset compared to when I benched before the update (X2848 to X3159). that's like a 10% difference and very significant improvement
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 5:12:59 AM

vmem said:
I've unfortunately lost the ability to open CCC (maybe I'll fix it later).

I had the same issue after using Driver sweeper. CCC wouldn't open and I was getting a CLI.implementation error. To fix this I had to first delete Net framework 4.0 (on win 7-64)(if there are more net framework versions uninstall them all) then reinstall Net framework. You have to do the full uninstall. Installing over it or doing a repair install won't work. This also works for a MOM.implementation error.

I just did another install of CCC 12.4 after using this guide here: http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-unins... To delete some of the files I had to go into safe mode. After I completed all the steps, I disconnected from the internet, went into devise manager and uninstalled my AMD sound and video devices making sure to check the uninstall drivers box. Then I rebooted and repeated the process until there was nothing but the generic windows drivers left.

Now my Catalyst Control Center looks like this

It doesn't even show a spot for the Catalyst Version any more, although at least update reports that I have the latest drivers installed.
Score
May 9, 2012 6:04:07 PM

Idonno said:
I had the same issue after using Driver sweeper. CCC wouldn't open and I was getting a CLI.implementation error. To fix this I had to first delete Net framework 4.0 (on win 7-64)(if there are more net framework versions uninstall them all) then reinstall Net framework. You have to do the full uninstall. Installing over it or doing a repair install won't work. This also works for a MOM.implementation error.

I just did another install of CCC 12.4 after using this guide here: http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-unins... To delete some of the files I had to go into safe mode. After I completed all the steps, I disconnected from the internet, went into devise manager and uninstalled my AMD sound and video devices making sure to check the uninstall drivers box. Then I rebooted and repeated the process until there was nothing but the generic windows drivers left.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz232/Idonno1/CCC.png
It doesn't even show a spot for the Catalyst Version any more, although at least update reports that I have the latest drivers installed.

I've found that while driver sweeper was pretty much necessary in older versions of CCC, the newer installers work a LOT better. Last time I used it was to install 12.2. That's my personal experience though, every setup is different.
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2012 6:58:39 PM

MisterStig said:
I've found that while driver sweeper was pretty much necessary in older versions of CCC, the newer installers work a LOT better. Last time I used it was to install 12.2. That's my personal experience though, every setup is different.
That's what I hear. Unfortunately for me the installation never works without first using some kind of driver cleaner or the guide posted above. It's not like I use a driver cleaner whether I need to or not. I always try to update the normal way first but, for the last 10 or so updates I've had to use a driver sweeper as a last resort.

While I'm sure there are many others that like you have a flawless installation, there are also many like me that aren't that lucky. I don't know why but, I do know that it's not because we all use a driver sweeper as a 1st step. I'm sure some do but, I think for most of us it's a last resort.

Maybe now that I've followed the steps in that guide the next update installation will work like it should. We will see.
Score
May 9, 2012 10:33:44 PM

I ended up wiping windows, I needed to clean off my SSD anyways.
Score
May 17, 2012 3:36:31 PM

12.4 install doesn't clean-up properly the registry or just forger to update version information to 12.4

If you run regedit looking for "catalyst" even after full uninstall, you will find it in CurrentControlset/services/ amdkmdiag.

Just del this amdkmdiag & reboot, then proceed with install.

Note that CCC will not display 12.4 after that but no more 12.3, and check for update will tell you you are up to date.
Score
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 7:58:24 PM

Ok, to sum it up and feel free of any imaginations;
Quote:
Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for contacting AMD

I understand that you installed 12.4 but the system information has not changed to 12.4 instead it states that it’s running Catalyst version 11.5. If I have missed any critical information please let me know as my suggestions may change.

It has been a noted issue that when you update to Catalyst 12.4 it does not change the system information. Our Catalyst engineering team is currently working on it and there should be a fix for it in 12.5. If you went through the 12.4 installation and it was all successful it means that the system is using the 12.4 drivers just that the system information did not change. If you do need a current version number in the system information to play games or to run a certain application my recommendation is to install 12.3 for now till 12.5 is released.

Windows 7 64bit previous drivers:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownl [...] sta64.aspx

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care
Score
May 19, 2012 1:05:54 AM

ilysaml said:
Ok, to sum it up and feel free of any imaginations;
Quote:

I understand that you installed 12.4 but the system information has not changed to 12.4 instead it states that it’s running Catalyst version 11.5. If I have missed any critical information please let me know as my suggestions may change.

It has been a noted issue that when you update to Catalyst 12.4 it does not change the system information. Our Catalyst engineering team is currently working on it and there should be a fix for it in 12.5. If you went through the 12.4 installation and it was all successful it means that the system is using the 12.4 drivers just that the system information did not change. If you do need a current version number in the system information to play games or to run a certain application my recommendation is to install 12.3 for now till 12.5 is released.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

THANK YOU!!! Finally a GOOD answer!!! I will just wait for the 12.5 drivers then...
Score
May 22, 2012 7:55:46 AM

And the other problem with the latest driver is the big FPS drops for instance in CoD4. Anybody any idea why that happened?
Im running 2 ATI 5850 Black editions
Score
May 22, 2012 12:44:32 PM

Guys i had the same problem updating from 12.1 to 12.4. all i did was intstall the 12.4a hotfix after and all was well :p 
Score
June 11, 2012 1:17:21 AM

Im having alot a problems from this. If I select things like manual fan control it wont work when I set the speed. As well as all my games are starting to have green flickering and crashing.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2012 4:36:37 AM

Xerxcuss said:
Im having alot a problems from this. If I select things like manual fan control it wont work when I set the speed. As well as all my games are starting to have green flickering and crashing.
That sounds really bad and I wouldn't wait for the next driver version, even though it should be just around the corner. I would try something like what I did (outlined below) before its to late and you have permanent damage. Hopefully you don't already.

Quote:

After this you may also want to reinstall an older driver version that worked for you or this newer 12.6 beta version here: http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-6-beta-8-98-june... or http://blogs.amd.com/play/2012/05/31/amd-catalyst%E2%84... Just make sure you have a supported card and OS.
Score
June 11, 2012 7:25:45 PM

The problem is with the installer itself, when you do a custom install it think that 12.3 is the most up-to-date version. Just wait for a newer update which will hopefully fix this.
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2012 12:46:07 AM

A_A_M_I_R said:
The problem is with the installer itself, when you do a custom install it think that 12.3 is the most up-to-date version. Just wait for a newer update which will hopefully fix this.

Not true, In the case of my last post. Re-read! Also Xerxcuss (the post I was responding to) is experiencing errors that could possibly permanently damage his card if it hasn't already, therefore waiting for another (non-beta) update is not a safe option.
Score
June 25, 2012 8:09:58 AM

having the same problem

also tried to install the 12.2 and it still says 12.3 as the version

also ghost recon future soldier now plays with black bars on all sides but the normal windows desktop is all the way to the edge of the screen

effing bull crap ati!
Score
June 28, 2012 4:54:34 AM

its a registry problem. mine did the same thing. if ur running 8.961 then ur running the right version its just not updating ur registry to tell i u updated. ati's fault. u can go in the registry and change the version if u just want to but it is installed. read this. i copied and pasted this from another forum. i could not find the page that i went to to fix my registry to reflect 12.4. sorry. its on google somewhere.

emailed AMD, this was their response. figured i'd share

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care
Score
June 28, 2012 5:42:20 AM

If you are lacking sound after a failed install go to control panel -> System and Security-> Find and fix problems. Speakers should work afterwards.
Score
June 29, 2012 3:16:47 AM

This is crazy I am having same issue for some time now. I had 12.3 that I uninstalled. And I tried 12.4 and just now I tried 12.7 and I see same thing in Catalyust version it's still showing 12.3 yet I installed 12.7 Beta

Anyone know if it's just numbers and actual driver IS 12.7 "brains" or it's actually 12.3 yet I don't know how it's possible if I uninstalled and re installed new 12.7 ....

Anyone ?
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 29, 2012 10:02:50 AM

XAKEP said:
Anyone know if it's just numbers and actual driver IS 12.7 "brains" or it's actually 12.3 yet I don't know how it's possible if I uninstalled and re installed new 12.7 ....

Anyone ?

Check your Driver versions. For most of us it's just the registry reporting the incorrect Catalyst version but, our driver versions are up to date. It's more of an annoyance than a real problem.
Score
July 20, 2012 10:08:30 PM

Regarding the sound issues.

After I attempted to update to 12.4 (several times and I'm still at 12.3) I now have to unplug my HDMI cable and plug it back in to get sound if I shut my monitor off.

I'll take a look at where my speakers are connected.

I'm having a problem with my Blu-Ray drive that I don't think is related to the Catalyst issues. I'm working on that so I'm not going to start fiddling with the Catalyst drivers (now up to version 12.6 for the update through the Catalyst control panel).

After I fix (or give up on) the Blu-Ray problem I'll get to the Catalyst problem. If I find anything relevant I'll post it.
Score
July 20, 2012 10:32:31 PM

OK. I tempted fate and went ahead and tried to update my Catalyst software to 12.6. It appears to have worked.

I'll get back to y'all about the speakers and Blu-Ray drive after I reboot and try them out.

-----------

Update:

Looks like 12.6 fixed the speakers too. Only tried a couple of things but so far so good.

The Blu-Ray drive needed a regedit to fix. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Now I can enjoy movies again.

-------------
Additional Info:

Not that this relates to the Catalyst issue but I also went into BIOS and disabled the onboard sound chip. I am using a discrete Radeon HD card which has its own sound chip. As far as I can tell this did not cause any new issues. I did this because when I was playing a DVD my MCE remote would not adjust the sound levels. It would mute but not adjust.
Score
July 23, 2012 9:17:18 PM

leftkidney said:
having the same problem

also tried to install the 12.2 and it still says 12.3 as the version

also ghost recon future soldier now plays with black bars on all sides but the normal windows desktop is all the way to the edge of the screen

effing bull crap ati!

Hey if your still having issues with Ghost Recon Future Soldier and the black bars around the screen there are a couple fixes for that until they patch it. First, if your monitor is hooked up with HDMI, switch it out for a DVI cable, worked for me and I have multi monitor setup. Second fix is, open notepad and go to \Documents\Ubisoft\Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier\default.cfg and change where it says Fullscreen True to read Fullscreen False then save it. When you start the game it will open in windowed mode, then go to graphic setting and restore defaults and re-enter the resolution you want to play with. The only problem with this, is that you have to edit default.cfg everytime before you open the game. Hope this helps.

-MDG-ElegantMess
Score
July 27, 2012 11:45:24 AM

1. First of all make sure you update all framework updates (very important) and any other Microsoft updates.

2. Restart computer

3. Download 12.6 update from website onto your computer and install it.

4. Then after restart it should then show update 12.6.

(All I did for mine was update framework, and it worked). 99% sure this is the answer as nothing else was done to computer and have tried same download 4 times. New download from website and updating framework...try it.....let me know....

Mike

Score
!