New Rig, which pieces are better??

Kirunlol

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Gaming / rendering computer, need something that can fraps things on max and render videos fast, but won't break the bank LOL. I have some doubts on some pieces, and i don't know which to go with, or if you guys know other pieces that are better than anything i have, and so on, the typical first time noob making a computer questions =p

Windows Pro 64 Bit
2tb Western Digital Caviar Black
Crucial M4 64GB SSD"
ROG Crosshair V formula
Gtx 670/680 or 7970 some reviews saids it better O_O but it's cheaper than 680?
G-Skill or mushkin 16 Gb (8 Gb x 2)
XFX Core Edition Pro 750W or OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Modular or ENERMAX NAXN 750W
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or Antec Khuler 920
Corsair 500R or NZXT Phantom
i7 3770k or FX 8150 (Overclock)

PLEASE HELP! I wan't something i won't regret! :( :heink:

I know i've asked before it's just i want to know for sure since im a first timer... LOL

Solution

1) You are paying quite a premium for 4gb of vram. Almost GTX680 prices. You will get better performance out of a GTX680.
If budget is not a great issue, get the GTX680. But, a GTX670 comes very close for $100...
Here are some thoughts:

1) For gaming, the graphics card is the most important component. A single GTX670 or 7970 will game on a single monitor very well. From a performance point of view, it would be hard to tell the difference. Pick your favorite, AMD or Nvidia.
I happen to like Nvidia; I am more comfortable with their drivers.

2) For gaming, the 3570K is as good as it gets. But for $100 more, the 3770k has hyperthreading which will help with multi threaded tasks such as rendering. The FX-8150 with 8 threads would be good for rendering, but not so good for gaming. The cores are much slower than either intel option. Stick with either Intel option.

3) Really, any Z77 based motherboard will perform as well as another. No need for a top of the line model. They will have better voltage regulation that is needed only for record level maximum overclockers. A conservative oc to 4.3 or so does not need anything special. Pick your favorite manufacturer, they are all good.

4) A 16gb kit of 2 x 8gb DDR3 1600 ram is good. Pick low profile ram to avoid heat spreader interference. 1.5v ram actually does not need any at all.

5) A GTX670 or 7970 needs only a good 500w PSU. I would buy something in the 650w range.
My short list of quality psu's would include XFX, Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, and PC P&C.

6) A 64gb ssd is a bit small. 120gb would be better. For reliability, I suggest Samsung 830 or any intel SSD.

7) Is there some feature of windows 64 pro that you need? Home premium will suit most home users. If you later need pro, say for >16gb of ram, then you can buy the anytime upgrade.

8) Cases are a personal thing. Bust your budget for one you really lust after. You will be looking at it for a long time.
Either one you mentioned will do well. Personally, I prefer small and quiet cases.

9) I don't like the all-n one coolers. They tend to be expensive, noisy, and not as reliable as a air cooler. For a conservative OC, they really are not needed. A good air cooler will perform just as well in a decently ventilated case.

10) As a first time builder, I suggest you take the time to download and read, cover to cover the manuals for the motherboard and case.

----------good luck----------

Kirunlol

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Hey!! Thanks for the help i really appreciate it man! : )

For the graphic card seems, like a lot of people prefer the 670 over everything right now, Is there a huge difference between 670 and 680? And if not which 670 should i go with like what brand on new eggs..

I'm going with the 3770k i7

Motherboard: (Which 1 do you suggest?) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128545&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-GIGABYTE-_-13128545 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Motherboards%20-%20Intel-_-ASUS-_-13131837&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID=

4. mushkin 16 Gb (8 Gb x 2) going with this one, do you think is good?

5. XFX Core Edition Pro 750W ( Just incase,) BY the way if i go dual 670 is 750 enough?

6. Going with 128 GB Crucial M4, Do you think that brand is good?

7. Don't really need anything off windows pro, but just incase i might just go with it=/

8. Stuck between Corsair 500R or Graphite 600T

9. Since you were telling me about all in one coolers and how you don't like them i'm going to stick with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, do you think thats a good one?

10. Thanks for the info, will do, since i heard these pieces are very delicate =P

Thanks for any help you might give me again =) Don't want something im going to regret you know xD

I like EVGA as a brand. I like the direct exhaust cooler on this version of GTX670:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130787

I see no need for the pricier versions,
The ASUS P8Z77-V LK seems fine to me:

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

750w should be good for sli GTX670. Over provisioning a bit won't hurt; the psu will use only the power it needs.

I think Crucial M4 is ok, but I think samsung and intel are better. They make their own nand chips, and can do a better job of validation testing.

Buy the case you love.

cm hyper212 is a popular choice and good.

The parts are really not that delicate. They only fit one way, do not force it.
I suggested reading manuals to see what is involved before you jump in.

Kirunlol

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

I was thinking about this graphic card http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=04G-P4-2673-KR&family=GeForce%20600%20Series%20Family&sw ( Do you think this one is worth it or just go for 680?)

For the SSD- Samsung and intel is better? Can you give me the new eggs of the 128 or 120 version?

Should i go with 750 or go with 850 or 900 or whatever...

And for the motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V LK or GIGABYTE UD5H someone said there both good, but in reality which one is the best, like i said i might eventually go 2 670's

thedeathclox

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2012
Just a little side note, I think you should go for an Antec Nine Hundred (or Nine Hundred Two) case. It's got the beautiful looks, and its got cooling and practicality to back it up. Also, theyre pretty damn cheap considering. From direct canada theyre $100, and elsewhere theyre about 130 for a nine hundred or 150 or so for the version 2. Good price and excellent quality.=I

1) You are paying quite a premium for 4gb of vram. Almost GTX680 prices. You will get better performance out of a GTX680.
If budget is not a great issue, get the GTX680. But, a GTX670 comes very close for $100 less.

2) 750w is fine, but I see that the XFX850 is only $5 more. A good deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207011

Also look at the PC P&C silencer 750w. Silver rated, at $90, plus a 15% promo code. Another good deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027

3) For sli GTX670, both are equally good. The gigabyte is more expensive because it has a few extra 6gb sata connectors. Useful, only if you plan on attaching more than 6 sata devices. For most of us, the cheaper asus will do.

Solution