Describe the quality of these psus??

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Yesterday, i went to pc store. i saw these psu which attract me

Gigabyte Superb E570 with 570W at peak and 460W at normal.
has 80 plus bronze
has dual +12V rails in which both of the rails are 17A.
uses japan technology for durability, coolness and efficiency.
price in US is around 85 dollar while in euro is around 64.

Xigmatek NRP-VC603 230V PFC
output wattage: 600W
dual +12V rail which both of them is 22A
equip almost the same wires as the gigabyte one. has pci-e 6+2 pin and pci-e 4+4 pin. have at least 6 peripheral connectors and 6 sata connectors.
price in US is around 74 dollar while in euro is around 57.

both of them are heavy. i mostly use my pc as mid-gaming which i will buy radeon hd 7770 (if available, sapphire radeon hd 7770 OC) or radeon hd 7750 (also i choose sapphire hd 7750 oc if available)

right now im using a 'fake' rating psu. it has a pci-e power connector but features 18A on +12V rail. it says 600W max but if calculate carefully, by its total, is around 400W. my pc is not power hunger cuz i use low-power parts, no fans (i open the case and use 5V usb table fan instead), cpu TDP is 50W etc
so by my currrent pc, would i need to upgrade my psu to use hd 7770, hd 7750 or even gt 640 or gt 630??? is my psu power enough to use these cards? someone says that my psu with my current system can run geforce 9800gt that uses 120W max (if im not mistaken the Watt)

Solution

Hi - did find a review of Gig superb 550 on Hardware Secrets;
You should read it, here are some comments from the conclusions:

"We can't understand why when it comes to Power Supplies,
tier 1 Motherboard suppliers offer low end products"

"Superb 550 is a decent low end 450w unit...

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
yeah. suppose my psu can run hd 7750, gt640 and gt 630. i make a mistake.
geforce 9800gt uses 105W and sapphire radeon hd 7770 (non Flex, Vapor-X, Ultimate, OC) uses only 80W (just normal version, maybe).
i not really know if possible but someone says my psu can run 9800gt with my system (low-power system like CPU TDP of 50W, no casing fans). maybe yes and no. so if i really can run 9800gt, i can run hd 7770 too, right?

anyways, how about those psu??

Hi - The Gigabyte seems to be a quality unit (from publ specs), but I haven't found a lab review of it yet.
Will check further for lab test & check other psu now, will reply once I have found anything.

Tom

Hi again - found less on the Xigmatek PSU - lots of sites offering it and listing specs,
but no indication of quality. Their NRP series does have three other PSU's
on the 'johnnylucky.org' Lemon list, so I'd be wary of that one.

Of the two, the Gigabyte seems to be better, but would be nice to
find a quality review.

Tom

Hi - did find a review of Gig superb 550 on Hardware Secrets;
You should read it, here are some comments from the conclusions:

"We can't understand why when it comes to Power Supplies,
tier 1 Motherboard suppliers offer low end products"

"Superb 550 is a decent low end 450w unit if you pull between 180 and 270 w from it,
on other load patterns it's effeciency is too low"

"And to make things worse, we couldn't pull 550w from it"

"Superb 550 is far from superb, and too expensive for what it is"

This is why you need reviews from reputable review sites.

Doesn't look like either of thes PSU's are worthy of your money.

Tom

Solution

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

do you know the review websits for these psu?
the gigabyte one has 80plus bronze logo but the other one didnt.
my friends said that always see the ampere rating (+12V one) before buy it and even it has high wattage output, see the +12V first.
i not really sure about psu and the quality but all i only know is about power. and some thread says CoolerMaster eXTreme Power series is fake rating. i even sees the reviews. if im buying those series, at least would it keep my pc alive for 3 years (of course with hd 7750 and with my current pc)?

Hi - hardwaresecrets.com

Tom

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

the gigabyte psu kinda... not good... it has, can i say... fake 80-plus bronze. when getting nearer to labelled wattage, the efficiency is around 50-70%. not good. the site recommends ocz one for $70 USD that is far better than this.

the xigmatek one... not founded too...

Hi again - OCZ is one of those brands that offers some really good PSU's
and some not too good. Would need to know Model # you are considering
to see if I can find a reputable review on it.

Tom

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
well, at least, the gigabyte psu one is confirm to be 'nice and expensive' psu. and it has 'nice' 80plus. so i just blacklist this one. xigmatek i dont know through... well, thanks.

but, keep posting more infos for any related to this.

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

hei, i wonder how about Corsair CX430 and Corsair CX430 V2?
*correction

If you're getting CX series Corsair and you have your choice, take either.
The CX v2 is made by CWT, and the other by Seasonic. The v2 has had a
lot of good reviews tho.

Tom

Ikmalhidayat

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
so.. whats the difference? heard the soldering for the CX430 V2 is not that good. its pretty the same for wattage, 430W. these psus are not modular, has large 12V@24A (around) rail. which one is better for price and also aging (going to use for at least 3 years cuz majorly, i only upgrades when a part of the pc such as mobo, cpu and gpu is faulty and im not the one who get the highest-end one.