Strange 5 - 10 sec hanging / freezing

Hi Everyone,

My pc has been acting-up recently and I'm experiencing what i can only describe as short freezes or hiccups where the system will not respond for 5 - 10 secs. After the freeze the system resumes regular operation (ie. programs keep running, video keeps playing etc.) I didn't notice it at first but it seems to be consistently happening every 20 - 40 minutes. It's usually evident when i play videos either from the pc or streamed to another pc. I also see it in games and the freeze period is greatly amplified inside the virtual machines i'm running (freezes go up 15 - 30 secs).

I have no idea where to begin tracking down the problem, so i'm putting this our there to the TM experts.......

Here are my system specs:
> Mainboard : Gigabyte X58A-UD5
> Processor : Intel Core i7 950 @ 3066MHz
> Physical Memory : 6144MB (3 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
> Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
> Hard Disk : OCZ-VERTEX2 3.5 ATA Device (120GB)
> Hard Disk : Western Digital WD20EARS-00MVWB0 (2000GB) * 3
> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS50
> Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL 2005FPW - 20 inches
> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter * 2
> Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
> DirectX : Version 11.00
12 answers Last reply
More about strange hanging freezing
  1. Are the graphics integrated? the same thing happens to me and it turns out it is my gpu so i am upgrading to a 6870 from my old 8800gt.
  2. 2fast4thetown_down said:
    Are the graphics integrated? the same thing happens to me and it turns out it is my gpu so i am upgrading to a 6870 from my old 8800gt.

No the graphics are not integrated. I have 2 PowerColor 6870s in Crossfire.
  3. Crossfire sometimes causes problems did it happen when you had one?
  4. 2fast4thetown_down said:
    Crossfire sometimes causes problems did it happen when you had one?

I have crossfire disabled but still have 2 cards installed in the pc. Do you know of any programs that can monitor or track these hickups? I'd like to get an idea of how often it happens.
  5. Umm...take one out and see if the problem still occurs if it does then put it in xfire
  6. 2fast4thetown_down said:
    Umm...take one out and see if the problem still occurs if it does then put it in xfire

Thanks I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know how it goes.
  7. I remove the 2nd card and now i'm only running one HD6870 but still noticing some hickups in games. Any advice would be appreciated.
  8. Do you have the latest drivers...If not then one of them may be faulty so put the 2nd one in instead of the 1st.
  9. 2fast4thetown_down said:
    Do you have the latest drivers...If not then one of them may be faulty so put the 2nd one in instead of the 1st.

I do have the latest drivers. I tried the other card alone but still noticing the hanging / freezing.
  10. how long have you had it??
  11. 2fast4thetown_down said:
    how long have you had it??

this is an older build (1.5 years old). Problem has been occurring for as long as i can remember but haven't had time to track down the root of the issue until now.
  12. My guess is it is not the graphic card because of all the testing but if you can try a friends or another one you have that is preferably nvidia.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems