20D Problem

Iv'e had my 20D for nearly 8 months now. I'm getting an occasional error
message "err 99"
I have a fully charged battery, original Canon lense. ( I've changed CF
cards - formatted, etc..)
This problem can occur with or without flash.
It is a random problem. I may shoot 100 exposures, then have 2-3 error codes
in a row, a few more good photos, then the error codes again. After that
things work fine again.
In my viewfinder, the image dims when this happens.
I have to turn off the camera and on again to reset.
Posed photos, scenics are not a big deal, but the candid wedding photos,
i.e. Kiss at altar, may be missed.
Anyone out there have any ideas on what is going on here?
15 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Zippy wrote:

    > Iv'e had my 20D for nearly 8 months now. I'm getting an occasional error
    > message "err 99"
    > I have a fully charged battery, original Canon lense. ( I've changed CF
    > cards - formatted, etc..)
    > This problem can occur with or without flash.
    > It is a random problem. I may shoot 100 exposures, then have 2-3 error codes
    > in a row, a few more good photos, then the error codes again. After that
    > things work fine again.
    > In my viewfinder, the image dims when this happens.
    > I have to turn off the camera and on again to reset.
    > Posed photos, scenics are not a big deal, but the candid wedding photos,
    > i.e. Kiss at altar, may be missed.
    > Anyone out there have any ideas on what is going on here?

    The gold electrical contacts on the lens and camera body can
    pick up oil and dust.. A dirty contact can cause an error 99.

    Try rub the contacts *gently* with a soft clean cloth like
    the microfiber lens cleaning type.

    Zippy wrote:
    > Iv'e had my 20D for nearly 8 months now. I'm getting an occasional error
    > message "err 99"
    > I have a fully charged battery, original Canon lense. ( I've changed CF
    > cards - formatted, etc..)
    > This problem can occur with or without flash.
    > It is a random problem. I may shoot 100 exposures, then have 2-3 error codes
    > in a row, a few more good photos, then the error codes again. After that
    > things work fine again.
    > In my viewfinder, the image dims when this happens.
    > I have to turn off the camera and on again to reset.
    > Posed photos, scenics are not a big deal, but the candid wedding photos,
    > i.e. Kiss at altar, may be missed.
    > Anyone out there have any ideas on what is going on here?

    I don't own a Canon dslr, but this guy seems to think it's dirty
    contacts between the lens and body - try cleaning them with a pink
    pencil eraser -

    http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/

    Good Luck!
    ECM

    IS it happening with one lens and not another? IF the lens has some
    sort of electronic problem or dirty contacts, it will give error codes.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird

    I tried the suggestions of cleaning the contacts with a micro fiber cloth,
    the same stuff still happens."err 99" , intermittent.
    The lens is the standard 18-55mm, it doesn't get changed.

    "Zippy" <tvsphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I tried the suggestions of cleaning the contacts with a micro fiber cloth,
    >the same stuff still happens."err 99" , intermittent.
    > The lens is the standard 18-55mm, it doesn't get changed.

    Still, probably the fault of the lens, Err99 is a communication error.
    Especially if it only happens with that lens. Pick up another at the camera
    store, and try it on your camera, or rent something else and try it. It may
    be, too, the contacts on the camera, rather than the lens...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    I bought my 20D bundled with the 17-85mm EF-S, and never had a single
    ERR99 in the 5 months I used it. Then I bought a 75-300 IS USM and got
    the error the first time I mounted the lens. Since then, I've update
    the camera's firmware to 2.0, but still get the occassional lockup. I
    don't need to remove the batteries, just cycle the power, but it's
    still a PITA.

    I've noticed that I get the lockups when there are harsh reflections in
    the scene- the sun bouncing off of a highly polished metal surface
    caused the most recent one.

    I just figured that it was an inherant incompatibility between the new
    20D and the (relatively) older 75-300mm - that lens was the first IS
    lens made, and I understand that its design has not changed since its
    introduction. I'm just a hobbyist, not a pro, so if I miss a shot
    because of the lockup, it's not the end of the world. Still, when you
    consider what Canon gets for these things they should be bug-free.

    -Ben

[...]

    Vince,

    Sorry 'bout that double-post - must be too little blood in my caffiene
    stream giving me the jitters, causing the dreaded double-click!

    Anyway, I stand by my words (all 2X of 'em!)

    I do agree with you not 100% but 1000% LOL BEN

    Vince....

    > Iv'e had my 20D for nearly 8 months now. I'm getting an occasional error
    > message "err 99"
    [..]

    My "err 99" problems were nothing to do with any of the 3 lenses I used. I
    also had annoyingly sporadic "CF error" problems with all of my hi speed 1
    and 2 GB CF cards. Canon first replaced the CF read/write components but the
    problem continued. They then upgraded the firmware to V2.0.0(?) and the
    problem appears solved. It also solved a problem of being unable to read
    the Canon formatted cards via a USB II reader on a new Sony Vaio. Your
    problem may have nothing to do with my "err 99", but you may have a solution
    in a firmware upgrade.

    You are right, the "the candid wedding photos, i.e. Kiss at altar, may be
    missed." In my case, I was hanging out of a helicopter 20 feet above a
    Jabiru (black headed stork), flying above a creek. Not the time to be
    opening the battery door to clear a hung err 99!

    Dave

    All this might be "childhood diseases" of the digital cameras, amazing as
    they might be, it's still a totally new idea/technology, especially dSLRs.I
    remember when I was working at miele representatives here in Iraklion, back
    in '95 (www.miele.com) the "electronic" refrigerators, also without
    thermostat, but with an electronic circuit instead, were developing some
    very serious problems even after months of usage.I think that the best
    refrigerators are the traditional ones, while I find that the digital camera
    I own now (Kodak CX 7300) is the best I ever had.
    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    > "Zippy" <tvsphoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Iv'e had my 20D for nearly 8 months now. I'm getting an occasional error
    > > message "err 99"
    > [..]
    >
    > My "err 99" problems were nothing to do with any of the 3 lenses I used.
    > also had annoyingly sporadic "CF error" problems with all of my hi speed 1
    > and 2 GB CF cards. Canon first replaced the CF read/write components but
    the
    > problem continued. They then upgraded the firmware to V2.0.0(?) and the
    > problem appears solved. It also solved a problem of being unable to read
    > the Canon formatted cards via a USB II reader on a new Sony Vaio. Your
    > problem may have nothing to do with my "err 99", but you may have a
    solution
    > in a firmware upgrade.
    >
    > You are right, the "the candid wedding photos, i.e. Kiss at altar, may be
    > missed." In my case, I was hanging out of a helicopter 20 feet above a
    > Jabiru (black headed stork), flying above a creek. Not the time to be
    > opening the battery door to clear a hung err 99!
    >
    > Dave

    earlier in this thread someone suggested that you use a pencil eraser to
    clean the contacts. This was discussed by Arthur Morris (bird shooter, see:
    http://www.birdsasart.com/) who initially suggested to use the eraser route
    as well. He was contacted by his Canon rep and told this is a real no no.
    Search his site if you wish to see the article on this. The micro fibre
    route seems to be the best way to go if you have to clean the contacts.

    regards

    Don from Down Under
    > Vince,
    >
    > Sorry 'bout that double-post - must be too little blood in my caffiene
    > stream giving me the jitters, causing the dreaded double-click!
    >
    > Anyway, I stand by my words (all 2X of 'em!)

    > Still, when you
    > consider what Canon gets for these things they should be bug-free.

    Actually, I'd LOVE to know how much Canon gets for each camera - by the time
    the retailer + distributor + importer + importer + manufacturer have all
    taken their cut - not to mention taxes.

    Zippy wrote:
    > Iv'e had my 20D for nearly 8 months now. I'm getting an occasional error
    > message "err 99"
    > I have a fully charged battery, original Canon lense. ( I've changed CF
    > cards - formatted, etc..)
    > This problem can occur with or without flash.
    > It is a random problem. I may shoot 100 exposures, then have 2-3 error codes
    > in a row, a few more good photos, then the error codes again. After that
    > things work fine again.
    > In my viewfinder, the image dims when this happens.
    > I have to turn off the camera and on again to reset.
    > Posed photos, scenics are not a big deal, but the candid wedding photos,
    > i.e. Kiss at altar, may be missed.
    > Anyone out there have any ideas on what is going on here?

    8 months would make it one of the same batch my first 20D came from. If
    it has version 1.0 or 1.1 of firmware then that is the problem. If you
    use a "Grip" with 2 batteries, this can also be the problem where the
    contacts inside the battery case are very poorly designed. Canon
    recognize the design fault (yeah six months down the track!) and are
    doing a recall on the grips.

    Anyway... This is definitely a warranty problem if the firmware upgrade
    doesn't fix it. About 95% of the time it will. On some of the cameras,
    there is a short circuit taking place in the shutter button.

    These cameras are riddled with stupid design bugs that should never have
    been allowed into production. Canon are so obsessed with gaining market
    share, they release cameras which have such great potential, months
    before testing is finished... Sort of like Microsoft: Let your customers
    find the bugs!

    --
    Douglas,
    Zero care factor for negative responses

    On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 05:52:25 +1000, Pixby <pixby_douglas@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Zippy wrote:
    >> Iv'e had my 20D for nearly 8 months now. I'm getting an occasional error
    >> message "err 99"
    >> I have a fully charged battery, original Canon lense. ( I've changed CF
    >> cards - formatted, etc..)
    >> This problem can occur with or without flash.
    >> It is a random problem. I may shoot 100 exposures, then have 2-3 error codes
    >> in a row, a few more good photos, then the error codes again. After that
    >> things work fine again.
    >> In my viewfinder, the image dims when this happens.
    >> I have to turn off the camera and on again to reset.
    >> Posed photos, scenics are not a big deal, but the candid wedding photos,
    >> i.e. Kiss at altar, may be missed.
    >> Anyone out there have any ideas on what is going on here?
    >>

    >8 months would make it one of the same batch my first 20D came from. If
    >it has version 1.0 or 1.1 of firmware then that is the problem. If you
    >use a "Grip" with 2 batteries, this can also be the problem where the
    >contacts inside the battery case are very poorly designed. Canon
    >recognize the design fault (yeah six months down the track!) and are
    >doing a recall on the grips.
    >
    >Anyway... This is definitely a warranty problem if the firmware upgrade
    >doesn't fix it. About 95% of the time it will. On some of the cameras,
    >there is a short circuit taking place in the shutter button.
    >
    >These cameras are riddled with stupid design bugs that should never have
    >been allowed into production. Canon are so obsessed with gaining market
    >share, they release cameras which have such great potential, months
    >before testing is finished... Sort of like Microsoft: Let your customers
    >find the bugs!

    I really appreciate all the people who give their experiences with
    this camera. I want to buy one (I'm just a hobbyist) but I'm afraid
    after dropping about $2,000, I will get a camera with the bug and of
    course with my luck, mine will happen after the warrantee is up. Like
    you said, I expect no bugs when you spend this much money but based on
    so many here, that may not be the case?? Guess I'm trying to just
    spend my money wisely if that's possible with buying a camera in this
    price range.

Photo Cameras Product