Solved

Bottlenecking ? low fps

I just upgraded my graphics card, from a gtx260 to a n560gtx-ti twin frozr II 2GD5.
everything im reading is saying this card should be able to handle world of warcraft on ultra with ease but i am getting 10 - 20 fps in a 25 man raid.
was wondering if there is a way to fix this

my computer specs are
intel(R) core (TM)2 quad cpu Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
6 GB or ram
nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti
monitor 1680 x 1050 22 inch

not too good with computers so any help would be appreciated thanks
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bottlenecking
  1. What psu are you currently running?

Your cpu is causing a bottleneck on the 560ti.
    Overclocking your cpu will give your 560ti a good boost. If you dont have any experience in overclcocking ask a friend that knows how to, as its something that takes time to learn. You will aslo want to invest in a good cpu cooler for the overclocking.
  2. i have a corsair tx650W psu
  3. Ok thats good , your psu is not an issue.
  4. Best answer
    It's strange because even a q6600 should have no problem with WoW.Anyway I would also suggest O.C.ing.You may even just try a very small O.C. to see if their are any gains.

Here's a guide if you don't know how.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

Do you have an aftermarket cooler?
    What motherboard do you have?
  5. i do have an aftermarket heat sink and mobo i dont really remember the specs of it ill have to go find my box unless there is an easier way to find it
  6. Is this a OEM computer?
  7. no i just got my box and it is a nforce 780i sli
    and a zalman cnps9500 at
  8. For wow is hard not having issues with FPS. In my system i play ultra 1600x900 and flying around in most zones i get more than 100 fps (GPU usage 100%), while in a battleground or LFR 25man i get 20-40fps (GPU usage 40-60%). Even in ogrimmar, when its really populated i get 20fps near the bank(GPU usage 15-30%). So the problem is the game, not the hardware...

Overclocking it will help a lot, becasue wow likes faster frequencies. But you should understand and accept as many of us that WoW is another bad optimized game :(
    Mostly becasue it still uses the same engine from 2004 when it was launch.

Best regards, sir :)
  9. Alright then it's definitely a CPU bottleneck.Use the guide I provided above and start O.C.ing.But always be sure to watch your temps.
  10. CPU bottleneck. Invest in a phenom before they're gone from the shelves. or spend twice the money for an intel at 1/5th better performancce. /troll sequence ended.
  11. Does his motherboard support an AMD processor? Not good advice supremeusa....

Just overclock the Q6600, it will be like a free upgrade!

Follow the linked guide from purple stank.
  12. Try disabling addons and shadows. That's what causes most performance issues in WoW (speaking from personal experience).
  13. Core 2 Quad's are about the same as many Phenoms II's and some are even faster that them. If I got a Phenom II x4 945 @ 3.6Ghz and i am having the same issue with it, as many people i have met with good machines, even high end ones. It's for sure cpu bottleneck. Overcloking will help a bunch

Here something you will like to read about World of Wacraft Cataclysm...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-9.html

Take care pal
  14. thanks for all the info i will try to oc the q6600
  15. Best answer selected by hakkoo.
  16. whats a good number to stay below on the temp for OC
  17. http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-(8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB)

TCASE B3=62.2°C; G0=71°C

It depends which stepping your CPU is.Download CPU-Z and it should tell you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product