Build based on the 3930K

Vasilis82

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi everyone!
this is my first post in the forum.

I have a few questions about a computer that I want to build based on the cpu of Intel i7-3930K.

* I have read somewhere that can be overclock in 4.6 - 4.8 Ghz . But I have no idea and I dont want to harm anything inside Bios, does anyone knows how to make it ?

* What cooling system are you suggesting for this cpu overclocked ? Water cooler or a standard cooler as Zilman ?

* About the motherboard, I was thinking about Gigabyte X79-UD5 OR MSI X79A-GD65 8D to fit for the 3930K and also I would like to have something like 32 GB ram with possibility to add more extra if is needed in the future.

And finally, how many Watt of power supply do you think that will be enough for this computer, something like starting from 850W ?

Thank you,
Vasilis

eqwoody

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
There's a lot of overclocking guides on the internet, But to be honest you're messing with the best hardware on the market right now that comes with a big replacement cost if you mess it up. If you don't know what you're doing then just don't do it. Chances are that if you don't know how to overclock then you're not going to be using it for anything that require you to do so.

If you're set on overclocking then ask a friend that knows how to do it to help you. It sounds like you're looking for a lot more power than you really need. Maybe if you use the form in the sticky we can help assist you in a build that is suited for your needs and save you money.

g-unit1111

Titan
First of all what's the primary use for this system going to be? A 3930K and 32GB of RAM will not be used to its' full potential on anything but a CS5 or rendering build. Gaming systems will not use 6 cores and that much RAM.

And as far as the cooler goes - air is always safer than water - a strong air fan will give you the same or better results than a closed loop like a Corsair H100 would. If you want to do the real thing go with a triple fan radiator like the Swiftech Edge HD.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

!! Didn't read that part haha 32GB ram! Pure gaming machines barely need more than 4GB ram these days, though with 8gb you're pretty future proof.

What video card are you planning to get? (SLI/crossfire??) That will determine what PSU you will need.

Vasilis82

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
thanks for your fast reply & comments !

eqwoody: for sure, before the overclocking I will double check how is working. I will write a post to the correct category forum for that as well.

g-unit1111 & aaab: I wasn't clear at the beginning, sorry for that. This build will be a workstation for rendering & simulating - not for gaming.
For graphic card Im thing about GB Nvidia - GV-N670OC-2GD
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4211#ov

You are right g-unit1111 about the water cooling. I was thinking about a cooling as Zalman CNPS12X.

I think now is getting more clear the specs about this build.

cheers,
Vasilis

If you're looking for an overclocking machine the X79 platform will not serve you well. It overclocks great, can easily hit 4.5Ghz but the 6 core processors have half again as many execution cores, twice as many memory channels, and two and a half times as many third generation PCIe lanes. What this adds up to is a hell of a lot of heat, even at 4.2Ghz a 3960x will burn over 200 watts when fully loaded (according to HWInfo64).

It's a very nice platform for the specific applications that it's useful for. It's better for gaming than the LGA 1155 platforms but that comes at a massive price premium that can only really be justified if couple with other software.