Solved

Need help finalizing

Hello everyone, I'm pretty much ready to order my first gaming computer and try to assemble it. http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/aI5Z Before I do that however I would like to know the following: Will these parts all work together properly? How much of a difference does a SSD make to run my os off of? Worth the extra $100 for the SSD? Thanks
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need finalizing
  1. 15-2500k without a CPU cooler seems.. disappointing
  2. cmcghee358 said:
    15-2500k without a CPU cooler seems.. disappointing

    Is comes with the basic stock cooler..... I won't be overclocking so this shouldn't be an issue
  3. If you don't overclock, get the Core i5-3550, which is a little faster than the 2500k at stock speed and costs $20 less. You also get pci express 3.0.
  4. An SSD is definitely worth it. If you're getting a 128GB SSD then you should replace your 1TB with 2TB seagate barracuda green (costs 99$)
  5. bryce6622 said:
    Is comes with the basic stock cooler..... I won't be overclocking so this shouldn't be an issue

    You can save some money if you just get the non-K version & an H67 or H61 motherboard. The Z77 is better for the ivy-bridge.

    Or you can follow doron's recommendation to get the i5-3550 & an H77 or B75 motherboard.
  6. randomkid said:
    You can save some money if you just get the non-K version & an H67 or H61 motherboard. The Z77 is better for the ivy-bridge.

    Or you can follow doron's recommendation to get the i5-3550 & an H77 or B75 motherboard.

    Which way gives better performance?
  7. doron said:
    An SSD is definitely worth it. If you're getting a 128GB SSD then you should replace your 1TB with 2TB seagate barracuda green (costs 99$)


    Keep the 7200RPM drive, 128GB is not enough to hold an extensive gaming library (especially if your using Steam, then you cant choose where individual games are installed to) and all your programs. You will still need a fast HDD.

    Though I personally would sacrifice the SSD for a better GPU, get something from the HD78XX series.
  8. Best answer
    bryce6622 said:
    Which way gives better performance?

    The i5-3550 (ivy bridge) is newer technology & more power efficient. It is also PCIe 3.0 capable where the sandy bridge is not although it PCIe 3.0 does not matter much with today graphics card. I would recommend the i5-3550 + H77 motherboard.

    However I can only find micro ATX motherboards with the H77:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/msi-motherboard-h77mag43
    http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah77md3h

    If you do not like micro ATXmotherboards you can still go for the Z77 of course but you'll pay for the overclocking feature that you will not use.
  9. randomkid said:
    The i5-3550 (ivy bridge) is newer technology & more power efficient. It is also PCIe 3.0 capable where the sandy bridge is not although it PCIe 3.0 does not matter much with today graphics card. I would recommend the i5-3550 + H77 motherboard.

    However I can only find micro ATX motherboards with the H77:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/msi-motherboard-h77mag43
    http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gah77md3h

    If you do not like micro ATXmotherboards you can still go for the Z77 of course but you'll pay for the overclocking feature that you will not use.

    Ok sweet thanks!
  10. Best answer selected by bryce6622.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build SSD Computer Gaming Systems