Sign in with
Your question

Display Driver Crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2012 3:10:41 AM

Hello,
I have recently built a new computer with specs as follows:

Intel Core i7 3930K
28GB DDR3-1600 RAM (The last 4GB stick wouldn't fit beneath CPU fan)
Asus X79 Sabertooth Motherboard
Corsair HX750 Power Supply

Now for the problem:
I have two different graphics cards I have tried in my system. Both have been stable and working in other systems (for more than 1 year), yet the instant they go in mine, the drivers begin to crash. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, whether programming, surfing the internet, playing games like Dirt 3, both crash every 45 seconds or so. One is an XFX Radeon HD 4650 with 512MB RAM, the other is a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 with 1GB RAM. I've done everything I can think of; old drivers, new drivers, disabling unnecessary things in BIOS, Reinstalling windows, etc. I have no idea what could be wrong, can anyone possibly help?

More about : display driver crashes

May 1, 2012 7:11:09 AM

Are there any specific errors or messages that appear?
Do you experience a system freeze, a black screen, a hard reset, etc.?

I experience something similar, and am going through every imaginable precaution to see what's affecting what. So far I've come up empty handed, but some more obscure answers I've found in my own search might help out:

Look up TDR, I believe it's the Window's system of protocols when the graphics card stops responding. I saw a couple threads wherein editing a value for this process in the registry solved the issue.
Some suggested changing the idle clock speed of the card helped.
At least a couple people reported the incidents linked to their network adapter (but don't ask me how).
Another common cause is insufficient power being drawn from the PSU.

If I happen to find a solution for my own situation, I'll post it here.
m
l
May 1, 2012 10:28:06 AM

Alright, thanks for the suggestions. I'm on my 2nd power supply, and the other system has only a 550W, while mine is a 750W, so I don't think power is an issue. I've already tried changing the idle clock speed. I'll try that TDR registry thing though; thanks.

EDIT: The problem is that the screen freezes, blanks for a millisecond, then returns, with a little message saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".
m
l
!