beachcamera

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 2, 2005 1:01:43 AM

Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

More about : beachcamera

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:01:44 AM

Don wrote:

> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

Down. I have rarely had good experiences with those sweatshop smooth talking
NY camera shops. I only order photo equipment now from B&H Photo; they
always have in stock what the say, easy web ordering, no bullshit, very
high reputation
August 2, 2005 1:51:03 AM

"Don" <rath2@comcast.net> wrote in news:l6udnXVfHKRsWHPfRVn-
pA@comcast.com:

> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

I have never had a problem with Beach Camera. Fast shipment and
always have item in stock when they say they do.
August 2, 2005 8:15:45 AM

There are a few Beach buddies on this forum who have nothing but nice things
to say about them --- except when someone posts to say that Beach advertised
a USA warantee on a camera but sent them a grey market version. Apparently
all of the Beach fans were out of town that week.
Except for the few on this forum I've never heard anyone say anything
good about Beach.
I suggest letting those fans deal with Beach and their aliases (buydig.com
is one) while you, I and other apparently way too fussy people stick with
stores that have a good reputation.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Don" <rath2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:48:05 AM

Yes, the scumbag businesses always have their shills working for them.
-S

"Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> There are a few Beach buddies on this forum who have nothing but nice
things
> to say about them --- except when someone posts to say that Beach
advertised
> a USA warantee on a camera but sent them a grey market version. Apparently
> all of the Beach fans were out of town that week.
> Except for the few on this forum I've never heard anyone say anything
> good about Beach.
> I suggest letting those fans deal with Beach and their aliases
(buydig.com
> is one) while you, I and other apparently way too fussy people stick with
> stores that have a good reputation.
>
> --
> http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
> home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
> The Improved Links Pages are at
> A sample chapter from "Haight-Ashbury" is at
>
> "Don" <rath2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:42:44 PM

"Don" <rath2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

Beach Camera used to have a very bad reputation, like most of the NY/NJ
mail-order stores.

Now it has excellent user reviews (see www.bizrate.com, etc.). What changed
I have no idea. Maybe it's under new management. Maybe it never was as bad
as people thought. I've never dealt with Beach myself.

I have, however, bought several digital cameras from BuyDig.com, which is a
"sister company" or division of Beach Camera. In every case I have been 100%
satisfied. Great price, item in stock when ordered, brand new and with USA
warranty as advertised, shipped extremely fast. Based on my experience with
BuyDig.com, and Beach's excellent customer reviews, I would not hesitate to
buy from Beach if there were a reason to do so, like a lower price than
BuyDig.com. But so far I've had no good reason to buy from other than the
latter company. (I did try elsewhere once because of a substantially lower
advertised price, but for various reasons ended up canceling the order and
ordering from BuyDig.com instead.)

Pay no attention to the paranoid know-it-alls who imagine everyone who
praises a good, reliable low-priced seller must be a "Beach buddy" or a
"shill."

N.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:38:43 PM

Proteus wrote:

> Don wrote:
>
>> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?
>
> Down. I have rarely had good experiences with those sweatshop smooth
> talking NY camera shops. I only order photo equipment now from B&H Photo;
> they always have in stock what the say, easy web ordering, no bullshit,
> very high reputation

I will add that I would have less of an issue buying from NY shops like
Beach, etc. ONLY if doing so through e.g. Yahoo Shopping-- then the whole
transaction has a written record and you can do feedback ratings of the
vendor; I would also ALWAYS add in the comment field of an online buying
experience to "complete order ONLY if item is in stock and can be shipped
within 5 days"; othewise a vendor can INDEFINATELY (yes you read that
right) hold you hostage and ship your order in even a year from taking the
order! They must ship within 30 days of billing your credit card, but they
can wait a year or more before doing that! Once I learned this and saw I
was being shafted by a NY shop for an order, I saw the only way out was to
cancel my credit card and get a new credit card issued!
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:32:07 PM

I guess I'm a shill: I've bought many items from Beach camera with no
problems at all, including valid Nikon rebated items.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 8:22:32 PM

"Proteus" <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
[ . . . ]

> I will add that I would have less of an issue buying from NY shops like
> Beach, etc. ONLY if doing so through e.g. Yahoo Shopping-- then the whole
> transaction has a written record and you can do feedback ratings of the
> vendor; I would also ALWAYS add in the comment field of an online buying
> experience to "complete order ONLY if item is in stock and can be shipped
> within 5 days"; othewise a vendor can INDEFINATELY (yes you read that
> right) hold you hostage and ship your order in even a year from taking the
> order! They must ship within 30 days of billing your credit card, but they
> can wait a year or more before doing that! Once I learned this and saw I
> was being shafted by a NY shop for an order, I saw the only way out was to
> cancel my credit card and get a new credit card issued!

Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like bullshit,
in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were] being
shafted" in that way?

In any case it has never been a problem with me, and I buy almost everything
camera- or computer-related online and by credit card. I have very, very
rarely wanted to cancel an order, but haven't had any problem doing so on
those few occasions. The only exception was one order from Buy.com, about
which I changed my mind after placing the order and tried to cancel. They
have a provision for doing this, but you have to get the cancellation
request in before the order is processed (which is reasonable enough) and I
was too late in doing so. On most items they process and ship fast. My
fault, not theirs.

N.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:58:16 AM

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:01:43 -0400, Don <rath2@comcast.net> wrote:

> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

I have bought from both BeachCamera and BuyDig within the past year. Prompt
shipment. No phone call to sell me anything extra. The only problem is they
forgot to include the rebate form. I called and it was promptly sent.

A friend, at my recommendation, just bought from Beach. No problem at all.

If anyone has anything negative to say, it should be a first hand
experience with details of why negative.

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:00:10 AM

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:29:34 -0500, Proteus <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote:

>Don wrote:
>
>> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?
>
>Down. I have rarely had good experiences with those sweatshop smooth talking
>NY camera shops.

BeachCamera is not in NY. Never was. They have been on Route 22 in NJ for
years. Plenty of walk in sales.

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 5:41:59 PM

Don Wiss wrote:

> BeachCamera is not in NY. Never was. They have been on Route 22 in NJ for
> years. Plenty of walk in sales.

Yes, unfortunately they seem to treat their walk-in business VERY
separately from online. Last time I attempted to buy something from
them, I offered to order online and then head to their route 22
storefront, seeing as I live only 20 minutes away. No dice. They
REALLY wanted that $35 for ground shipping.

That's when I decided that if I had to pay shipping and wait a day, I
may as well order from B&H, where despite the increased distance, the
product price was the same AND shipping ended up being less.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 3, 2005 8:21:56 PM

Don Wiss wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:29:34 -0500, Proteus <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>>Don wrote:
>>
>>> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?
>>
>>Down. I have rarely had good experiences with those sweatshop smooth
>>talking NY camera shops.
>
> BeachCamera is not in NY. Never was. They have been on Route 22 in NJ for
> years. Plenty of walk in sales.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).

My bad. Being a Minnesotan, I sort of equate all those fast talking east
coast talking mail order places with the general NY area. My apologies for
confusing NY and NJ.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:22:47 PM

Nostrobino wrote:
> Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
> someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like bullshit,
> in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were]
> being shafted" in that way?

Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
about that.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:44:32 PM

> Nostrobino wrote:
>> Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
>> someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like
>> bullshit,
>> in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were]
>> being shafted" in that way?
>>
> ..
>
> Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
> about that.

Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with the
result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely understand. But
what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a situation (i.e., seller
tries to refuse cancellation of an order even though out of stock) I could
call the c.c. company and they would straighten it out with the seller. She
definitely did say I would *not* be "held hostage" on the order as you
stated in your post.

I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.

Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock and
really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company letting the
seller hold the customer hostage in that way.

N.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:14:11 AM

Nostrobino wrote:

> "Proteus" <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Nostrobino wrote:
>>> Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
>>> someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like
>>> bullshit,
>>> in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were]
>>> being shafted" in that way?
>>>
>> ..
>>
>> Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
>> about that.
>
> Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
> their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
> their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with the
> result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely understand.
> But what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a situation (i.e.,
> seller tries to refuse cancellation of an order even though out of stock)
> I could call the c.c. company and they would straighten it out with the
> seller. She definitely did say I would *not* be "held hostage" on the
> order as you stated in your post.
>
> I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.
>
> Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
> cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
> different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock and
> really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company letting
> the seller hold the customer hostage in that way.
>
> N.

You are preaching to the choir. I have no reason to lie, and I really do not
care if you believe me; I am just relaying an actual incident. Use it or
lose it. Maybe policies have gotten better, that was 3 years ago.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 10:49:56 AM

> Nostrobino wrote:
>

>> "Proteus" <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> ..
>>>
>>> Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
>>> about that.
>>
>> Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
>> their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
>> their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with
>> the
>> result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely understand.
>> But what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a situation (i.e.,
>> seller tries to refuse cancellation of an order even though out of stock)
>> I could call the c.c. company and they would straighten it out with the
>> seller. She definitely did say I would *not* be "held hostage" on the
>> order as you stated in your post.
>>
>> I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.
>>
>> Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
>> cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
>> different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock
>> and
>> really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company letting
>> the seller hold the customer hostage in that way.
>>
>> N.
>

> You are preaching to the choir. I have no reason to lie, and I really do
> not
> care if you believe me; I am just relaying an actual incident. Use it or
> lose it. Maybe policies have gotten better, that was 3 years ago.

I certainly did not mean to imply that you are lying. Your experience as
you've stated it is disturbing, and it was worth your mentioning it. As I
said, I suppose different credit card companies have different policies.

N.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 11:11:10 AM

Nostrobino wrote:
> I certainly did not mean to imply that you are lying. Your experience as
> you've stated it is disturbing, and it was worth your mentioning it. As I
> said, I suppose different credit card companies have different policies.
>
> N.

Agreed. Like my current credit card company surprised me by blocking charges
while I was traveling a couple of years ago, to Europe, and also Mexico a
year ago-- for security purposes. To me it was a hassle big time. Times are
changing I guess.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:37:03 PM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:14:11 -0500, Proteus <nospam@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>Nostrobino wrote:
>

>> "Proteus" <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> ..
>>>
>>> Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
>>> about that.
>>
>> Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
>> their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
>> their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with the
>> result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely understand.
>> But what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a situation (i.e.,
>> seller tries to refuse cancellation of an order even though out of stock)
>> I could call the c.c. company and they would straighten it out with the
>> seller. She definitely did say I would *not* be "held hostage" on the
>> order as you stated in your post.
>>
>> I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.
>>
>> Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
>> cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
>> different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock and
>> really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company letting
>> the seller hold the customer hostage in that way.
>>
>> N.
>

>You are preaching to the choir. I have no reason to lie, and I really do not
>care if you believe me; I am just relaying an actual incident. Use it or
>lose it. Maybe policies have gotten better, that was 3 years ago.

I know that for mail or telephone orders, if the item can't be shipped
within 30 days of receipt of the order, the retailer must notify the
customer, and offer a refund or cancelation.
I don't know if that pertains to online orders, too, but I would think
it does.
Anyone know?
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Don Wiss wrote:
>

>> BeachCamera is not in NY. Never was. They have been on Route 22 in NJ for
>> years. Plenty of walk in sales.
>
> Yes, unfortunately they seem to treat their walk-in business VERY
> separately from online. Last time I attempted to buy something from them,
> I offered to order online and then head to their route 22 storefront,
> seeing as I live only 20 minutes away. No dice. They REALLY wanted that
> $35 for ground shipping.
>
> That's when I decided that if I had to pay shipping and wait a day, I may
> as well order from B&H, where despite the increased distance, the product
> price was the same AND shipping ended up being less.
>
> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

Are you sure you're talking about the right store? The MOST I've ever paid
them for shipping
has been $6.95 and it was 3-day. Most of the time I've ordered from them,
shipping was free.
BS shipping/handling fees is one of my pet peeves and this is one of the
things that got my attention
in the first place.
August 4, 2005 4:25:30 PM

"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in message

> "Proteus" <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> Nostrobino wrote:
>>> Did your *credit card company* tell you that, or did you hear it from
>>> someone in a bar? It seems extremely unlikely to me. Sounds like
>>> bullshit,
>>> in fact. Did you call you credit card company when you "saw [you were]
>>> being shafted" in that way?
>>>
>> ..
>>
>> Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
>> about that.
>
> Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
> their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
> their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with the
> result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely understand.
> But what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a situation (i.e.,
> seller tries to refuse cancellation of an order even though out of stock)
> I could call the c.c. company and they would straighten it out with the
> seller. She definitely did say I would *not* be "held hostage" on the
> order as you stated in your post.
>
> I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.
>
> Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
> cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
> different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock and
> really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company letting
> the seller hold the customer hostage in that way.
>
> N.

Different companies have very different policies...found that out in two
instances involving
recurring charges to a charge card. The first involved canceling an ISP
(and calling them and
recanceling a number of times) who insisted on continuing to charge my
credit card (Citibank,
fortunately). I explained the situation to Citibank and that the ISP was
not authorized by me to
charge my account any longer and Citibank no longer accepted any charges
from them. I had an
identical situation occur a few years later with a different company and a
different credit card
issuer and was told by the credit card company that I'd have to get the
rogue company to quit
stealing from my account of their own volition. I no longer deal with that
credit card company
and NEVER will again. I also never allow any recurring charges under any
conditions as they
are MUCH more difficult to EVER get rid of and you never really know what
you cc company's
policy on such things will be at the time you have a problem.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:27:47 PM

"george" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote in message

> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> wrote in message
>>
>> "Proteus" <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> ..
>>>
>>> Credit card company. I called and talked to credit card customer service
>>> about that.
>>
>> Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask for
>> their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently outsourcing
>> their customer service to India (as so many other companies are), with
>> the result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could barely
>> understand. But what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a
>> situation (i.e., seller tries to refuse cancellation of an order even
>> though out of stock) I could call the c.c. company and they would
>> straighten it out with the seller. She definitely did say I would *not*
>> be "held hostage" on the order as you stated in your post.
>>
>> I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.
>>
>> Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
>> cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
>> different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock
>> and really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company
>> letting the seller hold the customer hostage in that way.
>>
>> N.
>>

> Different companies have very different policies...found that out in two
> instances involving
> recurring charges to a charge card. The first involved canceling an ISP
> (and calling them and
> recanceling a number of times) who insisted on continuing to charge my
> credit card (Citibank,
> fortunately). I explained the situation to Citibank and that the ISP was
> not authorized by me to
> charge my account any longer and Citibank no longer accepted any charges
> from them. I had an
> identical situation occur a few years later with a different company and a
> different credit card
> issuer and was told by the credit card company that I'd have to get the
> rogue company to quit
> stealing from my account of their own volition.

Wow. That is surprising, to say the least. Not to mention discouraging.

> I no longer deal with that credit card company
> and NEVER will again. I also never allow any recurring charges under any
> conditions as they
> are MUCH more difficult to EVER get rid of and you never really know what
> you cc company's
> policy on such things will be at the time you have a problem.

Evidently true. I checked my c.c. company's web site and could find no
information at all about their policy in the situation described, no terms
of service or anything like that, nor could I find anything pertinent in the
fine print on the back of the statement. The rep that I spoke to on the
phone answered my questions (I guess), but along with being almost
impossible to understand because of her mostly unintelligible English, did
not really seem very confidence-inspiring.

N.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:32:22 PM

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Don Wiss wrote:
>

>> BeachCamera is not in NY. Never was. They have been on Route 22 in NJ for
>> years. Plenty of walk in sales.
>
> Yes, unfortunately they seem to treat their walk-in business VERY
> separately from online. Last time I attempted to buy something from them,
> I offered to order online and then head to their route 22 storefront,
> seeing as I live only 20 minutes away. No dice. They REALLY wanted that
> $35 for ground shipping.

What were you buying, a refrigerator? I have checked out Beach Camera's
prices (including shipping) for digital cameras a number of times, and have
never seen anything remotely like a $35 shipping charge.

N.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:09:19 AM

Bill Funk wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:14:11 -0500, Proteus <nospam@nowhere.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Nostrobino wrote:
>>

>>> "Proteus" <nospam@nowhere.net> wrote in message

>>> Well, that's interesting. I just called my credit card company to ask
>>> for their policy in such a situation, but they are now apparently
>>> outsourcing their customer service to India (as so many other companies
>>> are), with the result that I spoke to a woman whose English I could
>>> barely understand. But what she *seemed* to be saying was that in such a
>>> situation (i.e., seller tries to refuse cancellation of an order even
>>> though out of stock) I could call the c.c. company and they would
>>> straighten it out with the seller. She definitely did say I would *not*
>>> be "held hostage" on the order as you stated in your post.
>>>
>>> I suppose different c.c. companies have different policies.
>>>
>>> Now I'm sure that if a seller *clearly states* in his ad that the order
>>> cannot be cancelled (e.g., for a special-order item) that would be
>>> different, obviously. But if the item is represented as being in stock
>>> and really isn't, I cannot imagine any reputable credit card company
>>> letting the seller hold the customer hostage in that way.
>>>
>>> N.
>>

>>You are preaching to the choir. I have no reason to lie, and I really do
>>not care if you believe me; I am just relaying an actual incident. Use it
>>or lose it. Maybe policies have gotten better, that was 3 years ago.
>
> I know that for mail or telephone orders, if the item can't be shipped
> within 30 days of receipt of the order, the retailer must notify the
> customer, and offer a refund or cancelation.
> I don't know if that pertains to online orders, too, but I would think
> it does.
> Anyone know?

Well see that is what I had thought, but then was told by the vendor AND my
credit card company that it is 30 days from the order being charged to the
credit card (which the vendor could wait and do for months after receipt of
the order); and the only way to cancel it would be to cancel the credit
card, unless the vendor felt like canceling the order,
August 5, 2005 10:17:44 AM

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:58:16 -0400, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:01:43 -0400, Don <rath2@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?
>
>I have bought from both BeachCamera and BuyDig within the past year. Prompt
>shipment. No phone call to sell me anything extra. The only problem is they
>forgot to include the rebate form. I called and it was promptly sent.
>
>A friend, at my recommendation, just bought from Beach. No problem at all.
>
>If anyone has anything negative to say, it should be a first hand
>experience with details of why negative.
>
>Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I also just bought a digital camera about 1 month ago from Beach and
it was a non event transaction. No phone calls after and shipping was
faster than expected. Essentially it was order on line and a couple
days later, it's arrived. The worst thing I can say about them was I
had to pay for the camera (I hate to part with my money :-( ).

I never bought from them before this purchase and I would recommend
them based on my ONE transaction. And no, I'm not connected to them
in any way, just a one time customer thusfar. I stress ONE time
because I don't want to exaggerate how good or bad because my
experience was brief. I did use reselleratings.com for guidance and
Beach seem to have a lot of reviews and quite good overall so I
decided to try them. Their price was not the lowest but was
competitive.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:24:06 PM

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:09:19 -0500, Proteus <nospam@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:14:11 -0500, Proteus <nospam@nowhere.net>
>> wrote:

>>>You are preaching to the choir. I have no reason to lie, and I really do
>>>not care if you believe me; I am just relaying an actual incident. Use it
>>>or lose it. Maybe policies have gotten better, that was 3 years ago.
>>
>> I know that for mail or telephone orders, if the item can't be shipped
>> within 30 days of receipt of the order, the retailer must notify the
>> customer, and offer a refund or cancelation.
>> I don't know if that pertains to online orders, too, but I would think
>> it does.
>> Anyone know?
>

>Well see that is what I had thought, but then was told by the vendor AND my
>credit card company that it is 30 days from the order being charged to the
>credit card (which the vendor could wait and do for months after receipt of
>the order); and the only way to cancel it would be to cancel the credit
>card, unless the vendor felt like canceling the order,

I've been under the impression the vendor isn't allowed to actually
charge the card until the product is shipped; in fact, that's the way
it's always been done for me.
If I were you, I'd seriously consider changing CC banks.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:06:04 PM

"Bill Funk" <BigBill@there.com> wrote in message
[ . . . ]

> I've been under the impression the vendor isn't allowed to actually
> charge the card until the product is shipped; in fact, that's the way
> it's always been done for me.

Many (probably most) reputable sellers I think do that as a courtesy, and
usually make a point of telling buyers that that's their practice. But AFAIK
it's not a requirement as far as the c.c. companies are concerned.

Not all that say they do it that way actually do, either. I bought a
computer by phone order once and the salesman assured me my card wouldn't be
charged until it shipped--which wouldn't be for a couple of weeks, as the
computer wasn't built yet and they had that much of a backlog. But when I
got my statement I saw they charged my card the day I ordered it, probably
as soon as he got off the phone. I called back to complain about this, and
they told me they were very sorry, charging it immediately was a mistake
somebody in the office made. I suspect that company made that "mistake"
pretty routinely, but what do I know.

N.
August 6, 2005 3:35:58 AM

How come you didn't say the same to the guy who got a grey market camera
that had been advertised as US Waranty? Were you indeed out of town that
week?
Don't like being called a beach buddy? Why is that? Perhaps because you
seem to have no life beyond recommending a store that demonstrates bad
service time and time again.
I would go a little further than beach buddy or shill. You are
completely anonymous, so your "word" is worth exactly nothing. I have no
idea if you are an employee of Beach, or simply a troll. It is even
impossible to tell if you post from multiple addresses. With nothing but a
meaningless screen name you have all the trustworthyness of a Nigerian
Finance Minister.

--

> "Don" <rath2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?
>
> Beach Camera used to have a very bad reputation, like most of the NY/NJ
> mail-order stores.
>
> Now it has excellent user reviews (see www.bizrate.com, etc.). What
changed
> I have no idea. Maybe it's under new management. Maybe it never was as bad
> as people thought. I've never dealt with Beach myself.
>
> I have, however, bought several digital cameras from BuyDig.com, which is
> "sister company" or division of Beach Camera. In every case I have been
100%
> satisfied. Great price, item in stock when ordered, brand new and with USA
> warranty as advertised, shipped extremely fast. Based on my experience
with
> BuyDig.com, and Beach's excellent customer reviews, I would not hesitate
> buy from Beach if there were a reason to do so, like a lower price than
> BuyDig.com. But so far I've had no good reason to buy from other than the
> latter company. (I did try elsewhere once because of a substantially lower
> advertised price, but for various reasons ended up canceling the order and
> ordering from BuyDig.com instead.)
>
> Pay no attention to the paranoid know-it-alls who imagine everyone who
> praises a good, reliable low-priced seller must be a "Beach buddy" or a
> "shill."
>
> N.

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:47:08 PM

> How come you didn't say the same to the guy who got a grey market camera
> that had been advertised as US Waranty?

From what seller?

> Were you indeed out of town that
> week?

Having no idea who or what you're referring to, or when, I cannot say where
I was. But I only read a small portion of the posts here anyway. I scan the
titles and if something looks interesting I read it.

> Don't like being called a beach buddy? Why is that?

Well, it doesn't bother me but it's somewhat inaccurate. As I said, I have
never dealt with Beach Camera per se. I have bought several digital cameras
from BuyDig.com, self-identified as a division of Beach, and got the best,
fastest service it is possible to get. I've been buying cameras online for
about ten years, and by phone order for at least thirty years before that.
In my experience they just don't come any better than BuyDig.

Every camera I've bought from BuyDig.com came with a USA warranty. For that
matter, every camera I've bought from *any* online seller came with a USA
warranty. Others may have had some different experience; I can only speak
for my own. I have bought some grey-market items like flash units, for which
I didn't feel a USA warranty was important. These were always properly
identified by the seller.

> Perhaps because you
> seem to have no life beyond recommending a store that demonstrates bad
> service time and time again.

To whom? Have you ever bought a camera from Beach? Their customer reviews at
www.bizrate.com and elsewhere are excellent. Where's the "bad service time
and time again"? That's rubbish.

> I would go a little further than beach buddy or shill. You are
> completely anonymous, so your "word" is worth exactly nothing. I have no
> idea if you are an employee of Beach, or simply a troll.

In fact, you seem to "have no idea" even what the term "troll" means. But as
for being "an employee of Beach," I can assure you I'm not an employee of
anyone. I've been semi-retired since 1979 and fully retired since 1988.

> It is even
> impossible to tell if you post from multiple addresses.

I don't, though. That it's "even impossible to tell" is your problem, not
mine.

There have been a number of us here who've praised Beach and/or BuyDig.com
for their excellent and reliable service. Do you suppose we are really all
the same person? Why not carefully examine the headers of our posts, if
you're that paranoid about it?

N.
August 6, 2005 11:07:28 PM

Beach, buddy - Beach. Of course you simply didn't notice. What a worthless
pack of fiction you are.

--

> "Tony" <tspadaro@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > How come you didn't say the same to the guy who got a grey market
camera
> > that had been advertised as US Waranty?
>
> From what seller?
>

> > Were you indeed out of town that
> > week?
>
> Having no idea who or what you're referring to, or when, I cannot say
where
> I was. But I only read a small portion of the posts here anyway. I scan
the
> titles and if something looks interesting I read it.
>

> > Don't like being called a beach buddy? Why is that?
>
> Well, it doesn't bother me but it's somewhat inaccurate. As I said, I have
> never dealt with Beach Camera per se. I have bought several digital
cameras
> from BuyDig.com, self-identified as a division of Beach, and got the best,
> fastest service it is possible to get. I've been buying cameras online for
> about ten years, and by phone order for at least thirty years before that.
> In my experience they just don't come any better than BuyDig.
>
> Every camera I've bought from BuyDig.com came with a USA warranty. For
that
> matter, every camera I've bought from *any* online seller came with a USA
> warranty. Others may have had some different experience; I can only speak
> for my own. I have bought some grey-market items like flash units, for
which
> I didn't feel a USA warranty was important. These were always properly
> identified by the seller.
>

> > Perhaps because you
> > seem to have no life beyond recommending a store that demonstrates bad
> > service time and time again.
>
> To whom? Have you ever bought a camera from Beach? Their customer reviews
at
> www.bizrate.com and elsewhere are excellent. Where's the "bad service time
> and time again"? That's rubbish.
>

> > I would go a little further than beach buddy or shill. You are
> > completely anonymous, so your "word" is worth exactly nothing. I have no
> > idea if you are an employee of Beach, or simply a troll.
>
> In fact, you seem to "have no idea" even what the term "troll" means. But
as
> for being "an employee of Beach," I can assure you I'm not an employee of
> anyone. I've been semi-retired since 1979 and fully retired since 1988.
>

> > It is even
> > impossible to tell if you post from multiple addresses.
>
> I don't, though. That it's "even impossible to tell" is your problem, not
> mine.
>
> There have been a number of us here who've praised Beach and/or BuyDig.com
> for their excellent and reliable service. Do you suppose we are really all
> the same person? Why not carefully examine the headers of our posts, if
> you're that paranoid about it?
>
> N.

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 11:44:54 PM

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:01:43 -0700, Don wrote
(in article <l6udnXVfHKRsWHPfRVn-pA@comcast.com>):

> Beachcamera .........thumbs up or thumbs down?

Check for yourself. Customer ratings.

August 7, 2005 2:17:01 PM

> Beach, buddy - Beach. Of course you simply didn't notice. What a worthless
> pack of fiction you are.

The other questions were, Have you ever bought a camera from Beach?

And, Where's the "bad service time and time again"?

You don't understand the questions? Or you just won't answer?

N.

> [...]
>> > no
>> > idea if you are an employee of Beach, or simply a troll.
>>
>> In fact, you seem to "have no idea" even what the term "troll" means. But
> as
>> for being "an employee of Beach," I can assure you I'm not an employee of
>> anyone. I've been semi-retired since 1979 and fully retired since 1988.
>>

>> > It is even
>> > impossible to tell if you post from multiple addresses.
>>
>> I don't, though. That it's "even impossible to tell" is your problem, not
>> mine.
>>
>> There have been a number of us here who've praised Beach and/or
>> BuyDig.com
>> for their excellent and reliable service. Do you suppose we are really
>> all
>> the same person? Why not carefully examine the headers of our posts, if

August 10, 2005 1:01:35 AM

I've never been stupid enough to give my credit card numbers to Beach.
I've met too many people who have been ripped off by them.
You don't consider advertising an item as US Waranty and sending a grey
market substitute poor service? Actually I don't consider it poor service
either - it is straight fraud - just like you, Ace.

--

!