Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New $1k - 1.3k computer build (First Time)

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 25, 2012 4:30:37 AM

Hey there everyone. First time poster, long time reader here.
I was interested in making my own computer after my six year old one started dying. I did some research about computer parts, specs, and making sure they're all compatible and just wanted to make sure I didn't slip up anywhere. Here are the parts I'm looking at:

Case: NZXT Crafted Series ATX Full Tower Steel Chassis - Phantom White
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V LX
SSD:SAMSUNG 830
HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
PSU: Corsair HX Professional Series 750W
CPU: Intel i5 2500-K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 570

I just want to know if all these parts will work together and if I will face any potential problems with this build. I'm also open to recommendations.

More about : computer build time

June 25, 2012 4:40:47 AM

Get the Caviar Green or Barracuda Green 2TB as you don't need speed in storage. Get a GTX 670.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 6:54:55 AM

As azeem40 said get a GTX670, they are a great GPU and will enable you to play all the current games atm on their highest settings. As for your HDD i would suggest you go for the Seagate Barracuda 1TB which is a great HDD and will save you some money compared with the Western Digital one. With your SSD go with a M4 64/128gb or a Corsair series 3 60/120gb depending on the size you need.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 25, 2012 7:14:53 AM

I'm assuming you want to overclock because you chose the 2500k. If so, you'll want to buy an aftermarket cooler.

I'll make 1 overclock build and 1 non-overclock if you didn't want it.

OC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aMFW - $1199.98
Non-OC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aMG1 - $1149.48

I'd go with the OC version, which gives you some more power if you want to squeeze it out later on.

Share
June 26, 2012 4:26:34 PM

Wow, thanks for the replies guys. Really useful so far!
Here are my problems though:

1. I would go for a 670 but I'm kind of low on money, that's why I picked the 570 in the first place. Is there any way I can sub in some not as expensive parts to get the 670?
2. I looked at the prices of the other HDDs and they seem pretty much the same as the caviar black. I don't need that much space so I was thinking just take the speed over another TB. Should I just go for a 1TB caviar green or blue for the power efficiency?

And I thought about using the SSD just for the OS and the backup so do I really need 128 gb or should I just go for a 64 gb? I also read a lot about the m4, samsung 830, and corsair series. All of them work extremely well from my understanding of things so that makes it hard for me to choose a SSD. Can you tell me the advantages of the SSD over the other? I looked into it but there are a ton of mixed opinions
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 4:44:47 PM

If you're strictly installing ONLY the OS, then 64GB will be enough.

I personally would avoid the Caviar Green unless you're willing to run WDIDLE3 and fix the 8-second park timer issue. Your drive will accumulate wear and tear exponentially faster if you use it out-of-the-box due to what I consider a design flaw by WD.

If you don't have too much media like I do, then I think sacrificing some space to get a Black is a worthwhile choice. It's pretty fast for its price.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 4:44:51 PM

Quote:
And I thought about using the SSD just for the OS and the backup so do I really need 128 gb or should I just go for a 64 gb? I also read a lot about the m4, samsung 830, and corsair series. All of them work extremely well from my understanding of things so that makes it hard for me to choose a SSD. Can you tell me the advantages of the SSD over the other? I looked into it but there are a ton of mixed opinions


If you're only going to use SSD for OS - a 64GB will do fine. I'm in the minoirty on this board in that I think huge SSDs are a bit ridiculous due to the extremely high cost per GB, and on builds I never try to get people to pay more for storage than they should be paying.

Quote:
2. I looked at the prices of the other HDDs and they seem pretty much the same as the caviar black. I don't need that much space so I was thinking just take the speed over another TB. Should I just go for a 1TB caviar green or blue for the power efficiency?


You won't notice the difference. My build runs a green drive and an SSD - the drives work independent of each other - Windows still runs off the primary HD and uses it accordingly.

Here's a build I recommend in that price range:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
PSU: Sewasonic S12 II 620W - $86.99
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - $134.99
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - $229.99
Cooler; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
RAM: 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1333MHz 1.5V - $44.99
SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $124.99
HD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST - $99.99
Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 670 - $399.99

Total: $1,234.90
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 4:51:24 PM

darkclownjoe said:
I'm assuming you want to overclock because you chose the 2500k. If so, you'll want to buy an aftermarket cooler.

I'll make 1 overclock build and 1 non-overclock if you didn't want it.

OC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aMFW - $1199.98
Non-OC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aMG1 - $1149.48

I'd go with the OC version, which gives you some more power if you want to squeeze it out later on.

I looked at the builds. Would 650 W be enough? I noticed the huge price difference between the AX650 and HX750.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 5:20:48 PM

Best answer selected by Epitomes.
m
0
l
!