Solved

New $1k - 1.3k computer build (First Time)

Hey there everyone. First time poster, long time reader here.
I was interested in making my own computer after my six year old one started dying. I did some research about computer parts, specs, and making sure they're all compatible and just wanted to make sure I didn't slip up anywhere. Here are the parts I'm looking at:

Case: NZXT Crafted Series ATX Full Tower Steel Chassis - Phantom White
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V LX
SSD:SAMSUNG 830
HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
PSU: Corsair HX Professional Series 750W
CPU: Intel i5 2500-K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 570

I just want to know if all these parts will work together and if I will face any potential problems with this build. I'm also open to recommendations.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer build first time
  1. Get the Caviar Green or Barracuda Green 2TB as you don't need speed in storage. Get a GTX 670.
  2. As azeem40 said get a GTX670, they are a great GPU and will enable you to play all the current games atm on their highest settings. As for your HDD i would suggest you go for the Seagate Barracuda 1TB which is a great HDD and will save you some money compared with the Western Digital one. With your SSD go with a M4 64/128gb or a Corsair series 3 60/120gb depending on the size you need.
  3. Best answer
    I'm assuming you want to overclock because you chose the 2500k. If so, you'll want to buy an aftermarket cooler.

I'll make 1 overclock build and 1 non-overclock if you didn't want it.

OC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aMFW - $1199.98
    Non-OC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aMG1 - $1149.48

I'd go with the OC version, which gives you some more power if you want to squeeze it out later on.
  4. Wow, thanks for the replies guys. Really useful so far!
    Here are my problems though:

1. I would go for a 670 but I'm kind of low on money, that's why I picked the 570 in the first place. Is there any way I can sub in some not as expensive parts to get the 670?
    2. I looked at the prices of the other HDDs and they seem pretty much the same as the caviar black. I don't need that much space so I was thinking just take the speed over another TB. Should I just go for a 1TB caviar green or blue for the power efficiency?

And I thought about using the SSD just for the OS and the backup so do I really need 128 gb or should I just go for a 64 gb? I also read a lot about the m4, samsung 830, and corsair series. All of them work extremely well from my understanding of things so that makes it hard for me to choose a SSD. Can you tell me the advantages of the SSD over the other? I looked into it but there are a ton of mixed opinions
  5. If you're strictly installing ONLY the OS, then 64GB will be enough.

I personally would avoid the Caviar Green unless you're willing to run WDIDLE3 and fix the 8-second park timer issue. Your drive will accumulate wear and tear exponentially faster if you use it out-of-the-box due to what I consider a design flaw by WD.

If you don't have too much media like I do, then I think sacrificing some space to get a Black is a worthwhile choice. It's pretty fast for its price.
  6. Quote:
    And I thought about using the SSD just for the OS and the backup so do I really need 128 gb or should I just go for a 64 gb? I also read a lot about the m4, samsung 830, and corsair series. All of them work extremely well from my understanding of things so that makes it hard for me to choose a SSD. Can you tell me the advantages of the SSD over the other? I looked into it but there are a ton of mixed opinions

If you're only going to use SSD for OS - a 64GB will do fine. I'm in the minoirty on this board in that I think huge SSDs are a bit ridiculous due to the extremely high cost per GB, and on builds I never try to get people to pay more for storage than they should be paying.

Quote:
    2. I looked at the prices of the other HDDs and they seem pretty much the same as the caviar black. I don't need that much space so I was thinking just take the speed over another TB. Should I just go for a 1TB caviar green or blue for the power efficiency?

You won't notice the difference. My build runs a green drive and an SSD - the drives work independent of each other - Windows still runs off the primary HD and uses it accordingly.

Here's a build I recommend in that price range:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - $59.99
    PSU: Sewasonic S12 II 620W - $86.99
    Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - $134.99
    CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - $229.99
    Cooler; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo - $34.99
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1333MHz 1.5V - $44.99
    SSD: 128GB Crucial M4 - $124.99
    HD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST - $99.99
    Optical: Lite On DVD Burner - $17.99
    Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 670 - $399.99

Total: $1,234.90
  7. darkclownjoe said:
    I'm assuming you want to overclock because you chose the 2500k. If so, you'll want to buy an aftermarket cooler.

I'll make 1 overclock build and 1 non-overclock if you didn't want it.

OC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aMFW - $1199.98
    Non-OC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/aMG1 - $1149.48

I'd go with the OC version, which gives you some more power if you want to squeeze it out later on.

I looked at the builds. Would 650 W be enough? I noticed the huge price difference between the AX650 and HX750.
  8. Best answer selected by Epitomes.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems Product