Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Why has my 2600K stopped throttling back to 16X

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 30, 2012 5:31:30 PM

Hi all - wondering if anyone can answer a question. I posted to AT too but thus far haven't really received any quality feedback.

I have a 2600K with ASRock P67 Extreme 4. I set it up 18 months ago with a 42X setting and offset voltage, so basically it idled at 16X (1.6ghz) and whenever the CPU gets used it jumped to 4.2ghz. Under Prime95 my voltage was good in the 1.23 area. It would throttle back to 0.95-1.05 when not under load.

So honestly in the past 12-15 months I've just been USING the computer and not futzing around with Prime95 or the BIOS. Last night I was using Handbrake to convert a movie and just for fun I pulled up CPU-Z to see how it was being loaded. I haven't looked at CPU-Z in awhile.

To my surprise, CPU-Z reports that my CPU is just stuck at 42X now. It doesn't seem to come back to 16X at idle. BUT the voltage is still dropping back to 0.95 etc.

NO I HAVEN'T CHANGED ANYTHING IN THE BIOS.

So my questions:

1) What could have changed? Is this a CPU-Z problem or perhaps there is a program in the background that is "running" and causing the CPU to stay throttled up? But my task manager shows CPU use at 0% and it is still at 42X. I updated to the newest version of CPU-Z and it shows the same.

2) the only thing I've changed in Windows is to add an Administrator account so that my kids don't install all kinds of crap when using the main account (which has now been demoted to a non-admin). I have to run CPU-Z as an Administrator in order for it to show all the details. Not sure why that could affect the reporting of the CPU speed.

3) Should I care? If the voltage is dropping properly, am I doing any long term "damage" to my CPU if it is staying fully caffeinated at 42X on a 24/7 basis?

Thanks guys
a c 283 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 5:52:33 PM

Something's off there, for sure.

Since the voltage does drop, there's no way it would be stable at that low voltage if it really were actually stuck at 4.2.

But no, if it was somehow miraculously stable at voltages that low at 4.2, it wouldn't hurt a thing. In fact, that would be one of the best Sandy Bridge CPU's in existence that a lot of people would almost literally kill for, lol.
m
l

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 5:52:36 PM

You are either stuck at 4.2Ghz OR your voltage is dropping to 0.95, but you are not doing 4.2Ghz @0.95v.

Try another version of CPU-Z or some other program.
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 5:53:03 PM

dbl post...
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 6:21:11 PM

Check in the Bios to make sure that Intel® Speedstep® is still enabled. Sorry I don't know how it is listed on the board but since it is showing a voltage drop it should be kicking on.
m
l
October 30, 2012 6:39:38 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Something's off there, for sure.

Since the voltage does drop, there's no way it would be stable at that low voltage if it really were actually stuck at 4.2.

But no, if it was somehow miraculously stable at voltages that low at 4.2, it wouldn't hurt a thing. In fact, that would be one of the best Sandy Bridge CPU's in existence that a lot of people would almost literally kill for, lol.

Z1NONLY said:
You are either stuck at 4.2Ghz OR your voltage is dropping to 0.95, but you are not doing 4.2Ghz @0.95v.

Try another version of CPU-Z or some other program.

Very good points! Maybe I had a lightning strike and it turned my 2600K into a superhuman overclocking machine!

Yeah I'm tempted to believe that nothing has changed with the CPU, and something is now wrong with the way CPU-Z is picking up the multiplier speed. The voltage is definitely moving around according to CPU-Z, and in a rational way (e.g. if I load it with Prime95 it goes up to its 1.23V like it should). Maybe could be something with the fact that I've got 2 user accounts on Windows......if I launch CPU-Z from the "slave" account it gives an error and just shows 3.4ghz......while if I "Run As Administrator" then it appears to work, except for the multiplier is stuck.

Any other CPU-Z alternatives that I can use to see if they report differently?

m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
October 30, 2012 6:51:29 PM

Newer or older version of CPU-Z.

Coretemp maybe?
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:11:33 AM

Best answer selected by hogan773.
m
l
October 31, 2012 2:13:40 AM

Z1NONLY said:
Newer or older version of CPU-Z.

Coretemp maybe?

Uggh. Rolling back to an older version of CPU-Z did the trick. I was on 1.58 previously. I tried 1.62, 1.61 and 1.60 and they all had the futz-up with the multiplier. It worked on 1.59 so that is the "newest" version I can use I guess.

Weird that they would have it not work at the 2600K is a pretty standard chip and lots of people have them.

m
l
!