Sign in with
Your question

How to format a hard drive without booting

Last response: in Systems
June 25, 2012 6:44:31 AM

my windows was not correctly installed and now does gets started and always displays an error message... i want to formatt my hard disk.. can someone please help me out??????
June 25, 2012 7:04:54 AM

you have the option to delete/format the partition when you do the reinstall from the windows dvd
June 25, 2012 7:28:19 AM

Reboot the rig using the Windows DVD.
Restart installation Process.
When it takes you to the window where it asks for the disc on which you need to install windows, click on advanced hard disc options.
Under that you will see one 100MB partition reserved for the system and the other drive partitions.
Click on the 100MB Partition and delete it, confirm as unreserved/raw space.
Click on the drive partition you want to instal windows on and delete it.
Confirm that that space plus the 100MB partition have both become one single RAW un-partitioned space.
Then click on the partitioned RAW space now created and select it to install windows on.
It will ask you , that it requires 100MB for installing windows as systems space, confirm and say yes.
Let it do the rest.
You shall hopefully not have any problems.
Related resources
June 25, 2012 7:39:18 AM

the instalation procees is not restarting... it displays an error message and then sysytem restarts to same problem
June 25, 2012 7:46:55 AM

What error message are you getting?
Sounds like a hardware problem, make sure nothing is heating up .
Any clicking sounds coming from the HDD?
June 25, 2012 8:00:34 AM

actually what happened was.. i was installing windows server 2003 on my system.. when the hard disk was being formated ... power went off... the system shut down... and the next time when i turned it on.. windows server starts and displays ''windows needs to restart the installation'' and when and i click on retry.. nothing happens.. please help me?
June 25, 2012 8:03:13 AM

Boot into DOS mode using the advanced booting options from the Windows DVD.
Then use the Format c:
at DOS Prompt supposing the C was the drive on which you were installing Windows
Let i complete the formatting
and then try reinstalling windows again
June 25, 2012 8:06:04 AM

the boot does not appears after inserting the windows disc... but it starts the incomplete installed windows displaying the error message again
June 25, 2012 8:09:40 AM

Arre..... press F8 when booting or then set boot disc priority for DVD as first in the BIOS and try.
June 25, 2012 8:19:27 AM

on pressing F8.. the safe mode menu appears
June 25, 2012 8:21:51 AM

Choose boot into DOS mode.
June 25, 2012 8:26:26 AM

how to do that???
June 25, 2012 8:31:46 AM

It should be one of the option in the Boot Menu, where you see the options for Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last know Good Configuration etc etc.
June 25, 2012 8:33:17 AM

no.. it isnt.. and also.. none of the options in the safe mode menu are working
June 25, 2012 8:37:43 AM

Last reply from me here, since I barely see your answer as an actual possibility.
If you have a Windows 98 CD , or can find one, bootable one, then use that and go through the documentation on how to format a HDD in DOS mode.
Do the needful it will work.
July 22, 2012 2:06:34 AM

alyoshka said:
Reboot the rig using the Windows DVD.
Restart installation Process.
When it takes you to the window where it asks for the disc on which you need to install windows, click on advanced hard disc options.
Under that you will see one 100MB partition reserved for the system and the other drive partitions.
Click on the 100MB Partition and delete it, confirm as unreserved/raw space.
Click on the drive partition you want to instal windows on and delete it.
Confirm that that space plus the 100MB partition have both become one single RAW un-partitioned space.
Then click on the partitioned RAW space now created and select it to install windows on.
It will ask you , that it requires 100MB for installing windows as systems space, confirm and say yes.
Let it do the rest.
You shall hopefully not have any problems.

Quote:
Thank you so much for this post. It was the key to installing windows on my new build. /cheer
July 22, 2012 2:46:51 AM

Had a derp quote there. But yeah this helped me out a great deal alyoshka, keep up the good work.
July 22, 2012 4:03:20 AM

You're welcome.
!