Sign in with
Your question

Graphic Card upgrade (integrated)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2012 4:48:28 AM

Hi.

Ive read so many helpful posts and articles but i think its better if I ask directly.
I'm not an expert and i don't want to make any mistakes.
I'm saving for a new computer but right now i have my semi-old pc and i want to buy a little upgrade if possible.
I just want the computer to survive the rest of the year and improve my gaming experience.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next 2 weeks

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mostly gaming, wow, diablo and sc2.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (Integrated RAMDAC 825mb). Power Supply: Bestec ATX-300-12E

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Gateway GT5426E Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor: AMD Athlon64 x2 Dual core processor 5200+ (2CPU's) -2.6Ghz
Memory: 2048Mbytes (1918MB RAM).
Mobo: Elitegroup MCP61P Chipset NVIDIA

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg or tigerdirect.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nvidia or ATI (games compatibility)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440 x 900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just want to play Wow, sc2 and diablo 3 whats left of the year if possible. I understand i wont be able to run the game on Ultra settings, but at least 10 fps on heavy graphic situations.

Thank you very much.
May 1, 2012 5:00:25 AM

with a 300W PSU its going to be hard to find a card that will work with that PSU. when i looked up the PSU it wasn't getting any positive comments. possibly an entry level ATI 5xxx GPU
May 1, 2012 6:34:15 AM

Thank you very much for your answer.
If you can please recommend a PSU. I was checking and they are not that expensive.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 8:55:58 AM

EFESTO said:
Thank you very much for your answer.
If you can please recommend a PSU. I was checking and they are not that expensive.

No need if you only game at 1440x900. A low powered graphics card such as AMD 7750 should be good for you. It does not require a PSU upgrade & it will play great at 1440x900. It cost around $110. Take your pick from these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
May 1, 2012 9:36:44 PM

Hello again:

I was about to purchase that graphic card but i was reading the speccs and it says that the gpu requires a psu of 450w minimum.

Can i still use it on my system? If i cant, what options do i have?
Maybe a psu and gpu combo?

Thank you
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 11:55:37 PM

7750 would probably work, but it is always a risk as we do not know how long the PSU has been in service as that affects it's reliability. As far as buying a new CHEAP PSU and Video card, I would suggest you at least spend a good amount of money on a solid PSU 600W quality one rather than one that will just service your needs now.

I reason this because you will save money in the long run if you just bring it along with your new system you plan to build rather than buy another one because your PSU purchased earlier just doesn't cut it anymore.
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 1:44:10 AM

EFESTO said:
Hello again:

I was about to purchase that graphic card but i was reading the speccs and it says that the gpu requires a psu of 450w minimum.

Can i still use it on my system? If i cant, what options do i have?
Maybe a psu and gpu combo?

Thank you

The specs provided by the video card manufacturer is overkill but good to follow if you are setting up new system. But if you already have a PSU & knowing you just want to maximize your system, use the calculator to check how much you really need given your PC components:
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
Based on the result after I input your system components ( with some assumption ). The requirement is about 230W.

!