Computer consistently dies.

Hi,

I have built my computer with the following specs:

AMD Phenom ii X4 955 BE
AMD Radeon HD 6850
ASUS M4A87TD EVO
Coolermaster CM690 ii Lite
Coolermaster GX 650w PSU
320GB Seagate Hard Drive
4gb (4x1gb) Samsung M378B2873DZ1-CH9
Running Windows XP 32bit.

The problem is that it starts to freeze constantly at the moment. It will freeze on startup mainly before the username comes up to log in. It also starts off by resetting whilst im playing a game or on the internet. I got an error report with the following:
BCCode 100000d1 BCP1 00000000 BCP2 000000FF BCP3 00000000 BCP4 B74910CB OSVer 5_1_2600 SP 3_0 Product 768_1

I have also noticed when i start it up the DRAM_LED light has remained switched on (red light).

I have used MEMOK and this has resolved the issue for a day at a time. Sometimes when the computer does freeze the sound will loop for a few minutes before stopping completely.

any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about computer consistently dies
  1. I would suspect the memory. Have you tried running MEMTEST86?
  2. I did and on the 2 pass it came back with this:
    Test: 8
    Pass: 2
    Failing Address: 00000100014 1MB
    Good: fbffffff
    Bad: fbf8ffff
    Err-Bits: 00070000
    Count: 1

    Im unfamiliar with memtest so I do not know what this signifies?
    Thanks

    I would also like to note that this is the second time in which RAM has been an issue as I have recently bought new ram for my computer. Could this mean there is something wrong with the motherboard?
  3. Just decoding the message, it says that out of 8 tests, 2 are passing.

    The failing address is the location which contains the flash memory that's gone bad, and the size of the module.

    Good and Bad probably means the expected and actual results.

    In short, your RAM is probably bad. Time to test it with just one stick to see which stick is the offending one.
  4. matt2403 said:
    I did and on the 2 pass it came back with this:
    Test: 8
    Pass: 2
    Failing Address: 00000100014 1MB
    Good: fbffffff
    Bad: fbf8ffff
    Err-Bits: 00070000
    Count: 1

    Im unfamiliar with memtest so I do not know what this signifies?
    Thanks

    I would also like to note that this is the second time in which RAM has been an issue as I have recently bought new ram for my computer. Could this mean there is something wrong with the motherboard?

    It's always harder to get 4 sticks of RAM to work in a given motherboard, than two sticks. It could simply mean that your motherboard has an issue with Samsung Ram( at least the models you have).

    Before I bought new RAM, I would check individual sticks with MEMTEST86 as eddieroolz suggested. Then, I would get a list of approved memory for your motherboard and pick memory from that list(either the manufacturer of the motherboard or the manufacturer of the ram).
    Good Luck!
  5. Ok so I have just memtest86 checked every stick of ram by itself (1hr each). they have all passed their checks. The samsung RAM is under the approved memory for my motherboard as I have checked the manual. I will now go onto checking them as a pair. Its getting to a stage where I am running out of ideas?

    Thanks
  6. matt2403 said:
    Ok so I have just memtest86 checked every stick of ram by itself (1hr each). they have all passed their checks. The samsung RAM is under the approved memory for my motherboard as I have checked the manual. I will now go onto checking them as a pair. Its getting to a stage where I am running out of ideas?

    Thanks

    Sometimes, with 4 sticks of ram, you have to slightly increase the voltage for the ram to be stable. Try bumping up the voltage by 0.05 volts then re-test, but don't go over the max voltage rating for the ram!
  7. the RAM is set on auto. it says Nominal Supply Voltage: 1.5v. Is that its max voltage or the current voltage?
  8. matt2403 said:
    the RAM is set on auto. it says Nominal Supply Voltage: 1.5v. Is that its max voltage or the current voltage?

    That would be the current voltage..you would look at the specs for your ram to determine the max voltage.
  9. Ok, so I upped it by 0.05v. it seemed to work fine then when i started playing a game it suddenly froze. I tried resetting but no beeps from the computer where made and the screen remains blank as it is not loading anything.

    After leaving it for 5 minutes i Came back to it and it started up again. It then froze on load up. I tried with 3 sticks of RAM and when I logged in a long continuous beep occurred.
  10. do this and it should fix your problem.. but for your specific specs

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYQCBGLRbNw&feature=player_embedded
  11. I have tried to find the DRAM RAS ACT Time but have been unable to find it. I have set the voltage to 1.55v, and giving the timing configuration as 9-9-9. There is also a timing mode of 1N on his motherboard. I cant seem to find this setting on my motherboard?
    Thanks
  12. matt2403 said:
    I have tried to find the DRAM RAS ACT Time but have been unable to find it. I have set the voltage to 1.55v, and giving the timing configuration as 9-9-9. There is also a timing mode of 1N on his motherboard. I cant seem to find this setting on my motherboard?
    Thanks

    The 1N is the memory command rate, and it should be in the BIOS where you check & set the memory timings. Usually with 4 sticks of RAM, you need to select 2N for stability.
  13. I set everything according. I ran the memtest for over an hour and it passed every test with no errors however the time being taken would be a bit jumpy. When the computer turns on however my DRAM_LED red light comes on straight away for about 2 seconds then it goes?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Cooler Master Computer Systems