Recommend router for p2p torrent use

setspeed

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I'm currently using a cheap Belkin G router which is giving me problems.
Regularly (3x a day or more) the wireless connection will just drop, and sometimes it will reconnect again on it's own, other times the router has to be restarted. This is just with normal internet browsing, no p2p or anything like that.
There are sometimes as many as 4 devices connected to the router (3 wirelessly) Win 7 laptop, dual-booting Linux/XP laptop, XP desktop (wired) and an Android phone.

On top of this, the router just cannot handle torrents at all - it will disconnect after a short period. I have adjusted my torrent program to only allow 40 connections at a time but it seems this is still too much for this router to handle.
I would say I'm an intermediate computer user - I know my way around Windows well enough to trouble shoot issues there, and I can use Google!

Anyway, I'm just sick of adjusting settings in this router to try and stop it from crapping out on me, and I've come to the conclusion that's it's just not man enough for the job - no surprise there since it's a cheapo one.

Ordinarily I would spend a lot of time researching the best product, and finding out what makes a router good for what I want it to do (can handle lots of connections, has a decent amount of ram inside??) but at the moment I just don't have time!

Please please please can someone recommmend a router/s that will stand up to 4 devices connecting to it, possibly 2 of which might be torrenting at the same time. Also, any simple explanation as to WHY it is good would also be much appreciated.

Thank you.

setspeed

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
Also, I forgot to mention that I only need G capability, not bothered about N (but wouldn't complain if it came with that). QOS would be nice, but not essential.
And it has to have a half decent range of 20ft through a floor.