Is it possible to change Cd Drive names

February 21, 2005 1:17:36 AM

Just wondered if it is possible to change my cd/dvd drive names
Pioneer,Sony etc rather than drive d:e: etcetera.

Ronnie

More about : change drive names

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:17:37 AM

Nope. What you see is what you get in this regard.

--
Walter Clayton

"Ronnie" <ronnie@broraweb.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just wondered if it is possible to change my cd/dvd drive names
> Pioneer,Sony etc rather than drive d:e: etcetera.
>
> Ronnie

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:17:37 AM

Ronnie,
Although part of what he says is true, you can add a name in front of
the drive like Sony D: or Pioneer D:
Go to Start, Right Click My Computer, Click Manage, Click Disk
Management, Right Click on the Disk you want to add name, Select
properties and you can add a name to the drive.
TonySper

"Ronnie" <ronnie@broraweb.co.uk> wrote in message
Just wondered if it is possible to change my cd/dvd drive names
Pioneer,Sony etc rather than drive d:e: etcetera.

Ronnie
Related resources
February 21, 2005 6:27:45 AM

Hi Ronnie,

Change CD/RW, DVD Names in Explorer (line 191)

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Ronnie" <ronnie@broraweb.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just wondered if it is possible to change my cd/dvd drive names
> Pioneer,Sony etc rather than drive d:e: etcetera.
>
> Ronnie

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:54:41 PM

Ronnie,

See DefaultLabel part in this article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

Example:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe\Drives\H\DefaultLabel

Set (default) to your preferred name. Where H is the CD-ROM drive-letter

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Ronnie" <ronnie@broraweb.co.uk> wrote in message
> Just wondered if it is possible to change my cd/dvd drive names
> Pioneer,Sony etc rather than drive d:e: etcetera.
>
> Ronnie

February 21, 2005 1:54:42 PM

Thank's for the help.
Ronnie