Sign in with
Your question

Packetloss during gaming, bad router? Help!

Last response: in Networking
July 1, 2011 4:18:18 AM

Hi, check my system specs under more information>member config for build please.. I get 10Mbps download, and 1Mbps upload. I play on wire, not wireless!

I have a WRT54G2 router, and I've had it working for around 2 years now. I've been gaming(Unreal Tournament 2004) with it and now-a-days I've been getting packet loss and it is super annoying. I keep getting owned during game play because I skip here and there and it lags sometimes. Also, the laptop upstairs that the family uses sometimes can't connect to the router, so I have to unplug then replug the router for the laptop to connect to the router. Is my router giving up? Its a G router, should I shift over to N anyways? Please and thank-you very much!

PS: Could it be my ISP?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2011 10:12:47 AM

Your ISP could be messing you around, or your adapter could be having problems.

The router upgrade should be a last resort.

http://serenityindex.blogspot.com/
m
l
July 2, 2011 6:00:12 PM

I would try unplugging the modem and the router for 1 minute. Plug the modem in wait for 30 sec. the plug the router in. See how that goes, occasionally you have to purge the modem to get it back to top performance.

Have you checked the firmware of the router? If its not up to date, try and update it. If all has failed call the ISP and see what they have to say (regarding the packet loss). For the Laptop does a reboot of the laptop also fix the connection issue?
m
l
Related resources
July 3, 2011 4:31:32 AM

I've unplugged the router and modem for over an hour and then connected them. I don't think doing it again would work. Sometimes i get P/L sometimes i don't. I'm almost sure i've updated the firmware of the router a while ago when an update had come out. A reboot of the laptop does not work, it still acts up and the connection still fails until i disconnect and then reconnect the power plug to the router. I'll have to call my ISP probably, i'll see.

Please, any more recommendations or things i can do? Thanks.
m
l
July 30, 2011 6:10:32 PM

This problem still persists, i do not think its my ISP anymore. Would going to a very high end N router be better than this G overall anyways? I think the laptop upstairs gives me packetloss during gaming when someones using it. Will it eliminate packetloss if i get a top performance N router?
m
l
August 6, 2011 3:20:08 PM

Can anyone please refer to my last post and answer please? Thank-you so much.
m
l
August 7, 2011 5:36:12 AM

open a command window and type the following command:

C:\>netstat -s -p tcp
m
l
August 10, 2011 11:02:25 PM

gnomio said:
open a command window and type the following command:

C:\>netstat -s -p tcp

What does this do?

I bought a new router, E4200 from Linksys. I still get packet loss here and there. That router I bought is top of the line and now I know its not the router anymore. Packet loss still exists here and there and I dont know what to do. Ill call my ISP soon I'll see whats up, but what does that cmd prompt do above?
m
l
August 10, 2011 11:14:50 PM

Tells you what is using the TCP protocol on your computer.

m
l
August 10, 2011 11:18:22 PM

What will I do after that? What will this tell me and how will I know what is causing this packet loss?
m
l
August 11, 2011 7:07:34 AM

I would suggest to ping your router and see what time you get it should only be some ms.Also try unplugging other devices connected to your router and try and see how it goes,in addition you are saying that the desktop is upstairs so I assume you enter wirelessly to the network with your laptop and you might have lower signal strength due to this.
m
l
August 11, 2011 10:34:32 PM

Can you list the information from your moden. Plug your modem directely into the computer and type in its IP.
Most modems dont have a password/username and if it does you should be able to find its default username/password on the modems companies website.

Also have you changed anything recenetly. Added a new tv, moved the modem to a new location, etc.

Oh and yea make sure its secure. Someone may be using your internet and causing your issues.
m
l
August 22, 2011 6:18:32 PM

mf2780 said:
Can you list the information from your moden. Plug your modem directely into the computer and type in its IP.
Most modems dont have a password/username and if it does you should be able to find its default username/password on the modems companies website.

Also have you changed anything recenetly. Added a new tv, moved the modem to a new location, etc.

Oh and yea make sure its secure. Someone may be using your internet and causing your issues.

Yeah I thought maybe someone is probably working their way into my network and using it, but I highly doubt it. My router tells me the correct # of devices connected to it. My modem is a Motorola SB5100. I think its a good modem but not too sure. We have a 10Mbps plan and we get 10Mbps, sometimes around 10.5Mbps. I'll do that step hopefully, modem directly into computer and type in our IP. I haven't added nothing to the router. I even bought a new E4200 router from Linksys and it barely helped, but still thankful I have a top of the line router you know =/
m
l
August 23, 2011 7:04:17 AM

I have had the same problem with the SB5101.

I would first check your modem's SNR, then there are a couple of options.

1) Complain to your ISP and have them get a technician to fix it.
2) Play around with your modem/router. Specifically(after reading about some problems with the sb5101), I lowered the MTU threshold on my router down to 1400 and it seemed to almost completely get rid of my problem. IIRC this would help if your MTU is higher than your fragmentation threshold. This may/may not be a problem depending on your ISP and a number of other factors.
m
l
!