The best possible graphic card

robkat

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hello,
I have PC AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core4400 2,3 GHz 4 gb ram win 7 64 500 gb hdd psu codegen 400x 400W - as my old gt8500 died, I searching for new one - what the best possible graphic card I can install?
Thank you,
Robertas

Given the limits of your PSU, nothing more than a HD7750, especially long term. Considering that your CPU will bottleneck a stronger card (and probably even that one), that's going to be your best choice for other reasons too, assuming you can afford it (~$100-$110). If not, then: HD7750>HD6670>HD5670. Get GDDR5, not DDR3.

robkat

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hi,
If I will add i-Tec PowerGamer 700W - supply unit - Modular Cable Management + Active PFC, what the possibilities I will have?

Not only that PSU is expensive, it's garbage too. It's advertised as 700W unit, however, having looked at specifications, I can tell it's no more than 500W. It has low power on 12V, and that's what you mostly need. Furthermore, it has no safety certifications, so if it blows up - it's likely to take whole your PC with it. That CX 430 is cheaper, comes from reputable brand, which means only quality materials were used to manufacture it, has only 100W difference on 12V rail. It's more than enough to run HD 6770, hell, it could even run HD 6950!

Check this:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX430-V2-Power-Supply-Review/1284/8

It could withstand 120W more than what it's advertised to be! And it didn't blow up - it safely shut down like it should be.

Check what no name brands power supplies can do:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862-3.html

Hope it's become clearer on how important good power supply is for your gaming graphics card.

randomkid

Distinguished

Not necessarily. Let the OP explore more option & advise him accordingly on the pros & cons of it. No need to force him on the first advise that was given.

randomkid

Distinguished

@vrumor - ^ this is how it should be done.

Sunius has it right. Buying a cheap PSU is never a good idea. If you're not convinced, spend an afternoon reading competent technical reviews (i.e. with load testing, waveform analysis, etc) such as are found at HardwareSecrets, Jonnyguru, and HardOCP.

robkat

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for all, I have chosen the chiepiest and easiest way - I have installed Sapphire hd 6670 and it's OK for me, now I'm enoy BT 3 on high settings.

Robertas