Multiple Jacks for Same Cat6 Line: Possible?

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Wiring my house for Cat6 very soon. I already have most of the architecture decided on (except the decision of whether or not to use a patch panel, but that's another story). However, the office layout is giving me problems.

See, I plan to rent out my house some years down the road, as work will inevitably force me to relocate sooner or later. I know that *I* would want the ethernet ports on the North side of the office, but I can conceivably see somebody else needing them on the South side of the office. Cords running across the room are a pet peeve of mine, so that's out.

Instead of placing the jacks on just one side of the room, I'd prefer to put a jack on BOTH sides of the room, for each line. Like how you used to find two RJ11 phone jacks on the same landline. (note: only one pair of jacks would be used at a time). Is this easily possible with Cat6? How would I do it?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
G
All cable runs have to start from a central point. They can't be daisey chained like telephone runs. Just run 2 CAT6 cables to the office.
G

All cable runs have to start from a central point. They can't be daisey chained like telephone runs. Just run 2 CAT6 cables to the office.

Solution

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
I had planned on running both from the central point, "daisy chaining" them together right before they entered the device.

It was more a matter of being at the port limits of the switch I had planned to use. I guess I'll have to decide which wall to use, because going to a larger switch isn't going to be feasible.

OR you could run the 2 seperate lines both back to the switch and just leave one unplugged (it would be easy enough to swap the line if\when you decide to use the other line by either adding a second switch to enable both lines (if you are at capacity on the number of ports on the switch or unplugging the south side line and plugging in the north side if you still only want to use the one side !