Windows Explorer wants to analyze my media files - How do ..

Windows XP is really starting to annoy me. Whenever I go into a folder with
any kind of movie file (.avi, .mpg, etc...), explorer.exe goes bananas
trying to analyze the files contained in the folder. This is most annoying
because I am usually trying to rename files or move them to another folder.
This becomes bothersome because explorer.exe is trying to do something to
the files and as a result I can't touch them as it gives me a 'it is being
used by another person or program' error when renaming or moving. It also
sends my CPU usage to 100% and slows down the computer while explorer.exe
finishes whatever it is doing. The only thing I can see it doing is trying
to figure out specifics about the file. i.e. If I have the view settings on
'details' and have the 'dimensions' and 'duration' options on (which XP just
LOVES to turn on for me by default!) then I can see those attributes slowly
appear as each file is analyzed. What I want to know is if there is some way
to turn off whatever explorer.exe is trying to do. I don't want to just
change a specific folder so the next time I go into it it doesn't happen
again. I want to turn off this feature altogether! I don't want explorer.exe
to try an do anything on ANY folder I create and put movies into. I don't
like having specific types of folders for documents, movies, music. I just
want ONE type of folder. Treat everything as a simple, uncomplicated file...
Ones and Zeros... No frills, No chills... nothing else. Is this too much to
ask?

Thanks

kelly

This has to do with how Windows XP previews files when opened with Explorer.
100% CPU usage when using Media Player/AVI files

AVI Search Remove (Line 74)

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Phil Spectre" <com-jherzog(removethis)@msn.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP is really starting to annoy me. Whenever I go into a folder
> with any kind of movie file (.avi, .mpg, etc...), explorer.exe goes
> bananas trying to analyze the files contained in the folder. This is most
> annoying because I am usually trying to rename files or move them to
> another folder. This becomes bothersome because explorer.exe is trying to
> do something to the files and as a result I can't touch them as it gives
> me a 'it is being used by another person or program' error when renaming
> or moving. It also sends my CPU usage to 100% and slows down the computer
> while explorer.exe finishes whatever it is doing. The only thing I can see
> it doing is trying to figure out specifics about the file. i.e. If I have
> the view settings on 'details' and have the 'dimensions' and 'duration'
> options on (which XP just LOVES to turn on for me by default!) then I can
> see those attributes slowly appear as each file is analyzed. What I want
> to know is if there is some way to turn off whatever explorer.exe is
> trying to do. I don't want to just change a specific folder so the next
> time I go into it it doesn't happen again. I want to turn off this feature
> altogether! I don't want explorer.exe to try an do anything on ANY folder
> I create and put movies into. I don't like having specific types of
> folders for documents, movies, music. I just want ONE type of folder.
> Treat everything as a simple, uncomplicated file... Ones and Zeros... No
> frills, No chills... nothing else. Is this too much to ask?
>
> Thanks

Thanks for the file but I cannot open the .vbs file. Windows asks which
program I want to open the file with? Is my OS missing something?

Thanks

> This has to do with how Windows XP previews files when opened with
> Explorer. 100% CPU usage when using Media Player/AVI files
>
> AVI Search Remove (Line 74)

> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Phil Spectre" <com-jherzog(removethis)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Windows XP is really starting to annoy me. Whenever I go into a folder
>> with any kind of movie file (.avi, .mpg, etc...), explorer.exe goes
>> bananas trying to analyze the files contained in the folder. This is most
>> annoying because I am usually trying to rename files or move them to
>> another folder. This becomes bothersome because explorer.exe is trying to
>> do something to the files and as a result I can't touch them as it gives
>> me a 'it is being used by another person or program' error when renaming
>> or moving. It also sends my CPU usage to 100% and slows down the computer
>> while explorer.exe finishes whatever it is doing. The only thing I can
>> see it doing is trying to figure out specifics about the file. i.e. If I
>> have the view settings on 'details' and have the 'dimensions' and
>> 'duration' options on (which XP just LOVES to turn on for me by default!)
>> then I can see those attributes slowly appear as each file is analyzed.
>> What I want to know is if there is some way to turn off whatever
>> explorer.exe is trying to do. I don't want to just change a specific
>> folder so the next time I go into it it doesn't happen again. I want to
>> turn off this feature altogether! I don't want explorer.exe to try an do
>> anything on ANY folder I create and put movies into. I don't like having
>> specific types of folders for documents, movies, music. I just want ONE
>> type of folder. Treat everything as a simple, uncomplicated file... Ones
>> and Zeros... No frills, No chills... nothing else. Is this too much to
>> ask?
>>
>> Thanks

| "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote:
| > This has to do with how Windows XP previews files when opened with
| > Explorer. 100% CPU usage when using Media Player/AVI files
| >
| > AVI Search Remove (Line 74)
| > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
| > --
| > All the Best,
| > Kelly (MS-MVP)

"Phil Spectre" <com-jherzog(removethis)@msn.com> wrote:
| Thanks for the file but I cannot open the .vbs file. Windows asks which
| program I want to open the file with? Is my OS missing something?
|
| Thanks

-Either-

Start
Run
wscript d:\path\to\FileName.VBS
Enter

-or-

Windows Explorer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
VBS
Actions: Open
Edit

- - -Edit File Type- - -
Action: Open
Application: C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*
[y] Use DDE
DDE Message:
Application: WScript
DDE Application Not Running:
Topic: System

OK
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Set Default
OK
OK

You can try this: Open an Explorer window, select a folder and make it look
like you want it to be. Then go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View and press
"Like Current Folder" button. Exit with "OK". That's it - all your folders
should be like th one you've created. In adition you can check/uncheck the
box "Remember each folder's view setings" under the same "View" tab.
Good luck, hope it was helpful.
->O

"Phil Spectre" wrote:

> Windows XP is really starting to annoy me. Whenever I go into a folder with...
<<snip>>