Buy a Canon 20D now or wait?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 2, 2005 2:44:02 PM

I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
20D.

However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
in the pipeline which could be announced soon.

Does anybody have any gossip etc.....

Steve
--
Milk floats, stainless steel sinks...

More about : buy canon 20d wait

August 2, 2005 2:44:03 PM

"Biker2 (Threadstopper)" <steve at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote in message
>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
> 20D.
>
> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....
>
> Steve
> --
> Milk floats, stainless steel sinks...

Hi.

Well, you can always wait on a new camera coming out, but as soon as you buy
that (whatever it is) you will hear about another new, and even better,
model about to be released.

Such is the ever evolving world of technology.

Roy G
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:44:03 PM

"Biker2 (Threadstopper)" <steve at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote in message
>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
> 20D.
>
> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....
>
> Steve
> --
> Milk floats, stainless steel sinks...

Canon has been fairly consistent in bringing out new models of it's
mid-range DSLR.
D30...D60...10D...20D.

Check the release dates under the Canon section of cameras on
www.dpreview.com and you'll see a fairly clear pattern. In my opinion, both
Nikon and Canon are about due for competetive updates (D70 and 20D).

Whether you "should buy or wait" cannot be properly answered by anyone but
you.
August 2, 2005 2:44:03 PM

Usually, I'm of the "go for it" mindset when it comes to deciding
between buying now or waiting. But, with Photokina coming up next
month it may be advisable to see what Canon has in store. My guess,
since Canon just released a model modification of the 20D (the 20Da),
is that there will not be a replacement right now. However, that
modification was highly specialized, and I would not be willing to bet
the price of a new 20D (or its potential replacement) that there won't
be a new mid-range Canon DSLR announced at Cologne.

Michael
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:44:03 PM

In article <42ef406f$0$19701$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
"Biker2 \(Threadstopper\)" <steve at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote:

> I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
> 20D.
>
> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....

The answer's the same regardless of when you pose the question or which
model camera you are considering. Anyone who has firm information about
new products that are in development would violate his or her NDA by
publicly disclosing that information.

So, you have two choices with regard to your decision. Either buy now,
or buy later. If you can wait, there is always a good chance a newer and
better model will be offered. This is true of cameras, computers, and
anything electronic. If you need a new camera now, buy now. Regardless
of what happens, the Canon 20D is still a fine camera and later dSLR
cameras that Canon will no doubt offer will not change that fact.
August 2, 2005 2:44:04 PM

<michael.j.hoffman@att.net> wrote in message
> Usually, I'm of the "go for it" mindset when it comes to deciding
> between buying now or waiting. But, with Photokina coming up next
> month it may be advisable to see what Canon has in store. My guess,
> since Canon just released a model modification of the 20D (the 20Da),
> is that there will not be a replacement right now. However, that
> modification was highly specialized, and I would not be willing to bet
> the price of a new 20D (or its potential replacement) that there won't
> be a new mid-range Canon DSLR announced at Cologne.
>
> Michael

Well Photokina at Cologne is in the fall of 2006, bet Canon will have
something.
August 2, 2005 2:44:05 PM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> a écrit dans le message de news:
bp-dnYAyG-s58XLfRVn-tg@rogers.com...

> Well Photokina at Cologne is in the fall of 2006, bet Canon will have
> something.

2006 ? Is this a typo? do you mean 2005?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:32:59 PM

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:44:02 +0100, "Biker2 \(Threadstopper\)" <steve at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote:

>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
>20D.
>
>However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
>in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
>Does anybody have any gossip etc.....

Canon already have the replacement for the 20D in the pipeline. In fact, it has most likely already been
fully developed and is awaiting the order for it to go into production. This order may not come for another
year. It all comes down to marketing. There is no point in replacing a camera that is selling well with a
better one. Wait until demand for the old one wanes, or the competition (read Nikon) announces new models.

The model life of a digital camera these days seems to be between 12 and 18 months.

So buy the 20D now, enjoy the camera, don't worry when it is replaced next year. There is nothing that says
you have to stop using a camera when it is replaced. Just the other day while awaiting the delivery of a new
digital camera, I fired up my antique (in digital camera timeline) 7 year old Olympus C-840L. It still works
well for a 1.3 megapixel camera. It would want to. I paid $1600 for it! ;-)
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:26:43 PM

Biker2 (Threadstopper) wrote:
> I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
> 20D.
>
> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....

You should wait. Definitely wait. As soon as you buy something in this
field either the price will drop and you'll have spent too much, or a
new model will come out and you'll be left holding something obsolete.
So keep your money in your pocket and sit tight.

Derek

P.S. I'm going shooting with my 20D this weekend. What are you doing?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:46:12 PM

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article <42ef406f$0$19701$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
> "Biker2 \(Threadstopper\)" <steve at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote:
>
>> I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the
>> Canon EOS 20D.
>>
>> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement
>> already in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>>
>> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....
>
> The answer's the same regardless of when you pose the question or
> which model camera you are considering. Anyone who has firm
> information about new products that are in development would violate
> his or her NDA by publicly disclosing that information.
>
> So, you have two choices with regard to your decision. Either buy
> now,
> or buy later. If you can wait, there is always a good chance a newer
> and better model will be offered. This is true of cameras,
> computers,
> and anything electronic. If you need a new camera now, buy now.
> Regardless of what happens, the Canon 20D is still a fine camera and
> later dSLR cameras that Canon will no doubt offer will not change
> that fact.

Always seems clear to me: either option will cost you.

If you wait, your money will be worth less, and you've thrown away the
one thing no one can recover: missed opportunities.

If you jump now, the next few days, weeks, or months will reveal
bargains and new equipment you didn't have a chance to incorporate in
your decision matrix.

So, you get to decide which throwaways are least important to you:
irreplaceable moments, or a few dollars' worth of money, convenience,
and self-satisfaction.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am >very interested in the Canon EOS
>20D.

However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
in the pipeline which could be announced soon.

Does anybody have any gossip etc.....

Steve
--
Milk floats, stainless steel sinks...

i would'nt even consider purchasing a 20d from canon! it's had more hickups/faults that one can care to imagine! rgds to all from
TBM...
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:43:40 PM

>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
> 20D.
>
> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....

Well...

Do you already have a workable camera?
How long do you anticipate the wait to be?
What do you anticipate the pricing to be when introduced?
Will the improved feature set be worth it to you?

Sit down and honestly answer each of those questions, and you should be able
to make a good judgement as to whether you would like to wait or not.

steve
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 8:59:19 PM

You should definitely wait .... until I get rid of mine.
But in the meantime, wanna buy a Totally Digital D60?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:16:36 PM

"Biker2 (Threadstopper)" <steve at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote in message
>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
> 20D.
>
> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....

Did someone say gossip?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=rumo...

There are rumors aplenty. General concensus is that since the 20D hasn't
even been out a year yet, an announcement for it's replacement won't come
until winter/spring '06. The upgrade cycle for this line has been running
about 18 months.

Mark
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 10:18:37 PM

"tbm" <ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> i would'nt even consider purchasing a 20d from canon! it's had more
> hickups/faults that one can care to imagine! rgds to all from
> TBM...

Don't pay any attention to trolls...
August 3, 2005 2:09:35 AM

Hehe, your dad got smart and backed out of the "deal" you were going to make
him?

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> a écrit dans le message de
> You should definitely wait .... until I get rid of mine.
> But in the meantime, wanna buy a Totally Digital D60?

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:16:12 AM

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:56:59 GMT, "tbm"
<ialwaysgetresults@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am >very interested in the Canon EOS
>>20D.
>
>However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
>in the pipeline which could be announced soon.

If you see me post that I have just ordered a 20D you can bet the
replacement will be out within a couple of weeks....

--

Scott in Florida
Anonymous

I would be hard-pressed to figure out what feature I would like to see
added, except maybe a true spot metering mode.

"Biker2 (Threadstopper)" <steve at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote in message
>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
> 20D.
>
> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....
>
> Steve
> --
> Milk floats, stainless steel sinks...

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:59:15 AM

"Steven Blackwood" <swblackwood@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I would be hard-pressed to figure out what feature I would like to see
>added, except maybe a true spot metering mode.

THAT...is my biggest gripe about Canon DSLRs (other than the 1 series, of
course).

It's just plain irritating that they don't include this, as (for me) spot
metering is one of the most useful capabilities in the field.

I know Canon would love for this irritation to convince me to spend 3.5K or
more on another body... -Might have to give in at some point...
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:25:02 AM

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:49:48 -0400, "Mike" <mike@home.ca> wrote:
>2006 ? Is this a typo? do you mean 2005?

No, it's not a typo; Photokina is a bi-annual event.

Andy
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:54:55 AM

Don't know about you, but I'm buying my new 20D in the morning.

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
> >I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon
> >EOS
>> 20D.
>>
>> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement
>> already
>> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>>
>> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....
>
> Well...
>
> Do you already have a workable camera?
> How long do you anticipate the wait to be?
> What do you anticipate the pricing to be when introduced?
> Will the improved feature set be worth it to you?
>
> Sit down and honestly answer each of those questions, and you should be
> able to make a good judgement as to whether you would like to wait or not.
>
> steve

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:54:56 AM

"R" <rlunos@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Don't know about you, but I'm buying my new 20D in the morning.

Reminds me of a song...
Let's all sing, shall we?

"I'm gettin' married in the mornin'
Ding Dong, the bells are gonna chiiiiiiime!"

:)
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:24:58 AM

news:o pmdne7EvIcVUHLfRVn-3Q@giganews.com...

> Always seems clear to me: either option will cost you.
>
> If you wait, your money will be worth less, and you've thrown away the one
> thing no one can recover: missed opportunities.
>
> If you jump now, the next few days, weeks, or months will reveal bargains
> and new equipment you didn't have a chance to incorporate in your decision
> matrix.
>
> So, you get to decide which throwaways are least important to you:
> irreplaceable moments, or a few dollars' worth of money, convenience, and
> self-satisfaction.
>
> --
> Frank ess

This is an example of why I always read you, Frank.
:)
Well put.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:23:45 PM

> If you wait, your money will be worth less, and you've thrown away the
> one thing no one can recover: missed opportunities.
>
> So, you get to decide which throwaways are least important to you:
> irreplaceable moments, or a few dollars' worth of money, convenience,
> and self-satisfaction.

Never have I heard the answer to the groups most FAQ put more succinctly...
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:49:14 PM

In article <42ef406f$0$19701$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, "Biker2
\(Threadstopper\)" <steve at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote:

> I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
> 20D.
>
> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.

Steve-

Yesterday a local dealer said there was some kind of big Canon corporate
meeting next week. That would be a likely time to announce models that
would be available in time for the holiday shopping season.

Even if new models are announced, they won't be in the stores for a few
months. Can you wait?

Fred
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:06:38 PM

I ordered mine yesterday...

R wrote:
> Don't know about you, but I'm buying my new 20D in the morning.
>
> "Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
>
>>>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon
>>>EOS
>>>20D.
>>>
>>>However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement
>>>already
>>>in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>>>
>>>Does anybody have any gossip etc.....
>>
>>Well...
>>
>> Do you already have a workable camera?
>> How long do you anticipate the wait to be?
>> What do you anticipate the pricing to be when introduced?
>> Will the improved feature set be worth it to you?
>>
>>Sit down and honestly answer each of those questions, and you should be
>>able to make a good judgement as to whether you would like to wait or not.
>>
>>steve

August 3, 2005 9:47:44 PM

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:39:41 -0700
"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> > ...spot metering...
>
> THAT...is my biggest gripe about Canon DSLRs (other than the 1 series, of
> course).
>
> It's just plain irritating that they don't include this, as (for me) spot
> metering is one of the most useful capabilities in the field.
>
> I know Canon would love for this irritation to convince me to spend 3.5K or
> more on another body... -Might have to give in at some point...

Why cheap out? Have a 1DsM2 sent to www.IWillTestItForFree.com and
I'll get it to ya as soon as it passes QA... ;^)

Jeff (Mostly happy with my KIA 20D;^)
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:44:57 AM

at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote:

>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
>20D.
>
>However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
>in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
>Does anybody have any gossip etc.....

The thing to do is wait--you'll get more for your money.

You can't listen to these people who are addicted to digital
photography--they buy everything and they'll tell you to buy
everything too.

The Drunken Lord
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:44:58 AM

"The Drunken Lord" <blredj@khtou.org> wrote in message
news:D c4bf1ld404ffk30ais9t0c5170e026qa6@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:44:02 +0100, "Biker2 \(Threadstopper\)" <steve
> at pvl dot co dot uk> wrote:
>
>>I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
>>20D.
>>
>>However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
>>in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>>
>>Does anybody have any gossip etc.....
>
> The thing to do is wait--you'll get more for your money.

More what?
Not more memories/images.
To get the most of those, you have to start as soon as possible.
I'd suggest you sober up, "Drunken Turd."

> You can't listen to these people who are addicted to digital
> photography--they buy everything and they'll tell you to buy
> everything too.
>
> The Drunken Lord
August 17, 2005 4:07:54 PM

Biker2 (Threadstopper) wrote:
> I am planning to purchase a DSLR and I am very interested in the Canon EOS
> 20D.
>
> However, I would be dismayed to find that Canon have a replacement already
> in the pipeline which could be announced soon.
>
> Does anybody have any gossip etc.....
>
> Steve
> --
> Milk floats, stainless steel sinks...