Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

FX-6100 Acting up(or maybe something else)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 31, 2012 3:08:57 AM

Alright so here's my specs

MOBO > Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (Bios Version F9)
CPU & Cooler > AMD FX 6100 3.3ghz (Stock Cooler)
RAM > 8gb 1600mhz G.Skill Sniper Series (Timings 9-9-9-24)
PSU > Corsair GS600w
GPU > EVGA GTX 550 Ti (Factory OC)
HDD > WD Blue 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
Sound Card > Onboard audio
OS > Windows 7 x64
Case > HAF 912 with 2x120mm fans

I'm currently using a very old monitor (1024x768 I'm buying a new hd one soon) and I get about 70-150 fps in bf3 but I get stuttering and short freezes sometimes. I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already and replaced my mobo to see if that would fix it but it didnt so now im here. I'm also only getting like 25-30 fps and lagging in dayz which is a more cpu intensive game which is starting to make me believe that the problem is cpu related but ive had people tell me it could be my Monitor, ram, hdd, cpu, mobo(Already ruled out since ive bought a new one and the problem still persist) and other stuff. Now im here asking for your help so i can figure out what part is causing the problem so i can return it to newegg before my 30 days expires (Nov. 8th).

If you would like to see some screenshots of cpu-z, gpu-z, hwmonitor etc. just let me know and i will reply with it asap.


Thanks in advance

More about : 6100 acting

a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 3:58:01 AM

Well you could upgrade to the new 8320 or the 6300 if you are afraid of the CPU being bad.
Could try oc'ing cpu with a better cooler.

Aside from speculating, but lets speculate some more: are your drivers up to date and what not? That 550ti is a somewhat older one.

Also your harddrive could be reaching it's end. Try using SMART and checkdisc and other harddrive distress checking software. Supposed to have 10% free for hardrives so you can defragment them easy.

Wait everyone already said that. lol (should still try it)

Trying out your parts on another computer to see if they work well with other configurations, is that possible?

What is your Internet connection's speed? In mutliplayer bad things can happen to you depending on latency ping and the Internet settings sometimes. Go to speedtest.net to test it
(unfortunately I don't have any specifics on that last settings part)
Score
0
October 31, 2012 4:05:18 AM

NoUserBar said:
Well you could upgrade to the new 8320 or the 6300 if you are afraid of the CPU being bad.
Could try oc'ing cpu with a better cooler.

Aside from speculating, but lets speculate some more: are your drivers up to date and what not? That 550ti is a somewhat older one.

Also your harddrive could be reaching it's end. Try using SMART and checkdisc and other harddrive distress checking software. Supposed to have 10% free for hardrives so you can defragment them easy.

Wait everyone already said that. lol (should still try it)

Trying out your parts on another computer to see if they work well with other configurations, is that possible?

What is your Internet connection's speed? In mutliplayer bad things can happen to you depending on latency ping and the Internet settings sometimes. Go to speedtest.net to test it
(unfortunately I don't have any specifics on that last settings part)



I guess I could try replacing the cpu but I want to actually get someone else opinion about what could be wrong instead of just blindly sending the cpu back.

Im using the newest drivers for my gpu.

This build is brand new and i still have tons of free space on the hdd. Its brand new.

I dont have another pc that i can interchange parts with atm :( .

My internet speed on speedtest is: 15 down 4 up but I'm also getting lag in singleplayer.
Score
0
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:05:57 AM

If you were getting terrible performance overall, I would pin it on the CPU (the 6100 just isn't that great), but since you do get good performance in BF3, at least (not counting the stuttering), I'm not so sure. The DayZ part is curious, though.

At 1024x768, you're hardcore CPU bound, so it's certainly possible that the 6100 is struggling. The 550 Ti, meanwhile should be very happy with that.

My guess is that the 6100 is having trouble keeping up with the 550 Ti at that res (and that's kind of strange to say, since the 550 Ti isn't a great GPU, itself).

An overclock wouldn't hurt (not with the stock cooler, of course). 3.3 with a BD CPU is dead slow.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:15:24 AM

I would have thought at that resolution it would have been easy even for bulldozer. But I don't play that game, or have that chip personally, so I'm not sure.

Piledriver is significantly better. And you may have just gotten a "bad bin" as some might call it.

I don't suppose it's a "settings thing" and you can just go back to an earlier restore point where this didn't happen?
'
Can you still return your cpu for most of the money? 6300 is a better chip, but 8320 would be even better and solve any CPU bound allergies your software has. (if can afford, gotta budget?)

I would suggest upgrade your cpu if you can return it for the money

*edit saw your post after mine so I edited the last line in
Score
0
October 31, 2012 4:15:39 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
If you were getting terrible performance overall, I would pin it on the CPU (the 6100 just isn't that great), but since you do get good performance in BF3, at least (not counting the stuttering), I'm not so sure. The DayZ part is curious, though.

At 1024x768, you're hardcore CPU bound, so it's certainly possible that the 6100 is struggling. The 550 Ti, meanwhile should be very happy with that.

My guess is that the 6100 is having trouble keeping up with the 550 Ti at that res (and that's kind of strange to say, since the 550 Ti isn't a great GPU, itself).

An overclock wouldn't hurt (not with the stock cooler, of course). 3.3 with a BD CPU is dead slow.


1024x768 is a very very low res i wouldnt expect that to cause a problem but thanks for the input. You think I should get a refund on the cpu and get an 8150 or something?
Score
0
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:21:14 AM

Why 8150, is it more affordable? Edit: annoying smilyes..

If you are upgrading your CPU get Piledriver. It is for sale now and there is no reason your mobo should not support since you just replaced it with a new AM3+, one I would think.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:21:38 AM

coolguy1212 said:
1024x768 is a very very low res i wouldnt expect that to cause a problem but thanks for the input. You think I should get a refund on the cpu and get an 8150 or something?


The low res is the problem. That puts a huge the load on the CPU. A lot of lower end CPU's would have some trouble keeping up with a modern GPU at low resolutions. Higher resolutions puts the load it back onto the GPU.

Anyway, I would return it and get a 6300 or 8320. You would want to overclock those too, though. They're better than their BD equivalents, but an OC would help them tremendously in gaming.
Share
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:23:08 AM

I didn't know at that low a resolution it goes to the CPU, does that mean it's a... Monitor bottleneck? lol
Score
0
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:27:08 AM

If intent on a CPU go for a refund and pick up an FX 6300 IMO. It is a better performer and has a good turbo boost on it at 4.1ghz.

Also not sure but you could have a bad card as well and it would help to see if you can drop in another card or test it on a friend's system to see if the lag issue persists. Good Luck
Score
0
a c 283 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:27:25 AM

NoUserBar said:
does that mean it's a... Monitor bottleneck? lol


:lol:  I suppose you could say that.

But think about it. When you see CPU testing in games, most of the newer CPU's (that most gamers would have) are very close to each other at 1080p and above, but when you go to low resolutions, the actual best CPU's show up and take their rightful place. That's because of the extra load being offloaded from the GPU to the CPU.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:48:21 AM

I've always heard that you need the highest end GPU to test if the CPU makes any difference in a game.

Not to downplay your statement, but I wanted to make sure.

I honestly didn't know if that was true, but though it would be funny if it went both ways. P:
So I searched around on google with "low res effect CPU?"

And got this(threads are a little old though):
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352014-33-usage-highe...

A lot of people are saying the same on other sites as well as a few conflicting ideas on how:
http://www.ehow.com/info_12216352_lower-resolution-affe...
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=428946
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2197372

So I guess with Battlefied 3's multiplayer that would be a bigger effect than some games... hA!

btw op is OCing an option?
Score
0
October 31, 2012 4:52:32 AM

NoUserBar said:
I've always heard that you need the highest end GPU to test if the CPU makes any difference in a game.

Not to downplay your statement, but I wanted to make sure.

I honestly didn't know if that was true, but though it would be funny if it went both ways. P:
So I searched around on google with "low res effect CPU?"

And got this(threads are a little old though):
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/352014-33-usage-highe...

A lot of people are saying the same on other sites as well as a few conflicting ideas on how:
http://www.ehow.com/info_12216352_lower-resolution-affe...
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=428946
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2197372

So I guess with Battlefied 3's multiplayer that would be a bigger effect than some games... hA!

btw op is OCing an option?



Yea that idea makes sense because bf3 and dayz are really cpu intensive games and if my cpu is already struggling with the res it explains why i lag in the games. And no I'm not going to overclock because im using the stock cooler but i might just end up buying the 6300 and the hyper evo 212 cooler. I'm going to buy a new monitor next month once i get more $$$ but in the meantime a better cpu wont hurt.
Score
0
a c 283 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:53:26 AM

I just skimmed over those links, so I don't know if they covered this, but it's not just resolution, either. Lowering the detail settings can have the same effect.
Score
0
October 31, 2012 4:55:46 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I just skimmed over those links, so I don't know if they covered this, but it's not just resolution, either. Lowering the detail settings can have the same effect.

Wait what? Lowering the details in what have the same effect as what? Sorry I'm really tired lol.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:58:10 AM

coolguy1212 said:
Wait what? Lowering the details in what have the same effect as what? Sorry I'm really tired lol.


The same effect as in lowering the workload the GPU processes. (the pixel counts, shading etc) As lowering the resolution would lower the overall workload too, I'd gander. Maybe a CPU to/from GPU timing execution unit could solve all of that.. or something.

Eh I edited for wording, not that it since my edit was ninja'd lols
Score
0
a c 283 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 4:58:14 AM

LOL, it's cool.

Just saying that lowering the detail settings can have the same effect as low resolutions (although not as pronounced). It basically does the same thing though because it takes a lot of load off of the GPU.
Score
0
October 31, 2012 5:01:26 AM

Actually I can't get a refund for my cpu through newegg so im going to have to stick with it. Should I just buy a new cooler and overclock?
Score
0
a c 283 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 5:03:47 AM

coolguy1212 said:
Actually I can't get a refund for my cpu through newegg so im going to have to stick with it. Should I just buy a new cooler and overclock?


Yeah, if you can't get a refund, I'd say get the 212 Evo and OC it as far as you can.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 5:04:07 AM

I don't know, as I've never overclocked. I would help though, not sure how much. A better cooler can transfer between builds though, so It's not a bad purchase regardless.
Score
0
October 31, 2012 5:11:15 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, if you can't get a refund, I'd say get the 212 Evo and OC it as far as you can.



You pretty confident that thats the problem? Just asking because i had a thread on overclockers.com and it got to page 9 and no one else knew what i could do/test to see what was wrong. No one said what you said though so it seems too good to be true since you found the answer so fast. Just checking lol :) 
Score
0
a c 283 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 5:14:33 AM

Well, I'll say that I'm 99% confident because nothing else really makes any sense. I suppose that there's something completely random and nonsensical that could be the problem, but we could spend days trying to figure that out, lol.

I'm just going with my gut and what I know.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 5:23:34 AM

If you want to try overclocking you could make a new thread in the Overclockers section about it.

Or here, this section seems to be the defacto help all section sometimes lol
Score
0
October 31, 2012 5:44:29 AM

Best answer selected by coolguy1212.
Score
0
October 31, 2012 5:44:49 AM

I selected an answer but im going to keep the thread going with my progression with that im doing and whats going on.
Score
0
a c 283 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 5:45:35 AM

That sounds good. :) 
Score
0
October 31, 2012 3:49:02 PM

Also when I'm in bf3 my gpu is at 95% pretty much the entire time. Just putting that out there.
Score
0
!