Nearest nVidia equivalent to the 7850

Goonerbyron

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of building a completely new build and was going to get a MSI 7850 Frozr for the graphics card. I have been thinking about it and think I would prefer an nVidia card as, although I haven't had a gaming PC for a long time, I have always preferred their cards and drivers to AMD and think I would like to be able to utilise the PhysX they offer.

My question is what is the nearest card from nVidia performance wise to the 7850? I don't want it offer less performance than the 7850 so probably the next step up from nVidia that is as close to the price range of the 7850 as possible.

What would you suggest?

monsta

Splendid
Good suggestions from ubercake, but also if you arent in a rush you could see what nvidias next 6xx card is going to be like, I'm sure it will shake things up a bit.

I do prefer the Nvidia drivers myself.

Goonerbyron

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
Looking at the prices in the UK, the 570 is actually quite a bit cheaper compared to the 7850 I was going to buy. Would it really offer better performance?

The 570 has been available for around £185 whereas the MSI Frozr 7850 is £200.

Would it be best to step up and go for the 580, or even possibly wait to see what new card nVidia come out with that are cheaper than the 680?

HD7850 is a great combination of power and efficiency with great OCing potential. nvidia has not released the new cards to compete with this yet.
A GTX670/660 if that's what they will be called would be what I'd wait for if you have to have nvidia.
-Bruce

Check it for yourself:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,review-32392-6.html

If you can afford GTX 580, it would be a decent buy. However, Nvidia will be launching its new cards soon, so it's worth waiting a little bit.

The 570 is already out and a better performer than the 7850 today; well above what any overclock on a 7850 would give you.

If you're considering a 670, considering the pricing on last gen products, you're probably going to be looking at a $400-450 price tag. Also, going by previous gen release pricing, a 660 will run $300-350 and may offer the same performance as 570 you can get today for $300.