Sign in with
Your question

~$1,200 build later in the year but $120 to spend now

Last response: in Systems
June 25, 2012 5:45:26 PM

I plan on building a desktop for about $1,200 US in a few months but I have about $120 Amazon credit I was hoping to put towards it now. With prices continuously changing what would be the safest to buy?

I was thinking of using that to get a Cooler Master HAF 912 case for $60 and a Corsair CX600 PSU for $60.

I don't plan on doing SLI/Crossfire so would 600W be good for a single card for a while and will the case be big enough even though I don't have any of the other parts planned?

I imagine that with prices constantly changing that this is probably a stupid question, but I wanted to get a head start on a later build.
June 25, 2012 5:53:07 PM

Cases and PSUs generally age slower than other stuff so go for it, just check that the HAF will fit the motherboard and any cooling you are planning, also check maximum GPU length
June 25, 2012 5:57:48 PM

Unless your credit will expire, it is usually better to wait. For most parts, the prices will only drop.
Buying now runs the risk that you may change your mind about parts which might be launched in the future.

A 600w psu will be good enough for a GTX680 or 7970. Pretty much ok for any single gpu card.

Look for a case you really love. Most will be perfectly functional.
If you find one on sale, then it is probably safe to buy if it is a midsize tower or larger.
But, suppose, in the interim, you see something you like better?

I would wait.
June 25, 2012 8:14:41 PM

geofelt said:
Unless your credit will expire, it is usually better to wait. For most parts, the prices will only drop.
Buying now runs the risk that you may change your mind about parts which might be launched in the future.

A 600w psu will be good enough for a GTX680 or 7970. Pretty much ok for any single gpu card.

Look for a case you really love. Most will be perfectly functional.
If you find one on sale, then it is probably safe to buy if it is a midsize tower or larger.
But, suppose, in the interim, you see something you like better?

I would wait.

No, credit doesn't expire, but the Amazon account is used be other people, so I wanted to use up my credit before someone else does. It probably would make sense to just wait though.
!