Camera advice

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 2, 2005 3:19:03 PM

I have a now ageing Canon Ixus V. I love the camera but have always been
disappointed with the flash. I am looking for a replacement that has a good
flash and as big an optical zoom as possible. I'm more concerned about
those two things than the number of megapixels as I rarely print and rarely
go above 10x8 when I do. I have about £300 to spend but am flexible on
that.

Angela

More about : camera advice

Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:19:04 PM

OB is right. I'm sure there are exceptions that we'll probably hear
about, but most cameras that have a built in flash are not intended for
lots of flexible flash work, especially at any distance. Any that I've
ever been exposed to were good to ten or fifteen feet. Anything more
requires a hot shoe to use a big gun flash, which means you need to
think about compatibility in your camera choice and allow for it in
your budget. (Or find one that's good in low light and start shooting
available light as opposed to flash.)
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:37:00 PM

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:19:03 +0100, "AK" <anyoldmail@gmail.getridofme.com> wrote:

>I have a now ageing Canon Ixus V. I love the camera but have always been
>disappointed with the flash. I am looking for a replacement that has a good
>flash and as big an optical zoom as possible. I'm more concerned about
>those two things than the number of megapixels as I rarely print and rarely
>go above 10x8 when I do. I have about £300 to spend but am flexible on
>that.

For the best flash performance, look for something that takes an external flash, like a Fuji s7000
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 2, 2005 6:13:59 PM

"Kitt" <niteman3d@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OB is right. I'm sure there are exceptions that we'll probably hear
> about, but most cameras that have a built in flash are not intended for
> lots of flexible flash work, especially at any distance. Any that I've
> ever been exposed to were good to ten or fifteen feet. Anything more
> requires a hot shoe to use a big gun flash, which means you need to
> think about compatibility in your camera choice and allow for it in
> your budget. (Or find one that's good in low light and start shooting
> available light as opposed to flash.)

I already have an slr set-up so don't want to get into cameras that requite
add-ns, I just want the best that's around and if that means a good
low-light camera then great.....I just need to know which ones they are :)
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:14:00 PM

In article <dcnrjp$800$1@news.freedom2surf.net>,
"AK" <anyoldmail@gmail.getridofme.com> wrote:

> "Kitt" <niteman3d@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > OB is right. I'm sure there are exceptions that we'll probably hear
> > about, but most cameras that have a built in flash are not intended for
> > lots of flexible flash work, especially at any distance. Any that I've
> > ever been exposed to were good to ten or fifteen feet. Anything more
> > requires a hot shoe to use a big gun flash, which means you need to
> > think about compatibility in your camera choice and allow for it in
> > your budget. (Or find one that's good in low light and start shooting
> > available light as opposed to flash.)
>

> I already have an slr set-up so don't want to get into cameras that requite
> add-ns, I just want the best that's around and if that means a good
> low-light camera then great.....I just need to know which ones they are :)

Check http://www.dpreview.com for reviews on lots of digital cameras.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 9:36:27 PM

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:19:03 +0100, AK wrote:

> I have a now ageing Canon Ixus V. I love the camera but have always been
> disappointed with the flash. I am looking for a replacement that has a good
> flash and as big an optical zoom as possible. I'm more concerned about
> those two things than the number of megapixels as I rarely print and rarely
> go above 10x8 when I do. I have about £300 to spend but am flexible on
> that.

It won't help with the zoom, but you can get inexpensive wireless
flash units that are triggered by the P&S camera's own flash unit.
You'd have to get one designed to ignore your camera's 'pre-flash'.
Canon makes one that they say is compatible with most of their
PowerShot series of cameras, and it includes a camera mounting
bracket, but don't know if it would work with your Ixus. Other
manufacturers to check might be Metz and Vivitar. B&H is among the
dealers that sells these wireless flashes.

I think that the forthcoming Fuji E900 (compact, but not tiny) has
a 6x zoom. As with their F10 which has the same type of sensor, the
flash range in conjunction with the much more sensitive sensor
allows the flash to cover much greater distances than usual. You
probably wouldn't want the F10, but the review of it on dpreview.com
should give you a good idea of what its sensor might do for the E900
and its built-in flash unit.
!