Alternative to Patch Panels... in attic

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Has originally planned on doing full runs in my home of Cat6, from wall plate to wall plate. It seems fairly straightfoward, considering I'll be placing my modem, router, switch, etc. on a high shelf in a living area as opposed to taking a stacked closet or rack approach.

I was hoping to find a product that I could use in the attic so that I could re-route the wall-to-wall connections should I choose to do so in the future. Using two patch panels connected with pre-made fixed lengths of stranded seems to just be adding compleity for no reason.

Is there any product that would take solid strands on both sides, other than just using two patch panels or a whole bunch of couplers?

You want to just use cabling with jacks on it from point to point? Just dangle the cables from the wall and attach them to the switch. There are wall plates that accept a full jack rather than individual wires also, can't find them now but I know I have seen them.

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Ended up deciding on a 48-port patch panel. I was originally put off by the idea of putting in a rack, so I decided I'd just frame out 19" off one of the existing vertical braces and attach it with wood screws.