Need advice on taking photos of jewellery.

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 2, 2005 10:20:02 AM

I need some advice on taking pictures of jewellery.
In particular, I need to photograph diamonds.
I've got a digibox and so far the reults I'm haavong are average.

I've seen in magazines that they get crystal clear pictures.

What kind of things should I be doing?
Are there specific methods or camera setup?
I'm not a professional photographer... but... I'm using the macro
function on my camera... and nothing else.

Also... does the camera I'm using matter?
I've got a Fuji S500 and that serves me well for most things.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:38:54 PM

In article <1122988802.001040.45410@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
om.newsgroup@gmail.com wrote:

> I need some advice on taking pictures of jewellery.
> In particular, I need to photograph diamonds.
> I've got a digibox and so far the reults I'm haavong are average.
>
> I've seen in magazines that they get crystal clear pictures.
>
> What kind of things should I be doing?
> Are there specific methods or camera setup?
> I'm not a professional photographer... but... I'm using the macro
> function on my camera... and nothing else.
>
> Also... does the camera I'm using matter?
> I've got a Fuji S500 and that serves me well for most things.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

It may help if you explained what results you are looking for. Can you
post some of your better photos on a web site and explain why you do not
like those photos?
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:18:17 PM

om.newsgroup@gmail.com wrote:

> I need some advice on taking pictures of jewellery.
> In particular, I need to photograph diamonds.
> I've got a digibox and so far the reults I'm haavong are average.
>
> I've seen in magazines that they get crystal clear pictures.
>
> What kind of things should I be doing?
> Are there specific methods or camera setup?
> I'm not a professional photographer... but... I'm using the macro
> function on my camera... and nothing else.
>
> Also... does the camera I'm using matter?
> I've got a Fuji S500 and that serves me well for most things.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> OM

you may find this useful

http://www.irphotoschool.com/lessons/c5050diamondRing/c...

I don't know the Fuji cam you mentioned... did you get that number
right? Anyway, it will help if it has macro.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Paul Heslop wrote:
Anyway, it will help if it has macro.

duh... must get these glasses fixed :o )
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:25:02 AM

om.newsgroup@gmail.com wrote:
> I need some advice on taking pictures of jewellery.
> In particular, I need to photograph diamonds.
> I've got a digibox and so far the reults I'm haavong are average.

What is the digibox?

> I've seen in magazines that they get crystal clear pictures.

The macro mode on your camera is probably not very useful, compared to the macro
lenses the pros use for jewellery photograpy. How much of the frame does the
diamond take up? If it's only 5% of the width of the photo then it's not
surprising that your pics aren't very good.

Use a tripod if possible too, and use the aperture that is best for your lens.
Wide open may be a bit soft, but if you can stop down to 5.6 or so, then the
pics will be a bit sharper.

> What kind of things should I be doing?
> Are there specific methods or camera setup?
> I'm not a professional photographer... but... I'm using the macro
> function on my camera... and nothing else.
>
> Also... does the camera I'm using matter?
> I've got a Fuji S500 and that serves me well for most things.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

August 3, 2005 3:31:50 AM

In article <42EF8086.9B872DBA@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk
says...

>om.newsgroup@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I need some advice on taking pictures of jewellery.
>> In particular, I need to photograph diamonds.
>> I've got a digibox and so far the reults I'm haavong are average.
>>
>> I've seen in magazines that they get crystal clear pictures.
>>
>> What kind of things should I be doing?
>> Are there specific methods or camera setup?
>> I'm not a professional photographer... but... I'm using the macro
>> function on my camera... and nothing else.
>>
>> Also... does the camera I'm using matter?
>> I've got a Fuji S500 and that serves me well for most things.
>>
>> Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> OM
>
>you may find this useful
>
>http://www.irphotoschool.com/lessons/c5050diamondRing/c...
>
>I don't know the Fuji cam you mentioned... did you get that number
>right? Anyway, it will help if it has macro.
>
>--
>Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")

Paul,

Nice tutorial on jewelery photography. I'd only add two tweaks: the top of the
diamond is seeing a bit too much light and is flaring a bit (at least in my
opinion, based on the JPG on the site, and my laptop). Finding the angle of
incidence and hanging a bit of dark material might remove this. Second, I'd
add a "kicker" light, or mirror/reflector, to get a bit more snap in the
stone. Minor, but would take it to the next level.

Anyway, I think you have helped the OP quite a bit, and it didn't take 2,000
words, just a good link.

Hunt
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:28:22 AM

Hunt wrote:

> In article <42EF8086.9B872DBA@blueyonder.co.uk>, paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk
> says...
> >
> >om.newsgroup@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> I need some advice on taking pictures of jewellery.
> >> In particular, I need to photograph diamonds.
> >> I've got a digibox and so far the reults I'm haavong are average.
> >>
> >> I've seen in magazines that they get crystal clear pictures.
> >>
> >> What kind of things should I be doing?
> >> Are there specific methods or camera setup?
> >> I'm not a professional photographer... but... I'm using the macro
> >> function on my camera... and nothing else.
> >>
> >> Also... does the camera I'm using matter?
> >> I've got a Fuji S500 and that serves me well for most things.
> >>
> >> Any advice would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> OM
> >
> >you may find this useful
> >
> >http://www.irphotoschool.com/lessons/c5050diamondRing/c...
> >
> >I don't know the Fuji cam you mentioned... did you get that number
> >right? Anyway, it will help if it has macro.
> >
> >--
> >Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
>
> Paul,
>
> Nice tutorial on jewelery photography. I'd only add two tweaks: the top of the
> diamond is seeing a bit too much light and is flaring a bit (at least in my
> opinion, based on the JPG on the site, and my laptop). Finding the angle of
> incidence and hanging a bit of dark material might remove this. Second, I'd
> add a "kicker" light, or mirror/reflector, to get a bit more snap in the
> stone. Minor, but would take it to the next level.
>
> Anyway, I think you have helped the OP quite a bit, and it didn't take 2,000
> words, just a good link.
>
> Hunt

why thanks, and for the added extra hints!
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 10:19:51 AM

om.newsgroup@gmail.com wrote:
> I need some advice on taking pictures of jewellery.
> In particular, I need to photograph diamonds.
> I've got a digibox and so far the reults I'm haavong are average.
>
> I've seen in magazines that they get crystal clear pictures.
>
> What kind of things should I be doing?
> Are there specific methods or camera setup?
> I'm not a professional photographer... but... I'm using the macro
> function on my camera... and nothing else.
>
> Also... does the camera I'm using matter?
> I've got a Fuji S500 and that serves me well for most things.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

If you have a flatbed scanner you can get nearly perfect results by
directly scanning the jewelery. I did some a few years ago with diamond
rings on my wife's hand. She just put her hand upside down on the
scanner bed and it took the photograph as clearly and sharply as any
macro lens could. Be imaginative and move the stuff around and you'll be
surprised at the results... They are after all a camera in drag!

--
Douglas,
Zero care factor for negative responses