Sign in with
Your question

Diablo 3 - EVGA 8800GTS x 3 or GTX 550 Ti (Fermi)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2012 4:45:42 PM

The Motherboard i'm using :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This is the videocard i'm currently using:

I have am able to purchase 2 more of the exact same 8800GTS for less than the price of the GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) listed below.

Would it be better for me to do the double or triple SLI because the game does support it or should i just go with the card below,

May 1, 2012 4:59:44 PM

Can you please list your entire system specs?

My vote is for a single card solution.

What CPU do you have? A weak/older CPU could create a "bottleneck" for a new gen vid card or 3-way SLI

Do you have a capable PSU able to support 3 x 8800GTS?

What res do you game at? Reason I ask is the 320mb VRAM on the 8800GTS could be a limiting factor at higher resolutions. (im guessing its 320mb, im at work so those links are blocked for me)

I'm not sure if the 8800GTS scale very well in SLI to make it worth it, let alone 3-way SLI. (maybe someone else can chime in on this cards SLI performance).

Plus, I would be concerned about the possibility of micro-stutter and heat issues w/ 3-way SLI.
m
l
May 1, 2012 5:00:55 PM

I would go with the best single card you can afford. Then you can SLI that card at a later date.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2012 5:31:56 PM

brett1042002 said:
Can you please list your entire system specs?

My vote is for a single card solution.

What CPU do you have? A weak/older CPU could create a "bottleneck" for a new gen vid card or 3-way SLI

Do you have a capable PSU able to support 3 x 8800GTS?

What res do you game at? Reason I ask is the 320mb VRAM on the 8800GTS could be a limiting factor at higher resolutions. (im guessing its 320mb, im at work so those links are blocked for me)

I'm not sure if the 8800GTS scale very well in SLI to make it worth it, let alone 3-way SLI. (maybe someone else can chime in on this cards SLI performance).

Plus, I would be concerned about the possibility of micro-stutter and heat issues w/ 3-way SLI.

Video card - EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400

Motherboard - EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory - 4gb Kingston HyperX - 1066 - DDR2

HD - Western Digital Raptor 10krpm

PSU - 800w
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 6:01:55 PM

8800GTS in sli are about a gtx 460 I would think.

A 460 vs a 550ti are very close with the 550ti looking a lil bit better.

Thus a 3 way sli should be better than the 550ti alone.

I'd rather gun for a 550ti or other card like it. Simple set up.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 6:24:20 PM

i would try to get a single card solution, getting something newer opens a door for a cheaper upgrade later down the road vs when you build a new computer u'd have to update graphics card along with evertything else
m
l
May 1, 2012 6:24:27 PM

SLI frame stuttering is terrible. Go with a single card solution and never SLI. The dips on FPS are so annoying once you've had a high end single card solution.
m
l
May 1, 2012 6:38:05 PM

I would recommend a 256-bit card or higher. They will preform better then the 192-bit card you have listed and will last you longer in the long run.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 7:14:33 PM

Also keep in mind some of the earlier SLI implementations required exact replica cards, including the VGA Firmware. I don't know if this limitation existed for the 8xxx series, but it's a pain to resolve, and you will likely have different versions of the firmware considering the age of the card.

I would go for the single card, no sense throwing good money at dead tech.
m
l
May 1, 2012 7:21:12 PM

I'm still a bit on the fence though. I did locate a retailer selling these exact evga 8800gts cards new for 49.95 a piece. So your all saying that purchasing 2 more cards and doing a 3x8800gts setup would not be worth the 100 investment?

The 120 investment for the 550ti would still be better?

The only downfalls i'm seeing so far is in regards to SLI frame stuttering and the fact that it is older technology.... Can someone elaborate on SLI frame stuttering?

Knowing this you guys would still buy a newer card?

<i guess i'm stuck in the more cylinders = more power mode :bounce: >
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 7:50:22 PM

loops said:

I'm sorry, what? 460 will eat 550ti for breakfast, simply because 550ti kind of sucks(no offence to the guy with i3+550ti).

To OP: Get a 550ti if you don't need anything better. Don't get 8800GTS in tri-sli because of microstuttering and you can always throw in another 550ti when you get in trouble.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 7:53:06 PM

loops said:

I'm sorry, what? 460 will eat 550ti for breakfast, simply because 550ti kind of sucks(no offence to the guy with i3+550ti).

To OP: Get a 550ti if you don't need anything better. Don't get 880GTS in tri-SLI because of microstuttering and you can always throw in another 550ti if the going gets tough.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 7:53:54 PM

lol, wtf just happened there
m
l
May 1, 2012 8:00:45 PM

My main monitor is a 22" widescreen Viewsonic
My secondary monitor is just an old 17" i have off to the side.

My budget is low, 100 dollar range. (hence me trying to wiggle through it with some old hardware)

Thanks for all the input on Micro Stuttering I had no idea this even existed....... Its so disheartening to even learn of this concept.

I'm so glad I discovered it here before i ended up loading up my computer. I would have been quite disappointed.

Time to go dig through the "Video card of the month" article and try to find some good sales on single cards. :D 
m
l
May 1, 2012 8:16:29 PM

Quote:
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT MICRO-STUTTERING...
depending on your set-up it might not even exist, I have two SLi set-ups and DO NOT EXPERIENCE ANY SUCH EVENTS..

Oh my.....

The wiki on this seems to indicate that this is a flaw in all SLI or Multi card systems. It does not indicate that its intermittent just that some people may not notice the effects of it.....

Can anyone else elaborate some more on micro-stuttering?

To quote the wikki,

"Under which frame rate the effects of micro stuttering becomes apparent varies depending on numerous variables and how sensitive the human test-subject is. The worst-case scenario would be that the frames from all GPUs finish rendering at the same time, in such a case the frame rate perceived by the viewer would be half of the reported average frame rate in the case of a dual-card configuration, and just a fourth in a quad-GPU configuration."

"Micro stuttering is a term used in computing to describe a quality defect inherent to multi-GPU configurations using alternate frame rendering (AFR), such as nVidia SLi and AMD CrossFireX. It manifests as irregular delays between frames rendered by the multiple GPUs, causing the instantaneous frame rate of the longest delay to be significantly lower than the frame rate reported by benchmarking applications, such as 3DMark, as they usually calculate the average frame rate over a longer time interval. In lower frame rates[note 1] when this effect may be apparent the moving video appears to stutter, resulting in a degraded gameplay experience in the case of a video game, even though the frame rate seems high enough[note 2] to provide a smooth experience. Single-GPU configurations do not suffer from this defect and can in some cases output a subjectively smoother video compared to a multi-GPU setup using the same video card model.[1][2][3][4]
The effects of micro stuttering varies depending on the application and driver optimizations. It remains an issue with both nVidia- and AMD-based multi-card setups as of September 2011, however nVidia's SLI solution is less affected by the phenomenon for dual-GPU setups[citation needed]. Beyond dual-GPU setups, CrossFireX/SLI setups do not seem to be as affected by micro-stuttering; the frame rate variability in a three-way CrossFireX setup approaches the smoothness achieved by a single GPU.[5]"

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 8:22:07 PM

Um also, what PSU do you have? Those 8800s will suck up power like theres no tomorrow. A single 550ti would be a better option if your bduget is that low. Just gonna guess and say your PSU wouldnt be enough for 3 8800s. Yeah 800w is no where near enough and its probably a craptacular brand as well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 8:30:45 PM

Micro Stuttering is a problem with hardware creating two images that are nearly the same. Some people notice it because their eyes are more sensitive. Many people never even see it because their eyes are not sensitive enough. It happens for the same reasons some people can tell the difference between gaming at 30 FPS and 60 fps and some can't. If gaming at 30 FPS bothers you a setup with microstuttering is more likely to bother you.

I agree with vrumor about the power draw of 3 8800s... 800Watts may not be enough. With the heat from three 8800s pumping out of the back of your rig you might be able to roast whole chickens behind your rig though... just get a little spit to turn the poultry on and you are good to go...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 8:31:46 PM

Can't do Tri SLI with 8800 GTS 512
m
l
May 1, 2012 8:32:30 PM

Yeah, just wondering, does your psu even have 6x 6pin pci-e connectors? But yeah micro stuttering is a freaking pain in the arse especially if you have a 120hz monitor - holy crap its annoying. Wait and get a 660.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 8:41:27 PM

delluser1 said:

I guess that answers that question...
m
l
May 1, 2012 8:50:49 PM

delluser1 said:

Pacioli is right, this comment pretty much ends the debate :heink: 
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 9:04:05 PM

dkcomputer said:
SLI frame stuttering is terrible. Go with a single card solution and never SLI. The dips on FPS are so annoying once you've had a high end single card solution.

What SLi setup did you experience this with?
djscribbles said:
Also keep in mind some of the earlier SLI implementations required exact replica cards, including the VGA Firmware. I don't know if this limitation existed for the 8xxx series, but it's a pain to resolve, and you will likely have different versions of the firmware considering the age of the card.

Having done SLi setups since the 7xxx series I've never run into firmware clashes.
Zabbu said:
I'm still a bit on the fence though. I did locate a retailer selling these exact evga 8800gts cards new for 49.95 a piece. So your all saying that purchasing 2 more cards and doing a 3x8800gts setup would not be worth the 100 investment?

The 120 investment for the 550ti would still be better?

The only downfalls i'm seeing so far is in regards to SLI frame stuttering and the fact that it is older technology.... Can someone elaborate on SLI frame stuttering?

Knowing this you guys would still buy a newer card?

<i guess i'm stuck in the more cylinders = more power mode :bounce: >

I've always found that so long as the CPU is up to the job microstutter is not an issue, unless you count the reading/writing to HDD in which case get yourself some good SSD's.
m
l
May 1, 2012 9:21:48 PM

I cant think of a witty reply so I will just shrug shoulders and wait for OP response.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 6:52:18 AM

Quote:
mousemonkey has spoken..... ;) 
+1

(mm - where's the signature.?)

My ability to post custom gifs seems to be borked! :pfff: 

Whilst we're on the subject though, yours is 100 too long mate. :non:  :ange: 
m
l