Sign in with
Your question

Best wired router for internet gaming cafe

Last response: in Networking
July 1, 2011 2:30:32 PM

I am not knowledgeable about router, i put up a dsl connection for my 200 units internet gaming cafe and that dsl line have a modem on it. now i want to know what router is best for my needs and why?

brand i like maybe d-link or linksys any comments and reccomendation is much appreciated. be reminded that i don't need wireless. but it will be use in a big internet gaming cafe.... thnaks in advance...
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2011 3:19:08 PM

You need an enterprise class router to handle that many users. DSL will also be useless for this unless you have a very large bandwidth pipe for it.

Do a web search for "enterprise router", you will probably need to spend close to $1,000 or more to get one that will work with 200 users. You'll need to contact the vendors to find out exactly how many users the various models were made to support. The home routers you will see all over the place are not made for more than 10 connections or so.
m
l
July 1, 2011 7:04:12 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You need an enterprise class router to handle that many users. DSL will also be useless for this unless you have a very large bandwidth pipe for it.

Do a web search for "enterprise router", you will probably need to spend close to $1,000 or more to get one that will work with 200 users. You'll need to contact the vendors to find out exactly how many users the various models were made to support. The home routers you will see all over the place are not made for more than 10 connections or so.

Thanks for the fast reply

ok then i will seperate the connection by 50 units thru ip address connected to a switch. It means 1 dsl connection one modem one router to a 50 computer. download is block only online game can be access and simple surfing, can a home router handle this?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 1, 2011 7:32:56 PM

They just can't handle that many connections reliably, even 50 will be bad. They don't have that much memory to handle the load.

Check the model of the router you want to get, it will tell you what the limits are. You may need to contact the company for that info directly if it's not listed.
m
l
!