Microphone static

marcopoodle

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hello

I recently build my own PC and I have major issues with static when I use my microphone. It is a static that becomes much louder with mic boost and I can use noise suppression to kill the static but then my voice sounds like a robot and I have to yell for the mic to register my voice properly.

If any kind of wire is plugged into the pink mic jack, the static starts. For example when I just plug in an extension cord the static begins. So my mic doesn't even have to be connected to the PC!

If plugged in my front mic jack it produces a constant static and a screeching noise. The back mic jack just produces a constant static.

The static is there if I use the onboard Realtek audio and the static is the exact same if I use my Xonar U3 connected by usb. I was advised by friends to buy the Xonar usb because they thought the problem was that the onboard sound card was badly shielded and picking up case fan noices or electric interference. They thought that buying an external sound card would fix all that but it didn't work.

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

This is a recording of the static: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qudY3k7aFYE

marcopoodle

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

Hey Noidea and thank you for answering! I have now tried using an extension cord to connect to 6 different outlets across my apartment and made recordings with all of them. The static is the exact same on all recordings.

Hey Tripledouce

The mic is Siberia V2 but I cannot remember the price. The headset is not the problem though as the static is there whether the mic is connected or not.

bubbles11

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
i'm currently experiencing the same thing with the siberias, my mates have always been complaining how quiet my microphone is, but if I put mic boost they said that the static is too loud. I just ordered a Speedlink Clip-on microphone, hoping it will be better :)
But overall, the siberias have a quite crappy microphone unfortunately.

marcopoodle

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

Hey Bubbles

I was very happy with my Siberia mic when using my old PC. The sound was always crisp and clear and the loud static problem has only begun with my new PC. I'm very sure that the problem is with my PC I just don't know what I should do to fix it!

I can't see how buying a new mic would help since I assume that your voice would still be too quiet if you don't enable mic boost but please reply back if it works out for you!

bubbles11

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
i just got the microphone, and its simply better than the siberia v2's one. the sound quality is tons better, but the static is still there. less than with the Siberia mic, but less noticeable.
also, I discovered when I used Skype 6, or 5 the microphone is much quieter than the Skype 4. I downloaded Skype 4.xxx (the latest version 4. available on filehippo.com) and the intensity of the mic went WAY up, so i'm using only +10dB boost, and it sound much better. less static and more me :D

marcopoodle

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

I just dug up a 10 year old crappy mic and this mic records at a much higher volume meaning I can use noise suppression to kill all static without my voice getting too quiet. The very loud static problem is still there without noise suppression and noise suppression still makes me sound like a robot but at least I can be understood now.

Seems so silly that these "modern" headphones have so low recording volumes compared to a 10 year old cheap mic...

Thanks for the answer, been bugging me so much!

bLaCK1C34444

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Ok, I too have a custom built PC and it works perfectly with everything but microphone static. I have a Headset that can take 5.1 Dolby surround sound, but the mic has to plug directly into the motherboard on-board sound. (please note that I do not have a sound card at the moment, and aka the rear jack or front jack). When I record with just my output sound(mic disabled) there is no static. As soon as my mic is plugged in via rear jack, boom static. So I totally feel your pain.

Things I have tried/will try that you might consider:
I have a APC power block (Not the same as power supply) that will eliminate any static and bad current levels to my PC. So the alternating current is not this issue. This might help you. For a surge protector actually does not do this.

I was going to Buy an nice sound card until you said that did not eliminate static.

I am going to try a 3.5 mm jack to a USB converter since USB is a better properly grounded connection. or even to an XLR connection

What caused the static?
On board sound is very sensitive esp too the frequencies of the power supply (for good reason). When you plug the pink 3.5 mm jack into the back of your computer that frequency will interfere with your incoming audio of the mic input. This will cause unbearable static to whatever recording you will do. However, with Skype and most online games, they have an algorithm that eliminates the static.

Also the 3.5 mm jack is a really unstable connection and that can cause alot of static by itself sound card or not.

Common fixes are:
3.5 mm to USB
New Sound card (most commonly fixes the problem outright)
Better quality mic (if the sound card did not fix the issue)
APC

In extreme cases a better quality power supply. Surprisingly enough getting a better quality power supply will handle the outgoing frequencies a lot better and will eliminate a lot of the on board static that occurs from the mother board.

My suggestion for you: Use a better quality mic to see if the problem persists, and if it does what kind of motherboard and PSU do you have.

PS. I heard Xonars are really bad sound cards :/

G

I know this is an old thread but to anyone out there with this persisting problem like me READ THIS. I was having trouble with my onboard sound card having static, I only could really notice it at high volume in a video game when it got really quiet. I tried every other 3.5mm jack on my pc with the same static. So then I tried a usb sound card I had lying around. The static was gone, so next I plan on buying a xonar dg which will hopefully fix the problem and give me some better sound. Don't listen to this guy^ Asus makes great sound cards and I have heard nothing but good about the dg and dgx for stereo. When I buy the sound card I will post whether or not it fixed the problem.

Weak1ings

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
You may also want to try using the rear IO if you haven't already. This solved my problems completely for the Logitech G230, Be sure you either plug your PC into the wall or a Power supply connected to the wall. Don't rely on any power strips if at all possible.

hmazuji

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
i have the same exact problem. the first thing i do with my next montherboard is plug in a mic and see if there's any feedback.
i'm getting feedback even if the mic is not plugged in. with the mic in, it's unacceptable. it's that bad.
i've noticed that if i move my mouse, the noise changes, but if i disconnect my wireless receiver, the noise is still there. i've disconnected everything and used the rear jack, and the noise is still there.
it's a terrible problem to troubleshoot.

bloodedeagle

Reputable
May 26, 2015

This IS EXACTLY the problem I'm having, please for the love of everything tell me if you've got a solution!

hmazuji

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

5/1/14 my sister purchased a KingWin Stryker 500-Watt ATX 500 Fanless Power Supply STR-500 for me.

this solved my printer problem. i thought it was bad cartridges, then i thought it was a bad cable.
this solved my noise problem. i forgot i even had this problem.
this didn't solve my video problem. i was using a gtx7800 that was sucking up anywhere from 150 to 280 watts. my sister bought me a EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti with G-SYNC Support 2GB GDDR5 128bit, Dual-Link, DVI-I, HDMI, DP Graphics Card (02G-P4-3751-KR) that uses 65 watts. very nice upgrade. but i'm getting off topic.

i think that the problem i had was the antec power supply. it failed under load, so it was a bear to troubleshoot because it passed the power supply tester.

cloud1107

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
Im having the same problem. theres nothing plugged into any ports. I use team speak alot and check the sound capture test bar and it shows sound playing. Ive just built a new pc using an Asus Z170-A motherboard. I dont know if its my old power supply with my new components or if I should return the motherboard. I really cant afford a new power supply at the moment so I really dont know what to do :( ive removed all the unnecessary components from my pc like the fans and excess hard drives. but when i use my very old motherboard and cpu everything is clear no static/white noise problems at all. :(

TRENDING THREADS