CCC Isn't Correctly "Installing"

Meight

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Hi all,

I previously had a 5670. I now own a 6850. I uninstalled CCC and then removed my 5670 from MoBo. Then I put in my 6850.
Now, I installed CCC, yes. I installed it from the CD that came with my new GPU. Once that finished, I went ahead and went to the AMD site to see if there was a newer version of CCC. There was: (12.4).
My current CCC said I had 11.12 after running the .exe of my just-downloaded 12.4 (the latest version of CCC found on the AMD site), so I uninstalled CCC and tried running the .exe again.
Same thing happened - it still said I was on 11.12.
WHY does it say I still have 11.12 AFTER I installed the supposed 12.4 version of CCC from the website? I've "installed" this 12.4 EXE 4 times and it still says "last update today, your current version is 11.12. A current update is available: 12.4".

Screenshot here: http://i47.tinypic.com/219us0n.jpg

What do I do to get the appropriate and latest drivers? Many thanks in advance.

edit: spelling

Meight

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Ah. I knew a recommendation would be to get some sort of driver sweeper and trying to install again. Google searches I've done to fix this problem gave me so many different types of driver sweepers!
Guess I'll use yours. Is it easy to remove those specific drivers?

Meight

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Hey dude! Ahahaha

Hey, I spent nearly 5 hours of my day today trying to mess around and fix 12.4 and problems that arose from my GPU and drivers. As of now, my CCC still reads that I have 11.12 installed BUT, I fixed my problems with not being able to access CCC due to a "CLI Implementation" error that occured AFTER I installed Driver Sweeper and removed everything AMD- files, directories, and registries.
The solution that fixed my "CLI implementation" error was this one: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/1b8cbf79-9c73-4c47-8e9b-d5a7b3ec01bd
Basically, I went into regedit in safe mode and removed the AMD(or ATI)/ACE folder and its contents and all subfolders (as it says in the guide I linked). After that, I was able to properly install CCC.

But yes, it still reads that I have 11.12, AND, something that I find a tad bit interesting, IS that in Device Manager, it says my Driver Date is "4/5/2012" as opposed to what it was before when I just simply had my 6850 plugged in and NO CCC installed, 11/5/2011. Yeah, I dunno. Many other people I spoke with are reporting that AMD supposedly screwed up this release. One guy even installed 12.4 from 12.3 and his CCC reports that his Driver Packaging Version, 2D Driver Version, Direct3D Version, OpenGL Version and CCC Version is the exact same as 12.3

I dunno, man. I just want CCC to reflect the current drivers and software or whatever...

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
when you download the 12.4 and press install program load is files then you will see a box install and below uninstall click uninstall that will remove the old driver restart computer and install the 12.4 from files you download on your computer should show you the 12.4

Dude75

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I've tried many time to unistall like this and it doesn't want to unistall files in C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE, even in safe mode.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I had issues with 12.4 as well. Driver sweeper only complicated these issues because now I had to uninstall and reinstall net framework 4.0 (win 7-64)

After that the installation succeeded however CCC reports that I still only have 12.1 installed even though Device Manager reports that I have the correct driver for 12.4 (driver 8.961.0.0)

Meight

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Ouch, that sucks.
But good news! I too have that same driver, 8.961.0.0 and it is displayed under Device Manager > Display Adapters > HD6800 Series > Properties

CCC may still say that I have 11.12 but hey, at least I have the latest driver. Thanks for sharing.

DeraiI

Honorable
May 6, 2012
I have the same problem as you every time CCC wants to update. I found you have to remove your current drivers before updating to the new version (I have no idea why CCC has an auto-updater that doesn't remove the previous version before installing the new version).
This page gives a good guide on completely removing your current drivers and installing the new ones without using any kind of driver sweeper, as they aren't always the safest, most reliable tools.

So, check this page out. It's really easy to understand, and after you've done it once or twice you won't even need to look at the guide to do it anymore.
http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards

Meight

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Thanks for your input. At quick glance, it appears the process of deleting those registry values seem about the same as what I did. It's weird though! Again, CCC says I have 11.12 though my Driver Dates are of recent (4/5/2012).
Hopefully a new version of CCC comes along. When 12.5 or something rolls on out I'll try to update. If it's still giving me the same problem of "installing and updating" but still saying I have an old version, then I'll try out those instructions you linked.
Thanks! Google searching never gave me a link to that OC.net forum post

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Yea, DeraiI definitely thanks for that link. I think I'm going to wait for the next driver update to use it though, since I've already spent far to much time on this issue and at least Device Manager says the newer drivers are installed.

If you do, let us know how it works out.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I decided to give the guide ( http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-properly-uninstall-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards ) a try and this is how it worked out.
To delete some of the files I had to go into safe mode. After I completed all the steps, I disconnected from the internet, went into devise manager and uninstalled my AMD sound and video devices making sure to check the uninstall drivers box. Then I rebooted and repeated the process until there was nothing but the generic windows drivers left.

Now my Catalyst Control Center looks like this
CCC.png

It doesn't even show a spot for the Catalyst Version any more, although at least update reports that I have the latest drivers installed.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

Well, I know everything is up to date but, this is what I see in software update.
CCCsoftwareupdate.png

Strange but, acceptable I guess.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Yep, It's in my signature, 2 X Radeon HD 6870 in CF

Meight

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Wow, thanks for the screenshot.

Even though the ******* thing says I still have "Catalyst Version 11.12", my info matches yours exactly according to scout_03 (thanks scout_03 for providing us with that info). One thing though is IT IS STILL SAYING: "DURRRRR AN UPDATE IS AVAILABLE".

NO THERE ISNT
I just downloaded 12.4 and the INFORMATION SHOWS IT. Ugh, it's so frustrating. Well, at least I still have the latest drivers, I guess. It's "acceptable", like you said I guess.

TRENDING THREADS