• Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Asus
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 1, 2012 7:00:18 PM

So,

I'm looking to build my first pc. I'm going to be using the Asus P8 z77- V Pro mobo, with the Corsair Obsidian 650D case, and a GTX 680. This is where it gets tricky (or not so much so for anyone who knows something about computers). I'd prefer to get an Asus 680, and in the future add a second in SLI. If I get the Asus gtx 680 with CUII cooler, will there be enough space to put them in SLI? Will there be room for SLI and a sound card as well??

Thanks,
John Galt

More about : gtx 680 sli

a c 99 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 1, 2012 7:04:54 PM

since you're considering this. have you heard of the gtx 690 release? first release will be on May 3rd, it's a dual-core GPU and essentially two 680s in one card.
m
l
May 1, 2012 7:09:05 PM

Yea I have. The 690 sounds like a BEAST, but it would be way more than I need right now. In the next few years I'll upgrade to dual monitors, plus an HD TV. By the time I need to SLI, the 680 should be relatively cheap, and I'll add a second.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2012 7:12:13 PM

Pretty sure that mobo has space to put DCUII cards in SLI.

Availability is the big question on this - can you actually find the DCUII 680 in stock at a not-crazy price?

Same deal with the 690... I bet that's sold out within 15 minutes of when it gets listed online.
m
l
a c 99 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 1, 2012 7:16:23 PM

BigMack70 said:
Pretty sure that mobo has space to put DCUII cards in SLI.

Availability is the big question on this - can you actually find the DCUII 680 in stock at a not-crazy price?

Same deal with the 690... I bet that's sold out within 15 minutes of when it gets listed online.

well, Nvidia's binning 680 (already short in supply), to build their 690 (will be even shorter in supply)... I'm starting to feel more and more like GK104 cards will be a short lived legend. although they preform very well, AMD's Sea Islands series are set to release Q3 this year I believe, at which point most of us believe Nvidia will have their GK110 card ready (big maybe?)... and they who knows where producing 680s will be on their list of priorities...

@OP
To answer your question, I agree with BigMack, that board definately has enough space to handle an extra DCUII
m
l
May 2, 2012 3:23:10 PM

Okay awesome guys. Thanks a lot. Like you said, now the only problem is to try and get one. NCIX.ca has them at an awesome price, but there are none in stock. Only hope is to order and hope it doesn't take 8 months to get here.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 2, 2012 7:14:15 PM

I guess there won't be any chance to add the sound card, the DCU II will take 6 expansion slots from your case and cover all the PCIE slots in your MOBO. They will look like these

EDIT: Why don't you look at the MSI Twin Frozers? They got that pretty cooling like the DCU II and use dual expansion slots.
m
l