Change default Start>Run>Browse Location?

When I click Start, Run, Browse, Windows always presents me with "Local Disk"
as the initial Browse location. I normally use Run to install programs which
are loacted in a folder a few levels down in My Documents. This means I have
to constantly browse three or 4 levels down to get to my folder. A shortcut
doesn't work.

Is there any way of customising Windows so it will open a particular folder
when I click Start, Run, Browse?

Thanks,

Alwyn
11 answers Last reply
More about change default start browse location

    Start-Run-Browse?...No
    If you open Windows Explorer, select the folder you want, right click and
    select Send To- Desktop (create shortcut), that doesn't work for you?

    All the best,
    --
    George Aker aka SG
    Google is your friend www.google.com
    "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I click Start, Run, Browse, Windows always presents me with "Local
    Disk"
    > as the initial Browse location. I normally use Run to install programs
    which
    > are loacted in a folder a few levels down in My Documents. This means I
    have
    > to constantly browse three or 4 levels down to get to my folder. A
    shortcut
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > Is there any way of customising Windows so it will open a particular
    folder
    > when I click Start, Run, Browse?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alwyn

    Another option is to add your favorite location to the Places Bar in the
    left. Using TweakUI.

    Tweak UI v2.1 for XP SP1 and above:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I click Start, Run, Browse, Windows always presents me with "Local
    > Disk"
    > as the initial Browse location. I normally use Run to install programs
    > which
    > are loacted in a folder a few levels down in My Documents. This means I
    > have
    > to constantly browse three or 4 levels down to get to my folder. A
    > shortcut
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > Is there any way of customising Windows so it will open a particular
    > folder
    > when I click Start, Run, Browse?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alwyn

    Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
    stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
    program, which apparently is not a good idea.

    Ramseh,
    Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
    have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.

    Thanks!

    Alwyn

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Another option is to add your favorite location to the Places Bar in the
    > left. Using TweakUI.
    >
    > Tweak UI v2.1 for XP SP1 and above:
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When I click Start, Run, Browse, Windows always presents me with "Local
    > > Disk"
    > > as the initial Browse location. I normally use Run to install programs
    > > which
    > > are loacted in a folder a few levels down in My Documents. This means I
    > > have
    > > to constantly browse three or 4 levels down to get to my folder. A
    > > shortcut
    > > doesn't work.
    > >
    > > Is there any way of customising Windows so it will open a particular
    > > folder
    > > when I click Start, Run, Browse?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Alwyn

    "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    | Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
    | stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
    | program, which apparently is not a good idea.
    |
    | Ramseh,
    | Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
    | have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
    |
    | Thanks!
    |
    | Alwyn

    TweakUI
    Common Dialogs
    Places Bar

    Got to the Places Bar, thanks! Only problem now is that it won't take a
    custom place with a name more than the length of the window. All I can get in
    it is "C:\documents and settings\alwyn" when what I'd like is:

    "C:\documents and settings\alwyn\my documents\alwyn\computer. "

    ("My documents\alwyn\computer" doesn't work: "computer" appears but clicking
    doesn't do anything)).

    Is there any way of doing this?

    Thanks once again for your help.

    Cheers, Alwyn

    "a nonymous" wrote:

    > "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > | Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
    > | stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
    > | program, which apparently is not a good idea.
    > |
    > | Ramseh,
    > | Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
    > | have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
    > |
    > | Thanks!
    > |
    > | Alwyn
    >

    > TweakUI
    > Common Dialogs
    > Places Bar

    All,

    Disregard my last. I've got it working. Just what I wanted! Thanks a lot,
    everybody.

    All the best, Alwyn

    "Alwyn" wrote:

    > Got to the Places Bar, thanks! Only problem now is that it won't take a
    > custom place with a name more than the length of the window. All I can get in
    > it is "C:\documents and settings\alwyn" when what I'd like is:
    >
    > "C:\documents and settings\alwyn\my documents\alwyn\computer. "
    >
    > ("My documents\alwyn\computer" doesn't work: "computer" appears but clicking
    > doesn't do anything)).
    >
    > Is there any way of doing this?
    >
    > Thanks once again for your help.
    >
    > Cheers, Alwyn
    >

    > "a nonymous" wrote:
    >

    > > "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > | Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
    > > | stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
    > > | program, which apparently is not a good idea.
    > > |
    > > | Ramseh,
    > > | Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
    > > | have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
    > > |
    > > | Thanks!
    > > |
    > > | Alwyn
    > >

    > > TweakUI
    > > Common Dialogs
    > > Places Bar

    Thanks guys, that worked! Found a minor bug I think: the first custom place
    will only accept text (ie folder path) to fill the window and that's all. It
    ignores any more typing.

    Custom places 2-5 will accept text longer than the window: it just scrolls
    to the right.

    Once again, thanks for the help and all the best,

    Cheers, Alwyn

    "Alwyn" wrote:

    > Got to the Places Bar, thanks! Only problem now is that it won't take a
    > custom place with a name more than the length of the window. All I can get in
    > it is "C:\documents and settings\alwyn" when what I'd like is:
    >
    > "C:\documents and settings\alwyn\my documents\alwyn\computer. "
    >
    > ("My documents\alwyn\computer" doesn't work: "computer" appears but clicking
    > doesn't do anything)).
    >
    > Is there any way of doing this?
    >
    > Thanks once again for your help.
    >
    > Cheers, Alwyn
    >

    > "a nonymous" wrote:
    >

    > > "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > > | Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
    > > | stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
    > > | program, which apparently is not a good idea.
    > > |
    > > | Ramseh,
    > > | Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
    > > | have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
    > > |
    > > | Thanks!
    > > |
    > > | Alwyn
    > >

    > > TweakUI
    > > Common Dialogs
    > > Places Bar

    Hi Alwyn,

    Open Regedit and navigate to this location:

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\Placesbar

    There may be four values in the right-pane, namely

    Place1
    Place2
    Place3
    Place4

    Double-click the correct value and type-in the full path there.

    -or-

    Use the Group Policy Editor to customize places (XP Pro only)
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/placesbar.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Got to the Places Bar, thanks! Only problem now is that it won't take a
    > custom place with a name more than the length of the window. All I can get
    > in
    > it is "C:\documents and settings\alwyn" when what I'd like is:
    >
    > "C:\documents and settings\alwyn\my documents\alwyn\computer. "
    >
    > ("My documents\alwyn\computer" doesn't work: "computer" appears but
    > clicking
    > doesn't do anything)).
    >
    > Is there any way of doing this?
    >
    > Thanks once again for your help.
    >
    > Cheers, Alwyn
    >

    > "a nonymous" wrote:
    >

    >> "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >> | Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it
    >> would
    >> | stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing
    >> the
    >> | program, which apparently is not a good idea.
    >> |
    >> | Ramseh,
    >> | Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch
    >> menu? I
    >> | have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
    >> |
    >> | Thanks!
    >> |
    >> | Alwyn
    >>

    >> TweakUI
    >> Common Dialogs
    >> Places Bar

    Ramesh,
    The system wouldn't let me post (newsgroup error) before you replied! LOL.
    I've taken a note of your Registry setting.

    Thanks a lot for your help and all the best,

    Cheers, Alwyn

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Alwyn,
    >
    > Open Regedit and navigate to this location:
    >
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\Placesbar
    >
    > There may be four values in the right-pane, namely
    >
    > Place1
    > Place2
    > Place3
    > Place4
    >
    > Double-click the correct value and type-in the full path there.
    >
    > -or-
    >
    > Use the Group Policy Editor to customize places (XP Pro only)
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/placesbar.htm
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Got to the Places Bar, thanks! Only problem now is that it won't take a
    > > custom place with a name more than the length of the window. All I can get
    > > in
    > > it is "C:\documents and settings\alwyn" when what I'd like is:
    > >
    > > "C:\documents and settings\alwyn\my documents\alwyn\computer. "
    > >
    > > ("My documents\alwyn\computer" doesn't work: "computer" appears but
    > > clicking
    > > doesn't do anything)).
    > >
    > > Is there any way of doing this?
    > >
    > > Thanks once again for your help.
    > >
    > > Cheers, Alwyn

    > >> would
    > >> the

    > >> menu? I

    > >> TweakUI
    > >> Common Dialogs
    > >> Places Bar

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    You're welcome Alwyn.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Ramesh,
    > The system wouldn't let me post (newsgroup error) before you replied! LOL.
    > I've taken a note of your Registry setting.
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your help and all the best,
    >
    > Cheers, Alwyn

    <snip>
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    | > "a nonymous" wrote:
    | > > TweakUI
    | > > Common Dialogs
    | > > Places Bar

    "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    | Found a minor bug I think: the first custom place
    | will only accept text (ie folder path) to fill the window and that's all. It
    | ignores any more typing.
    |
    | Custom places 2-5 will accept text longer than the window: it just scrolls
    | to the right.
    |
    | Once again, thanks for the help and all the best,
    |
    | Cheers, Alwyn

    Interesting. Pasting a long line of text does not work either.

Configuration Default Customization Windows XP