Change default Start>Run>Browse Location?

Alwyn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004

When I click Start, Run, Browse, Windows always presents me with "Local Disk"
as the initial Browse location. I normally use Run to install programs which
are loacted in a folder a few levels down in My Documents. This means I have
to constantly browse three or 4 levels down to get to my folder. A shortcut
doesn't work.

Is there any way of customising Windows so it will open a particular folder
when I click Start, Run, Browse?

Thanks,

Alwyn

Start-Run-Browse?...No
If you open Windows Explorer, select the folder you want, right click and
select Send To- Desktop (create shortcut), that doesn't work for you?

All the best,
--
George Aker aka SG
Google is your friend www.google.com
"Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click Start, Run, Browse, Windows always presents me with "Local
Disk"
> as the initial Browse location. I normally use Run to install programs
which
> are loacted in a folder a few levels down in My Documents. This means I
have
> to constantly browse three or 4 levels down to get to my folder. A
shortcut
> doesn't work.
>
> Is there any way of customising Windows so it will open a particular
folder
> when I click Start, Run, Browse?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alwyn

Another option is to add your favorite location to the Places Bar in the
left. Using TweakUI.

Tweak UI v2.1 for XP SP1 and above:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I click Start, Run, Browse, Windows always presents me with "Local
> Disk"
> as the initial Browse location. I normally use Run to install programs
> which
> are loacted in a folder a few levels down in My Documents. This means I
> have
> to constantly browse three or 4 levels down to get to my folder. A
> shortcut
> doesn't work.
>
> Is there any way of customising Windows so it will open a particular
> folder
> when I click Start, Run, Browse?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alwyn

Alwyn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004

Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
program, which apparently is not a good idea.

Ramseh,
Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.

Thanks!

Alwyn

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Another option is to add your favorite location to the Places Bar in the
> left. Using TweakUI.
>
> Tweak UI v2.1 for XP SP1 and above:
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I click Start, Run, Browse, Windows always presents me with "Local
> > Disk"
> > as the initial Browse location. I normally use Run to install programs
> > which
> > are loacted in a folder a few levels down in My Documents. This means I
> > have
> > to constantly browse three or 4 levels down to get to my folder. A
> > shortcut
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > Is there any way of customising Windows so it will open a particular
> > folder
> > when I click Start, Run, Browse?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Alwyn

"Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
| stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
| program, which apparently is not a good idea.
|
| Ramseh,
| Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
| have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
|
| Thanks!
|
| Alwyn

TweakUI
Common Dialogs
Places Bar

Alwyn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004

Got to the Places Bar, thanks! Only problem now is that it won't take a
custom place with a name more than the length of the window. All I can get in
it is "C:\documents and settings\alwyn" when what I'd like is:

"C:\documents and settings\alwyn\my documents\alwyn\computer. "

("My documents\alwyn\computer" doesn't work: "computer" appears but clicking
doesn't do anything)).

Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks once again for your help.

Cheers, Alwyn

"a nonymous" wrote:

> "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> | Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
> | stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
> | program, which apparently is not a good idea.
> |
> | Ramseh,
> | Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
> | have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
> |
> | Thanks!
> |
> | Alwyn
>

> TweakUI
> Common Dialogs
> Places Bar

Alwyn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004

All,

Disregard my last. I've got it working. Just what I wanted! Thanks a lot,
everybody.

All the best, Alwyn

"Alwyn" wrote:

> Got to the Places Bar, thanks! Only problem now is that it won't take a
> custom place with a name more than the length of the window. All I can get in
> it is "C:\documents and settings\alwyn" when what I'd like is:
>
> "C:\documents and settings\alwyn\my documents\alwyn\computer. "
>
> ("My documents\alwyn\computer" doesn't work: "computer" appears but clicking
> doesn't do anything)).
>
> Is there any way of doing this?
>
> Thanks once again for your help.
>
> Cheers, Alwyn
>

> "a nonymous" wrote:
>

> > "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > | Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
> > | stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
> > | program, which apparently is not a good idea.
> > |
> > | Ramseh,
> > | Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
> > | have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
> > |
> > | Thanks!
> > |
> > | Alwyn
> >

> > TweakUI
> > Common Dialogs
> > Places Bar

Alwyn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004

Thanks guys, that worked! Found a minor bug I think: the first custom place
will only accept text (ie folder path) to fill the window and that's all. It
ignores any more typing.

Custom places 2-5 will accept text longer than the window: it just scrolls
to the right.

Once again, thanks for the help and all the best,

Cheers, Alwyn

"Alwyn" wrote:

> Got to the Places Bar, thanks! Only problem now is that it won't take a
> custom place with a name more than the length of the window. All I can get in
> it is "C:\documents and settings\alwyn" when what I'd like is:
>
> "C:\documents and settings\alwyn\my documents\alwyn\computer. "
>
> ("My documents\alwyn\computer" doesn't work: "computer" appears but clicking
> doesn't do anything)).
>
> Is there any way of doing this?
>
> Thanks once again for your help.
>
> Cheers, Alwyn
>

> "a nonymous" wrote:
>

> > "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > | Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it would
> > | stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing the
> > | program, which apparently is not a good idea.
> > |
> > | Ramseh,
> > | Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch menu? I
> > | have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
> > |
> > | Thanks!
> > |
> > | Alwyn
> >

> > TweakUI
> > Common Dialogs
> > Places Bar

Hi Alwyn,

Open Regedit and navigate to this location:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\Placesbar

There may be four values in the right-pane, namely

Place1
Place2
Place3
Place4

Double-click the correct value and type-in the full path there.

-or-

Use the Group Policy Editor to customize places (XP Pro only)
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/placesbar.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Got to the Places Bar, thanks! Only problem now is that it won't take a
> custom place with a name more than the length of the window. All I can get
> in
> it is "C:\documents and settings\alwyn" when what I'd like is:
>
> "C:\documents and settings\alwyn\my documents\alwyn\computer. "
>
> ("My documents\alwyn\computer" doesn't work: "computer" appears but
> clicking
> doesn't do anything)).
>
> Is there any way of doing this?
>
> Thanks once again for your help.
>
> Cheers, Alwyn
>

> "a nonymous" wrote:
>

>> "Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> | Thanks guys. I was trying to avoid using an Explorer window because it
>> would
>> | stay open, and therefore have Explorer running, while I was installing
>> the
>> | program, which apparently is not a good idea.
>> |
>> | Ramseh,
>> | Where is this Places Bar? Is it the Start Menu or the Quick Launch
>> menu? I
>> | have Powertoys installed but can't find the Places Bar.
>> |
>> | Thanks!
>> |
>> | Alwyn
>>

>> TweakUI
>> Common Dialogs
>> Places Bar

Alwyn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2004

Ramesh,
The system wouldn't let me post (newsgroup error) before you replied! LOL.
I've taken a note of your Registry setting.

Thanks a lot for your help and all the best,

Cheers, Alwyn

You're welcome Alwyn.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ramesh,
> The system wouldn't let me post (newsgroup error) before you replied! LOL.
> I've taken a note of your Registry setting.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and all the best,
>
> Cheers, Alwyn

<snip>

| > "a nonymous" wrote:
| > > TweakUI
| > > Common Dialogs
| > > Places Bar

"Alwyn" <Alwyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
| Found a minor bug I think: the first custom place
| will only accept text (ie folder path) to fill the window and that's all. It
| ignores any more typing.
|
| Custom places 2-5 will accept text longer than the window: it just scrolls
| to the right.
|
| Once again, thanks for the help and all the best,
|
| Cheers, Alwyn

Interesting. Pasting a long line of text does not work either.