Olympus C Series ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 2, 2005 10:39:11 AM

Does anyone have an opinion about their favorite camera in this series?
I've been looking at these because the cameras have both automatic and
manual settings and they've got good reviews. The ones I've looked at
are in the $300 range - C-60, C-5500, C-770. These are all listed as
"current" on the Olympus site and I've not looked in depth at some of
the older generations. Any ideas or thoughts about these or other
Olympus auto/manual appreciated. While the ones I mentioned all seems
good, each has drawbacks as well. I would like to hear opinions.

More about : olympus series

August 2, 2005 2:11:48 PM

"Peconic" <foundpoem@gmail.com> wrote in

> Does anyone have an opinion about their favorite camera in this
> series? I've been looking at these because the cameras have both
> automatic and manual settings and they've got good reviews. The
> ones I've looked at are in the $300 range - C-60, C-5500, C-770.
> These are all listed as "current" on the Olympus site and I've
> not looked in depth at some of the older generations. Any ideas
> or thoughts about these or other Olympus auto/manual
> appreciated. While the ones I mentioned all seems good, each has
> drawbacks as well. I would like to hear opinions.

I have the C-7070 and have really enjoyed it so far? It is selling
for around $350 now.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 5:22:20 PM

I bought the C-700 back in 2001 'cause it was one of the few 10x
optical zoom cameras on the market at the time. I *still* enjoy the
extra zoom, but the autofocus is sluggish, which annoys me. 4 years
later I'm back on the market, and will be hunting for another camera,
but dunno if I'll get the upgraded olympus C series, or switch brands
completely.
Related resources
August 2, 2005 6:02:33 PM

Peconic wrote:
> Does anyone have an opinion about their favorite camera in this series?
> I've been looking at these because the cameras have both automatic and
> manual settings and they've got good reviews. The ones I've looked at
> are in the $300 range - C-60, C-5500, C-770. These are all listed as
> "current" on the Olympus site and I've not looked in depth at some of
> the older generations. Any ideas or thoughts about these or other
> Olympus auto/manual appreciated. While the ones I mentioned all seems
> good, each has drawbacks as well. I would like to hear opinions.

I own an Olympus C-5060 and I like it - it produces beautiful sharp
images. I'd recommend the C-7070 instead, though; it's an upgraded
version running US$360 ($200 less than I paid for my C-5060....). So
far the reviews are positive and no serious problems with failures have
been reported, AFAIK. Built like a brick and ugly, but highly
functional. It needs an external flash to get the best images indoors,
especially if you're trying to catch children.

I have tried a C-5500 briefly (a couple of hours) and I liked it; the
reviews are ok and there haven't been any complaints on the forums at
DP Review. The pics I've seen have been good to excellent. The C-770 I
haven't tried but again, no real complaints from users on the forums;
really nice pics. The C-60 I haven't heard anything at all about.

I think that you'll find that most cameras have drawbacks.... it's up
to you to decide which can you live with. Check out the Fuji F10 and
the Panasonic FZ-5 to see if they fit your requirements better; they
have a lot of things in common with the cameras you mentioned, but are
better performers in certain ways - overall image quality under ideal
conditions will be better with the Olys, but none of Olympus' current
offerings are image stabilized super-zooms or go up to ISO 1600.....

ECM
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 7:26:18 PM

Thank you all for your responses; it's great to hear details from
people who use them. I will look at the two other brands mentioned
above as well, but regarding the Olympus -- has anyone found
camera-shake to be a large problem? And what about the aperture/zoom
"match-up"? I've read comments that seem to indicate aperture problems
when zooming in close. Do those of you who use this series override
this with manual aperture settings, or have you not found this to be a
problem, even on auto? I used macro a lot with my last camera, so
close-up focus is important to me.

And, how slow is slow? A few of you mentioned that.

Yes, agreed, all have drawbacks, which is why it's been daunting
reading about and comparing so many; it's certain trade-offs that make
the decision difficult. Like the C-60 looks great, but its macro
ability seems too limited for me (am I reading the specs incorrectly or
does it really not focus at closer than 12" or something like that?)

Last question: Do you prefer cameras that take AA batteries or, like
many of these, use specific-to-their-own only?

Again, thank you, and any more comments welcome. I can't wait to get a
new camera...
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:52:02 AM

"Peconic" <foundpoem@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have an opinion about their favorite camera in this
> series?
> I've been looking at these because the cameras have both automatic and
> manual settings and they've got good reviews. The ones I've looked at
> are in the $300 range - C-60, C-5500, C-770. These are all listed as
> "current" on the Olympus site and I've not looked in depth at some of
> the older generations. Any ideas or thoughts about these or other
> Olympus auto/manual appreciated. While the ones I mentioned all seems
> good, each has drawbacks as well. I would like to hear opinions.

Funny you should ask......just today I sent Olympus my C-50 for repairs.
I bought it for $460 at Sam's back in Oct. 2003--it's not even 2 yrs.
old. ;-( The lens won't come out and I think I see a worn spot in
the metal on the underneath. Anyhoo, I love that camera and it will be
worth it to repair it. In the meantime, I went and bought a Nikon 4800.
Still debating about that one.

Btw, I think the C-50 is rather slow but I do like the finished
products. The Nikon takes mucho better up close and personal photos
tho.

AnnE in MN who will let you know what happens with Olympus.
Good luck with your choice
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:52:21 AM

"Peconic" <foundpoem@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone have an opinion about their favorite camera in this series?
> I've been looking at these because the cameras have both automatic and
> manual settings and they've got good reviews. The ones I've looked at
> are in the $300 range - C-60, C-5500, C-770. These are all listed as
> "current" on the Olympus site and I've not looked in depth at some of
> the older generations. Any ideas or thoughts about these or other
> Olympus auto/manual appreciated. While the ones I mentioned all seems
> good, each has drawbacks as well. I would like to hear opinions.

I don't know, I tend to think the C-2100UZ had the best balance of features,
though it hasn't been a current model for 3 years or so.

Every camera has a tradeoff. It is a matter of what you can afford, and what
you are willing to put up with.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

On 02 Aug 2005 23:52:21 -0400, in rec.photo.digital RE: Re: Olympus C
Series ? Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote:

>"Peconic" <foundpoem@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Does anyone have an opinion about their favorite camera in this series?
>> I've been looking at these because the cameras have both automatic and
>> manual settings and they've got good reviews. The ones I've looked at
>> are in the $300 range - C-60, C-5500, C-770. These are all listed as
>> "current" on the Olympus site and I've not looked in depth at some of
>> the older generations. Any ideas or thoughts about these or other
>> Olympus auto/manual appreciated. While the ones I mentioned all seems
>> good, each has drawbacks as well. I would like to hear opinions.
>
>I don't know, I tend to think the C-2100UZ had the best balance of features,
>though it hasn't been a current model for 3 years or so.

Yeah, I still use my 2100uz daily. It's a great camera.

August 3, 2005 10:55:21 AM

Peconic wrote:
> Thank you all for your responses; it's great to hear details from
> people who use them. I will look at the two other brands mentioned
> above as well, but regarding the Olympus -- has anyone found
> camera-shake to be a large problem?

Always. And with any camera, high ISO film or not. The issue is shutter
speed - I've found that with my C-5060, anything below 1/20 second
absolutely needs a good tripod. There's always a shot that isn't lit as
well as you need, or that requires a small aperture, or whatever; a
tripod is usually the solution.

Image stabilization will help a lot with slower shutter speeds but it
has limits - it just stretches the hand-holdable shutter speed one or
two stops. I regularly take 1/2-1/6 second exposures - so I'd still
need the tripod, IS or not. Higher useable ISO's would allow shorter
shutter speeds for a given lighting, which is why I'm so interested in
the Fuji F10's technology. It's not quite "there" yet, but if I was in
the market for a pocketable point-n-shoot, I'd put the F10 at the top
of the list.

Combine a low-noise, good dynamic range, good color fidelity ISO
800-1600 with a really good IS lens, in a smaller-than-SLR package, and
I'm there with my money in hand.... and I'd prefer it in the 5-6 mpixel
range; I've never missed 8 mpixels.

> And what about the aperture/zoom
> "match-up"? I've read comments that seem to indicate aperture problems
> when zooming in close. Do those of you who use this series override
> this with manual aperture settings, or have you not found this to be a
> problem, even on auto? I used macro a lot with my last camera, so
> close-up focus is important to me.

Macro is awesome on the C-5060/7070 cameras; autofocus is tough in
"super-macro" mode but manual focus is so easy you dont't use AF. I
can't comment on any others, never tried them.

> And, how slow is slow? A few of you mentioned that.

Well, there's a lot of different types of "slow". Slow to focus, long
shutter lag, slow to clear the buffer (write the picture to the card so
you can take another pic), slow to turn on/off.

According to the reviews, the Fuji F10 and Panasonic FZ-5 are
apparently much faster than average to focus and have very short
shutter lag; write times are decent but not special. They both have
special "high-speed" modes that impressed reviewers. The Oly C-7070 is
also faster than average, the C-5060 is about average. The others
you're looking at I don't know; you'll have to check the reviews.

It's all subjective, however; nothing's as fast as film cameras yet.
You should actually handle the camera you want to buy so you can judge
for yourself. Even the F10 with it's 1/3 second shutter lag will miss
the moment occasionally.

> Yes, agreed, all have drawbacks, which is why it's been daunting
> reading about and comparing so many; it's certain trade-offs that make
> the decision difficult. Like the C-60 looks great, but its macro
> ability seems too limited for me (am I reading the specs incorrectly or
> does it really not focus at closer than 12" or something like that?)
>
> Last question: Do you prefer cameras that take AA batteries or, like
> many of these, use specific-to-their-own only?

To me it's a wash; I've never missed AA's but I've never been
backpacking in the remote Himalayas, either. I can get replacement
LiIon batteries for $16, a little more than 4 good 2500mAh NiMH AA's;
LiIon is lighter and they don't self-discharge in a month.

> Again, thank you, and any more comments welcome. I can't wait to get a
> new camera...

Good Luck!
ECM
!