Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD vs Intel for Gaming rig ??

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 27, 2010 1:23:20 AM

hello,



As im sure im not the only one who asks this but i would like to gain some ideas from everyone out there on which would be the best to buy for online gaming and maybe some other games.



Right now i would like to know what everyone thinks as far as what CPU would be best? Intel i7 960? AMD Phenom II x4 965 ?


As far as the MB i would also be open to ideas on which would be the best. I'm also not sure what to do on the video card yet... do a SLI? or just have 1 at 1gb or more? Any help would be great everyone.





Thanks,

More about : amd intel gaming rig

April 27, 2010 1:38:19 AM

Both would be fine, even an PII X4 945 would do. As long as the CPU doesn't bottleneck the GPU your golden.

Choose a GPU based on the resolution of your monitor and then the amount of eye candy you want.
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 1:40:35 AM

i7 960 is far more expensive and overkill for gaming.

The i7 960 is better than the i7 920, and i7 920 is better than the PIIx4 965, and even the i7 920 is more than what you need for just gaming.

A PIIx4 945 or 955 will do fine, or for something a bit more expensive and better i5-750 or i7-860.

Go the PII route if you want to save money, go the i5/i7 route if you have a huge budget.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 27, 2010 1:45:52 AM

For gaming, the i5 750 or Phenom II X4 955BE are the best. Pair it with an HD5850 and at least an 1920x1080 monitor to go with it and you will get the best gaming experience at best performance/price ratio.

I personally will go for the Phenom II X4 955BE.
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 2:06:24 AM

thanks for all the comments !


Right now im looking to spend around 2500$ That being said what would you guys recommend a solid CPU/MB/GPU set up?



I'm lost on which MB would be the best fit.... 2 GPUs sound nice but are those really overkill? DDR3 1600 overkill also?





Many thanks everyone!
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 3:15:13 AM

here is what im looking at building right now.. what yea think?



Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5 750 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [SOCKET-1156] )
Memory ( 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 - 1.2GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards) )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Motherboard ( [SLI] ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe w/ 10-ch HD Audio, 2x Gb LAN )
Motherboard Add-on ( None )
Power Supply ( 1000 Watt -- CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000W Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready )
Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2010 3:25:47 AM

doogie182 said:
thanks for all the comments !


Right now im looking to spend around 2500$ That being said what would you guys recommend a solid CPU/MB/GPU set up?



I'm lost on which MB would be the best fit.... 2 GPUs sound nice but are those really overkill? DDR3 1600 overkill also?





Many thanks everyone!

2.5K is a huge budget.

Overkill depends on a few things:
1. how long do you intend to keep this build without changing it?
2. what games do you intend to play now and in the foreseeable future?

memory should be your last concern as it provides the least performance gain/ $ spent.

My advice is not to go crossfire unless you intend to spend more than $500 on graphics cards.

Thuban comes out soon (amd Phenom IIx6 3.2GHz BE) I think like, tomorrow. be around $300 and looks like a good build to me. If it were my money, I would would go with:
Phenom IIx6 3.2GHz
xfx radeon 5870 (best price/performance is always a single card and the single card next year will likely be as good as a dual card today)(with intent to upgrade it in two years)
2x2GB of DDR3 mushkin memory (with intent to upgrade to 8GB in two years)
asus 8xx chipset motherboard with usb 3.0
corsair 850W power supply

To get an idea, I am a gamer who also uses his computer for other tasks. I play most if not all games that seem interesting including COD6, crysis, cryostasis etc. I enjoy demanding games with good graphics.

That's just a general idea of what I would do. SSDs are not worth it yet in my opinion and there will be better ones in the future.
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 3:40:09 AM

doogie182 said:
here is what im looking at building right now.. what yea think?



Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5 750 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [SOCKET-1156] )
Memory ( 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 - 1.2GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards) )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Motherboard ( [SLI] ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe w/ 10-ch HD Audio, 2x Gb LAN )
Motherboard Add-on ( None )
Power Supply ( 1000 Watt -- CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000W Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready )
Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )



Personally I think you should go with 1 GTX 480 or a Radeon HD 5970, It's always safer to go with one card, plus you will be set for a long time with either of those cards.

8 GB of RAM is overkill 6 would be more reasonable but do as you wish, and I'm a bit sketchy on how the i5 will handle two 470's, hopefully you just get one card as I suggested.

Also I don't recommend buying the new 6 core thuban if your gonna build soon, I'd wait awhile for people to test it out, and see how it performs.

Good luck with your build, also you don't need that cpu cooler, this will get the job done very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
0
l
April 27, 2010 3:43:15 AM

Thanks for your ideas!


1. I would like to keep this for 3 years if not longer

2. I play the same games as you but plan on playing FF14 if it comes out this year. I like to play all around games really Online games are nice as well as AOE.



so my setup listed above with dual GPUs not go good eh? x1 card is better?



again thanks for everyones input.
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 3:46:15 AM

Liquid CPU Cooling? Not a good idea? sounds cool :) 


I'm still trying to see if it is any better then normal fan ones...
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 3:50:12 AM

doogie182 said:

so my setup listed above with dual GPUs not go good eh? x1 card is better?


Well if you had 2560 x 1600 resolution monitor and playing something like crysis wouldn't be overkill, although for anything else, 1 card just fine.
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 3:51:55 AM

doogie182 said:
Liquid CPU Cooling? Not a good idea? sounds cool :) 


I'm still trying to see if it is any better then normal fan ones...



The set up with your graphics card is very good yes, but it's a better idea to get just one card now, and then leave the option open for upgrading in a couple years. Plus the GTX 480 and the Radeon 5970 are the 2 best graphics cards available, and are way overkill for the games of today.

And sure that liquid cooler sounds "cool" but it's unnecessary as I'm assuming you won't be overclocking much buying a pre-built computer.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2010 7:30:10 AM

Based on recent reviews, I'd stick with the Phenom IIx4 965 for gaming.
I agree liquid cooling is unnecessary and expensive.

Do you have any problems with upgrading your computer in the future?
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 8:44:28 AM

the cpu is not to much of a problem like meny before me has sad my amd 965be runns a 3,9ghz and at GTA IV one of the most cpu eating games it can only go to 75-80% before getting limited by my 295-coop grapichs running 681ghz so its better to go fo a okey quad and a little more expensive grapics
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 9:08:51 AM

I don't think there is to much difference between amd and intel , if you go to quality / price , you should chose amd , couse it's cheaper then intel and doing the job you want :) 
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 9:13:47 AM

doogie182 said:
thanks for all the comments !


Right now im looking to spend around 2500$ That being said what would you guys recommend a solid CPU/MB/GPU set up?

I'm lost on which MB would be the best fit.... 2 GPUs sound nice but are those really overkill? DDR3 1600 overkill also?

Many thanks everyone!

At $2500, I believe a better & totally immersive gaming experience will be gained by going at least 3-Monitor 1920x1080 Eyefinity and having a good 5.1 or 7.1 Audio System.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2010 5:22:49 PM

depends on the budget, my is not that big so i have an amd 955 running at 3.5 ghz with a radeon 5850 all running on an am2+ mobo with 4gb ddr2.

but if i had the money i would go for an intel chip and an ati graphics card, you have only got to look at the cpu benchmarks to see that intel chips are faster than the amd ones, but that said both are good at what they do just depends on how much cash your willing to spend if you have a tight budget i would go for an amd 965 and spend the savings on a decent gfx card
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
April 27, 2010 5:25:23 PM

for 2500$ you could probably get an intel i7 960 with a radeon 5870 which would eat all games in existance at the moment
m
0
l
April 27, 2010 9:49:12 PM

doogie182 said:
here is what im looking at building right now.. what yea think?



Processor ( Intel® Core™ i5 750 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )
Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [SOCKET-1156] )
Memory ( 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 - 1.2GB - SLI Mode (Dual Cards) )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )
Motherboard ( [SLI] ASUS P7P55D-E Deluxe w/ 10-ch HD Audio, 2x Gb LAN )
Motherboard Add-on ( None )
Power Supply ( 1000 Watt -- CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000W Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready )
Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )






also if u plan on getting an nvidia 400 series, reviews suggest they're noisy as F*** see if u can get liquid cooling
m
0
l
April 28, 2010 3:20:15 AM

Sweet. many thanks to everyone for all your ideas! If i can come up with anything else i will for sure let everyone know. Again thanks!
m
0
l
June 24, 2012 11:49:46 AM

enzo matrix said:
2.5K is a huge budget.

Overkill depends on a few things:
1. how long do you intend to keep this build without changing it?
2. what games do you intend to play now and in the foreseeable future?

memory should be your last concern as it provides the least performance gain/ $ spent.

My advice is not to go crossfire unless you intend to spend more than $500 on graphics cards.

Thuban comes out soon (amd Phenom IIx6 3.2GHz BE) I think like, tomorrow. be around $300 and looks like a good build to me. If it were my money, I would would go with:
Phenom IIx6 3.2GHz
xfx radeon 5870 (best price/performance is always a single card and the single card next year will likely be as good as a dual card today)(with intent to upgrade it in two years)
2x2GB of DDR3 mushkin memory (with intent to upgrade to 8GB in two years)
asus 8xx chipset motherboard with usb 3.0
corsair 850W power supply

To get an idea, I am a gamer who also uses his computer for other tasks. I play most if not all games that seem interesting including COD6, crysis, cryostasis etc. I enjoy demanding games with good graphics.

That's just a general idea of what I would do. SSDs are not worth it yet in my opinion and there will be better ones in the future.


all of the answers I have read are good and I was wondering what makes a real difference in the gaming experience gpu or cpu or both combined and with all the choices these days intel vs amd. I am looking at bumping up my system with the amd fx-6120 6 core 3.6GHz with a Radeon HD 7570 2GB gpu and 1 TB HDD to just game on and would like your idea on this as to gaming usage for the next yr or so...thanks
m
0
l
June 24, 2012 3:24:33 PM

As u gave a big budget, you just need to focus on the graphics. So choose a GTX 600 series and don't focus on others. For example you take a GTX690, you still have $1500 to spend on others.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 12:46:54 PM

tazmo8448 said:
all of the answers I have read are good and I was wondering what makes a real difference in the gaming experience gpu or cpu or both combined and with all the choices these days intel vs amd. I am looking at bumping up my system with the amd fx-6120 6 core 3.6GHz with a Radeon HD 7570 2GB gpu and 1 TB HDD to just game on and would like your idea on this as to gaming usage for the next yr or so...thanks



Well, it varies on the game on whether cpu is a better choice or gpu does.

While im not as up to date on the latest games like i used to, i can still give examples of the past by what I mean,

games limited by the cpu: Civilization 5 and Microsoft Flight simulator X

Games limited by the GPU: The notorious Crysis 1, and Oblivion (the game before Skyrim)


Now, most games are gpu bound so you'll probably have to up the gpu once newer games come around.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 25, 2012 9:48:55 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
!