Power supply problem

m12parky

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Hey guys first time here and I hope to find some solutions.

I'm working with an Acer Veriton M4610G and I believe the problem is the power supply. Soon as I hit the power button the desktop lights up for a second and turns off immediately. I'm not sure what is causing as this is a brand new desktop. What should I check or look at in the power supply? Or am I better off just looking for a new power supply?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I would make sure you aren't entitled to warranty repairs first.

However, I would suspect either the PSU is defective, or there is a short somewhere that is causing a shutdown to prevent damage. Try unplugging HDDs, DVD drives, video card (if you've got integrated as well), and any case fans. Then visually inspect the motherboard, shake the case around gently, ensure there isn't anything rattling around that could be shorting out somewhere.

flexxar

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
If this is a pre-built system, I think the warranty should cover it. If not, I would replace the power supply first. You do not want to open a power supply up to work on it. It's dangerous and could cause a fire or fry other components if you don't put it back together correctly. There is the possibility that it is a motherboard problem or chip overheating as well, but the power supply is most likely the problem.

abCasPeRR

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

It sounds like just a defective PSU. I would take the computer back if its still under warranty. Or if not buy a new one and see if thats the problem.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Again, it's possible that there is a short in a fan/hdd/optical drive. However it probably is the power supply, but it is even more probably not really your problem, if you have a warranty; no sense voiding your warranty to fix their screw up.