Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Special benefits for Ivy Bridge MSI Z77A-GD65 features?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • MSI
  • New Build
Last response: in CPUs
October 31, 2012 6:41:16 PM

I am just about to order my my parts for my new build and was told by my friend that I wont be able to use all the features this board (MSI Z77A-GD65) has to offer because of the use of a non third gen intel processor (i5-2500k) is this true..............Is it a big deal?

More about : special benefits ivy bridge msi z77a gd65 features

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 6:51:12 PM

pci express slot will only work in gen 2 mode not gen 3 with a sandy chip and the memory controller is 1333 with sandy but you can have ram running at 1600 if you turn xmp profile on in bios
a c 199 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 6:57:44 PM

xbob627 said:
I am just about to order my my parts for my new build and was told by my friend that I wont be able to use all the features this board (MSI Z77A-GD65) has to offer because of the use of a non third gen intel processor (i5-2500k) is this true..............Is it a big deal?

there are two main overclocking chipset for the ib and sb family of cpu. the x68 and z77. the older x68 has a 3 party usb 3.0 and sata chipset on the mb and only has pci 2.0 supprt. the newer z77 intel put the usb and sata 6g into the mb chipset. with a ib cpu you can get pci 3.0 speed with the newer video cards. most new video cards still cant max out the pci 2.0 bus. my self i would use a ib cpu it going to run cooler stock and give you 10 percent speed boost without over clocking. the down side is the ib dont over clock well they get very hot fast.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 6:58:02 PM

Your friend is current. Some of the features offered on Z77 will not be available to you if you're going to use a Sandy Bridge CPU.

Some examples would be LucidVirtuMVP (Though the normal LucidVirtu is available) along with PCI-E 3.0. There are a few others that I can remember but I can't remember the exact name for the life of me.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 6:58:21 PM

smorizio said:
there are two main overclocking chipset for the ib and sb family of cpu. the x68 and z77. the older x68 has a 3 party usb 3.0 and sata chipset on the mb and only has pci 2.0 supprt. the newer z77 intel put the usb and sata 6g into the mb chipset. with a ib cpu you can get pci 3.0 speed with the newer video cards. most new video cards still cant max out the pci 2.0 bus. my self i would use a ib cpu it going to run cooler stock and give you 10 percent speed boost without over clocking. the down side is the ib dont over clock well they get very hot fast.

Ivy i5's are great overclockers. It's the i7's that don't overclock as well most of the time. There are plenty of people with Ivy i7's that have gotten lucky :lol: 
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 7:06:18 PM

Using a Sandy Bridge CPU will mean the PCI-e 3.0 slot will be working in PCI-e 2.0 mode.

Not a big deal since it will probably take about 2 years before high end ($500+) graphic cards will begin to be limited by PCI-e 2.0 slots. It will probably be another 2 years after that when a moderately price ($250) graphic card will be limited by PCI-e 2.0.
m
l
October 31, 2012 7:09:58 PM

jaguarskx said:
Using a Sandy Bridge CPU will mean the PCI-e 3.0 slot will be working in PCI-e 2.0 mode.

Not a big deal since it will probably take about 2 years before high end ($500+) graphic cards will begin to be limited by PCI-e 2.0 slots. It will probably be another 2 years after that when a moderately price ($250) graphic card will be limited by PCI-e 2.0.

Wgat about the sata 3 speed on the board....will that be affected?
m
l
October 31, 2012 7:35:50 PM

Best answer selected by Xbob627.
m
l
!