Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is my cpu running hot?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 31, 2012 7:47:06 PM

guys, my cpu idle temps are around 20 degrees higher than room temp.
it is 50 when room temp is 30, 48 when room temp is 28 etc.
i am using pentium dual core 2nd generation sandy bridge cpu.
should i be concerned?

More about : cpu running hot

a c 190 à CPUs
October 31, 2012 8:02:33 PM

Are you saying that your processor at idle is running at around 50c? or is that under load?

Do me a favor and run HWMonitor and let us know what temperatures you are seeing. Also are you running the stock Intel® HSF (heatsink/fan)? If so do me a favor and reach in and grab each of the twist clips and pull it straight up. If you are able to pull any of them up than the HSF wasn't seated well and you are going to want to reseat it including putting new thermal paste on it.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 8:06:42 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
Are you saying that your processor at idle is running at around 50c? or is that under load?

Do me a favor and run HWMonitor and let us know what temperatures you are seeing. Also are you running the stock Intel® HSF (heatsink/fan)? If so do me a favor and reach in and grab each of the twist clips and pull it straight up. If you are able to pull any of them up than the HSF wasn't seated well and you are going to want to reseat it including putting new thermal paste on it.

it is a brand new laptop, load is 0-5%.
i have checked and rechecked using HWmonitor, CoreTemp but all show same temperature.
i cannot open the laptop as it is under warranty. also the fan is stock.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 8:35:16 PM

eternal_sinner said:
it is a brand new laptop, load is 0-5%.
i have checked and rechecked using HWmonitor, CoreTemp but all show same temperature.
i cannot open the laptop as it is under warranty. also the fan is stock.


Hi the temperatures are quite high for idle but then again you claimed it was a laptop, my HP DV6 laptop idles at around 55 degrees and loads temps are around 70-80. Despite the temperatures the laptop has been running almost 24/7 for 3 years and it still is going strong. I noticed however if you do get a laptop cooling pad it helps lower temperatures. Blocking off the vents of the laptop also cause it to overheat.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 8:40:01 PM

socialfox said:
Hi the temperatures are quite high for idle but then again you claimed it was a laptop, my HP DV6 laptop idles at around 55 degrees and loads temps are around 70-80. Despite the temperatures the laptop has been running almost 24/7 for 3 years and it still is going strong. I noticed however if you do get a laptop cooling pad it helps lower temperatures. Blocking off the vents of the laptop also cause it to overheat.

hi, it is a B960 processor, TJ Max 85 degrees. my laptop too runs at 70-80 under full load during gaming.
laptop is placed on a cool table, air is passing without any obstruction, also even under full load whole laptop remains very cool, be it top or bottom with only throwing out hot air from vent. it is using asus's ice cool technology.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 8:50:43 PM

You are still under the maximum temperature so your safe...for now. I would usually take apart my laptops and clean out the dust. Since you still need your warranty I want you to try and use a compressed air can to clean out the dust by blowing it in the intake vents and maybe a vacuum machine (portable one) not touching the laptop but a few mm away to suck air away. Not sure of the effectiveness of this method since the best way is to open your laptop and clean it out. I assume you have got dust buildup in your laptop, have your fans been getting noisier compared to when you first bought it?

m
0
l
October 31, 2012 8:57:24 PM

socialfox said:
You are still under the maximum temperature so your safe...for now. I would usually take apart my laptops and clean out the dust. Since you still need your warranty I want you to try and use a compressed air can to clean out the dust by blowing it in the intake vents and maybe a vacuum machine (portable one) not touching the laptop but a few mm away to suck air away. Not sure of the effectiveness of this method since the best way is to open your laptop and clean it out. I assume you have got dust buildup in your laptop, have your fans been getting noisier compared to when you first bought it?

the laptop is just a month old, temperatures are 50 since beginning. fan is quiet (seems to spin at normal speed) but turns fast under full load. there is no noise in fan except related to speed.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 9:05:17 PM

Is the environment you use the laptop a clean one, without too much dust? Either way you laptop works fine, it may be even more beneficial by buying a laptop cooling pad, it blows air into the vents which will keep it much cooler. Like I mentioned earlier laptops normally run hot since they are tightly packed.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 9:11:40 PM

yes the environment is dust free.
laptop is working fine too.
should i get it replaced or cooling pad will do the trick.
it still has warranty, so i can get it replaced if needed. i would like it to run for few years atleast, then i will upgrade its processor to an i5.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 9:13:54 PM

I am sure they wont replace the laptop since it is operating within the acceptable temperature range, what is your room/ambient temperature? A good laptop cooling pad will suffice.
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 9:20:50 PM

room temp is 28 degree celcius.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 9:23:49 PM

28 degrees!? Are you sweating by any chance? Is it summer right now for you? Then I believe your temperatures are fine if its 28 degrees, that really hot! You sure that is the correct temperature?
m
0
l
October 31, 2012 9:29:06 PM

lol, im not sweating 28 is cool temperature here, i live in a tropic country. the air conditioner keeps us cool, though winter is approaching.
summer temperature rises to even 48 degrees outside.

so you think my temperatures are well within range?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 31, 2012 11:20:25 PM

Yes if the ROOM temperature is 28 degrees your temperatures are ok, I have no idea how you don 't break a sweat with 28, I mean 21-22 is when I start sweating :p 
Share
November 1, 2012 5:57:21 AM

Best answer selected by eternal_sinner.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2012 5:53:13 PM

I think that may be spam, I have seen his reply in a lot of posts and all of them are the same.
m
0
l
!