Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Build ever, should i change something? Gaming/Render

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 25, 2012 11:52:06 PM

XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W Power Supply

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 GeForce GTX 680 02G-P4-2687-KR Video Card

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

This computer is made for gaming/recording games/Video editing/rendering.
First time making a comp and want something im not going to regret
Is there anything you would change?
June 26, 2012 12:13:53 AM

unless you plan to sli, an 850w psu is very excessive. a 750w could already probably handle 2. 850w sounds more like SLI + dedicated Physx card.


and i hope the corsair vengeance ram you labled is the low profile one. the noctua i think isnt friendly with non low profile ram sticks unless the slots are placed far from the cpu.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 12:14:03 AM

I would add a good size mechanical HDD to the build to hold your games and such. using just a SSD will fill up very fast.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 26, 2012 12:23:17 AM

I would get a 650Watt PSU 850Watt is overkill and not needed also 670 is only 5% slower what justify the extra $100 for a 680 not a dam thing it's a no brainer the 670 is the way to go i sure as hell wouldn't pay a extra $100 for a 5% increase in performance doesn't make any sense also i would add a 1TB mechanical HDD .other than that your build looks solid and i wouldn't change anything else
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 12:30:02 AM

dudewitbow said:

and i hope the corsair vengeance ram you labled is the low profile one. the noctua i think isnt friendly with non low profile ram sticks unless the slots are placed far from the cpu.

im not sure.... What you think i should do? What ram or should i get then or should i change the noctua?
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 12:32:26 AM

if you want to keep the noctua, then you may have to pay the extra to buy the lower profile ones. as for other heat sink recommendations, I'm not to far into knowing all the good CPU heatsinks yet at all price points.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 12:45:58 AM

CPU - Very Good choice, but be careful about overclocking -- Once Ivy Bridge exceeds 1.25V and 4.5 GHz it was noted to be around 20C hotter than Sandy. Otherwise, the 3770k is a CPU powerhouse expecially when running Multi-Threaded apps.

GPU - Buy a 670, a 680 shows like a 5% performance increase and costs 120$ more. The 670 will give you the same performace and you can save 120$

MOBO - Good

Case - Good

PSU - Overkill, Go for a good quality 650W, unless you plan to uprade to a MULTI-GPU setup in the future.

RAM - 16GB IS A LOT***** To maximize that space you would legit need to be running a heavy game, Rendering a full 1080p video, Running Photoshop whilst playing like a 1080p film and surfing the web ------- It's a lot of space. If your'e that conscious about it, go for 12Gigs, that's a safe area and you safe 40$

SSD - I'd say take 120$ from the 670 downgrade and 40$ from the RAM downgrade and invest in a larger SSD -- You will have more space to store apps and when ran off an SSD, things like photoshop, video-rendering and encoding software FLY through the roof with speeds.

Other than that, your Golden

Best Single GPU card for money

Best Ivy Bridge CPU for money
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 12:46:23 AM

Isn't a good 7970 much better than a GTX 680 for your use? Of course the 680 is a bit quicker for most games, but it's nothing dramatic and when both cards are overclocked, they're pretty even... and I think for rendering and things like that the 7970 is much much better than GTX 680 but I could be wrong...
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 12:49:58 AM

the 7970 tends to be better than 680 as the resolution gets to resolutions past 1080, and on multiple screens for its price. after the 12.7 beta drivers, the 7970 and the 680 are pretty headon with their performances, the 7970 having advantages in some games, and the 680 has advantages in others and the ability to use physx and cuda, at the ~50$ price gap.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 1:00:30 AM

dudewitbow said:
the 7970 tends to be better than 680 as the resolution gets to resolutions past 1080, and on multiple screens for its price. after the 12.7 beta drivers, the 7970 and the 680 are pretty headon with their performances, the 7970 having advantages in some games, and the 680 has advantages in others and the ability to use physx and cuda, at the ~50$ price gap.


You may as well be comparing the 7970 with the 670 because the 670 and 680 are basically the same in performance:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=555

(Look specifically at Folding@Home for CUDA)

The reason the 7970 is better at running Higher resolutions is because it has more VRAM, but, assuming that the user won't be utilizing more than one 1080p monitor, the 670 would be the best bet.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 1:17:06 AM

dudewitbow said:
if you want to keep the noctua, then you may have to pay the extra to buy the lower profile ones. as for other heat sink recommendations, I'm not to far into knowing all the good CPU heatsinks yet at all price points.

do you have a link for lower profile ones
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 1:39:13 AM

bctande1 said:
You may as well be comparing the 7970 with the 670 because the 670 and 680 are basically the same in performance:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/598?vs=555

(Look specifically at Folding@Home for CUDA)

The reason the 7970 is better at running Higher resolutions is because it has more VRAM, but, assuming that the user won't be utilizing more than one 1080p monitor, the 670 would be the best bet.


I'm not refering to the old driver benches, Im refering to the 12.7 driver benches, which respectfully puts the 7970 correctly at its pricepoint

Kirunlol said:
do you have a link for lower profile ones


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 8:50:19 AM

He means 2 sticks of 4GB RAM. Low profile means it doesnt have a heatsink.
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 8:55:56 AM

bigcyco1 said:
These would be fine take your pick RAM:
--CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9B: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
--OR--
--Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 993995: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

so 4 low profile stick would work but 2 without it wouldn't?
Whatever, someone told me 8x2 was better? Is that because i can just add another 8x2 later on?
And you sure does 4 sticks would work with the noctua? I don't doubt you is just i can't spend money and later it won't work
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 8:56:07 AM

azeem40 said:
He means 2 sticks of 4GB RAM. Low profile means it doesnt have a heatsink.

what's the heatsink for?
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 9:10:49 AM

Kirunlol said:
so 4 low profile stick would work but 2 without it wouldn't?
Whatever, someone told me 8x2 was better? Is that because i can just add another 8x2 later on?
And you sure does 4 sticks would work with the noctua? I don't doubt you is just i can't spend money and later it won't work
it will work with two stick or four low profile is better so it doesn't conflict with your heat sink and dual channel is better for the mobo you chose
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 9:11:58 AM

azeem40 said:
He means 2 sticks of 4GB RAM. Low profile means it doesnt have a heatsink.
thanks for explaining to him mate ;) 
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 9:15:59 AM

bigcyco1 said:
thanks for explaining to him mate ;) 

so your telling me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is the way to go and my build would be set!!! :) 

My final build right now is
XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W Power Supply

Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 GeForce GTX 680 02G-P4-2687-KR Video Card

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 993995

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive


DO you see anything else wrong with it / would you change anything, like the motherboard or anything at all, you think i should get that graphic card? 520 and super clocked stocked, is that any good? And my one last concern is, do you think that case would be good for all this?
m
0
l
June 26, 2012 9:47:12 AM

Kirunlol said:
so your telling me http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is the way to go and my build would be set!!! :) 

My final build right now is
XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W Power Supply

Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 GeForce GTX 680 02G-P4-2687-KR Video Card

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 993995

Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive


DO you see anything else wrong with it / would you change anything, like the motherboard or anything at all, you think i should get that graphic card? 520 and super clocked stocked, is that any good? And my one last concern is, do you think that case would be good for all this?
Try reading this http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-N... to better understand what i mean about the memory ;)  and there is no need to buy a 850Watt PSU is overkill just get a 650Watt PSU or a 750Watt if you plan to SLI. Also i am not sure who recommended you to get a 680 but it is bad advice a 670 is only 5% slower what justify the extra $100 for a 680 not a dam thing it's a no brainer the 670 is the way to go i sure as hell wouldn't pay a extra $100 for a 5% increase in performance doesn't make any sense as for the case you chose yes it very good but with cases it really comes down to personal preference i favor these listed below but yours is fine and no need to change it. Case:Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Unbeatable Gaming Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper SGC-6000-KXN1-GP Black Steel, ABS Plastic, Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1) Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:NZXT SWITCH 810 Matte Black CA-SW810-M1 Steel / Plastic ATX HYBIRD Full Tower Gaming Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Case:COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:Antec DF-85 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
!