RAID

G

Is it worth buying raid?
What's the gain?

If I play game I won't feel any differences between raid and non-raid right?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I'm assuming you mean RAID 0, which increases performance.

<A HREF="http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm?term=raid" target="_new">Here</A> is a good explanation of RAID.

Now, as to your original question: yes, it will increase performance (in a way). It increases how fast information is read from the hard drives (or written, for that matter), so the game textures will load into the RAM faster. You won't have higher framrates, but Windows will load faster, games and programs will load faster, and less waiting time between levels (unless you're waiting on a server or something).

Is it worth the cost? I apparently thought so, since I have RAID in my computer. But you'd see more difference in games if you saved the money and went with a good video card. Both would of course be the best.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

Unless its W9x/me, then windows won't boot faster (i know coz i've been in both worlds). if anything (in W2K), bootup was slightly slower, but nothing significan't.
Games...you will love it, especially if you play cs. maps load really fast
but yeah, i only went for the raid coz i already had a sexy video card (GF2 ultra) and there wasn't more i could upgrade on my system (yeah right you say!). So yeah, worry about the VC, and possibly the cpu and ram before a raid.
but once you get a raid, you can't go back......trust me.