Sign in with
Your question

Computer Won't start

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2012 12:17:55 AM

So I bought a lot of parts to ramp up my current PC which resulted in just building a new one. With my Cousin who works in a tech related job we built it up and installed Windows XP professional, Which I then took home and installed all the drivers...

About a week after that I downloaded Shogun 2: Total war ( which took 1 1/2 days because of my crappy internet), proceeded to play. Monitor blacked out around 5mins in and wouldn't display anything, Even when I rebooted it. ( but it works on this old PC)

Now when ever I turn it on it starts up, there's the beep, but the GPU fan runs at max speed and there's no display. I've looked for possible shorts to the mobo ( to the best of my knowledge of things it could be like loose screws) , But I've noticed something while doing that which is the GPU fan only runs at max speed when I plug in the DVI to VGA adapter the card came with. Could anyone help me out with this?

OS - Windows XP Professional
Mobo - ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3
CPU - Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz
RAM - Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 -- 2 Sticks
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB
PSU - Thermaltake Smart SP-530P 530W
HardDisk - 250GB

The case is from my Cousin whose friend was making a server with it , It's a old Antec SX1030 with three 80mm case fans...

Please ASK if you need more info then this...And be nice about it. ( I didn't want to do this but that same cousin won't email me back)

More about : computer start

June 26, 2012 1:23:57 AM

I don't know what the hardware requirements are for Shogun, total War. But, since it worked on your old PC, and doesn't on your new PC, i think we can say with some certainty that its either hardware or driver related. Have you tried clearing your cmos? I would try that first. it's possible that the settings were just too high. I would also check my PSU. make sure it's working properly. Your friend in the business probably has a PSU tester. They are very inexpensive, and will check all of your output voltages. If you do get it up and running, be sure you do a check to make sure you're using the correct gpu drivers. Don't try overclocking or tweaking. That compuiter wont handle it. You can also try removing one stick of ram, and see if it will boot up with just one. Try this with both sticks, to see if possibly one of them is bad. Best of luck to you. I hope you get this resolved.
m
l
June 26, 2012 10:28:20 PM

Ok, Well anyone else got ideas?...Surely there are more people with ideas out there...
m
l
Related resources
June 30, 2012 1:27:05 AM

terryd75 said:
I don't know what the hardware requirements are for Shogun, total War. But, since it worked on your old PC, and doesn't on your new PC, i think we can say with some certainty that its either hardware or driver related. Have you tried clearing your cmos? I would try that first. it's possible that the settings were just too high. I would also check my PSU. make sure it's working properly. Your friend in the business probably has a PSU tester. They are very inexpensive, and will check all of your output voltages. If you do get it up and running, be sure you do a check to make sure you're using the correct gpu drivers. Don't try overclocking or tweaking. That computer wont handle it. You can also try removing one stick of ram, and see if it will boot up with just one. Try this with both sticks, to see if possibly one of them is bad. Best of luck to you. I hope you get this resolved.

Well Shogun 2 didn't work on my old PC because I built the new one to get ready for GW2 and to play shogun 2.

As for clearing the CMOS, checking my PSU and testing my RAM. I don't think I need to because without the adapter meaning no display it starts normally and I get the windows starting up tune on my headphones.

And I'm 99.9% sure I have the correct drivers. Could it be a dead GPU? I hope not since I don't think I can RMA it...
m
l
June 30, 2012 1:40:47 AM

Try reseating your ram and GPU. If that does not work try removing your mobo and make sure there are none o those loose screws shorting your board. if no luck,

try flashing your bios with the latest version vis the ez flashback.

if that does not work remove the gpu and test with a spare or test the gpu in a known working pc.
m
l
!