Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express 2.0 vs. PCI Express 3.0

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 1, 2012 10:09:37 PM

This question of mine has left me absolutely stumped, let's see if one of you can answer, since I'm no pro with Hardware, and I won't claim to be a pro.

So, right now I have a pretty good rig set up, it consists of the following:
- ASUS Sabertooth 55i w/ LGA 1156 socket
- Intel Core i3 540
- 2 EVGA Nvidia GTX 560 FTW 2GB edition
- It has 12 GB of RAM
- It has an SSD in it

And yeah. That's my system. I've been noticing some spunky things going on graphics wise. I'm almost positive it's graphics related anyways, it probably doesn't help much that I have a 1000 Watt PSU and the cards require 550 Watts each. Anyways, my graphics have been really sluggish lately. And the Graphics Driver has crashed a TON! I thought that maybe it was something in the OS. but I had to wipe my drive and reinstall 7 just recently, and the problem persists. The only solution that I came up with were the following:
1) I only have an i3 for heaven's sakes. Bottlenecking is most certainly a possibility, new CPU? (and then I might as well just upgrade to an 1155.)
2) Bandwidth may also be a problem. The board runs the 2 graphics cards on x8 and x8.

So here's what I came up with. I think that I want to try upgrading to a new CPU/Motherboard. The motherboard I have chose to get is the ASUS Sabertooth z77, and the CPU Intel Core i7 2600. It seems like a relatively good build, yes? Well, I was looking at the specs for the motherboard, and ASUS nailed it again with all my requirements, except for one. It will also run 2 cards at x8 and x8. Which is what I have now. BUT! The PCI Express slots are 3.0 instead of 2.0 which begs the question. When I put these in, will the bandwidth be insufficient as it presumably is now? Or will it be sufficient because it's 3.0 and the bandwidth size compared to 2.0 is pretty much doubled? Anybody shed some light on the subject?
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2012 10:22:29 PM

techienerd01 said:
This question of mine has left me absolutely stumped, let's see if one of you can answer, since I'm no pro with Hardware, and I won't claim to be a pro.

- Intel Core i3 540
- It has 12 GB of RAM
- It has an SSD in it

And yeah. That's my system. I've been noticing some spunky things going on graphics wise. I'm almost positive it's graphics related anyways, it probably doesn't help much that I have a 1000 Watt PSU and the cards require 550 Watts each. Anyways, my graphics have been really sluggish lately. And the Graphics Driver has crashed a TON! I thought that maybe it was something in the OS. but I had to wipe my drive and reinstall 7 just recently, and the problem persists. The only solution that I came up with were the following:
1) I only have an i3 for heaven's sakes. Bottlenecking is most certainly a possibility, new CPU? (and then I might as well just upgrade to an 1155.)
2) Bandwidth may also be a problem. The board runs the 2 graphics cards on x8 and x8.

So here's what I came up with. I think that I want to try upgrading to a new CPU/Motherboard. The motherboard I have chose to get is the ASUS Sabertooth z77, and the CPU Intel Core i7 2600. It seems like a relatively good build, yes? Well, I was looking at the specs for the motherboard, and ASUS nailed it again with all my requirements, except for one. It will also run 2 cards at x8 and x8. Which is what I have now. BUT! The PCI Express slots are 3.0 instead of 2.0 which begs the question. When I put these in, will the bandwidth be insufficient as it presumably is now? Or will it be sufficient because it's 3.0 and the bandwidth size compared to 2.0 is pretty much doubled? Anybody shed some light on the subject?

You will not see a tangible different between PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 with GTX 560s. Those cards also only need AT MOST 200w each in furmark. Definitely don't need a 1000w power supply. You total system power draw at peak load will be under 600 watts based on what you listed above. Post your full system specs, including model numbers, so we can possibly figure out why you are having the issues that you are.
m
l
May 1, 2012 10:28:34 PM

First off last i checked, 560's don't require 550 each. Hell even a 580 only needs 244.
Second of all, a z77 board is only pci-e 3.0 if it has an ivy bridge CPU in it which I'd advise a 3570k as i doubt you need an i7.
And last but not least, 560's aren't pci-e 3.0 so none of this would have any effect.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2012 10:34:02 PM

Those guys ^ are right. You don't need 1k PSU and you don't need PCIe 3.0.
The dual X8 link is plenty big for 99% of cards. Even the big boys on PCIe 3.0 MAY see 1 or 2 fps difference.

Try taking one card out and see if you speed up. Sometimes multi gpu setups get hung up on driver or profile settings. Drop it to one card and see if you smooth out.
m
l
May 2, 2012 12:44:03 AM

techienerd01 said:

- Intel Core i3 540
- It has 12 GB of RAM
- It has an SSD in it

MANUFACTURER WEBSITE
- FULL SYSTEM SPECS W/ MANUFACTURER LINKS
-ASUS Sabertooth 55i http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/SABE...
- Intel Core i3 540 http://ark.intel.com/products/46473?wapkw=core+i3+540
- EVGA GTX 560 2048MB http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=02G-P3-146...
- Raidmax RX-1000AD http://raidmax.com/psu/rx_1000ae.html
- Crucial SSD http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT0...
- Storage Drive (Couldn't find the manufacturer link.... How newegg works!) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Kingston HyperX Blu http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/hyperx/blu
- G.Skill Ripjaw http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=233
m
l
May 2, 2012 12:46:35 AM

Devastater6194 said:
First off last i checked, 560's don't require 550 each. Hell even a 580 only needs 244.
Second of all, a z77 board is only pci-e 3.0 if it has an ivy bridge CPU in it which I'd advise a 3570k as i doubt you need an i7.
And last but not least, 560's aren't pci-e 3.0 so none of this would have any effect.

Well, according to the EVGA Website, the recommended power supply is 550 watts a card. I had this PSU handed down to me from a friend who was upgrading his computer, and it was free so I used it. I know as a fact you are right about the fact that I probably don't need it, but it was free so I'll use it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2012 4:24:18 AM

techienerd01 said:
Well, according to the EVGA Website, the recommended power supply is 550 watts a card. I had this PSU handed down to me from a friend who was upgrading his computer, and it was free so I used it. I know as a fact you are right about the fact that I probably don't need it, but it was free so I'll use it.

Being realistic here, there is a reason your friend got rid of it. However, so long as it hasn't gone bad (a matter of WHEN not IF), it should suffice for the time being. I would make replacing the PSU a priority when considering future PC upgrades though. The RAIDMAX you have is advertised as 80plus Gold, but, here on planet Earth, it can only pull off 80 plus standard (it goes standard<bronze<silver<gold<platinum).

AIB partners (Add-In Board aka graphics card manufacturers) grossly over compensate the "power requirements" for almost anything. They are making the assumption that you have Dell, HP, or something of that nature with a white label PSU that has Chinese markings everywhere except for "550W." How much juice your GPU needs can be easily estimate, with no prior knowledge, just by looking at the power connectors it uses. Your motherboard's PCI-E slot gives 75 watts. 6-pin PCI-E power connectors are another 75 watts. Then, 8-pin PCI-E are 150 watts. So if your GPU takes two 6-pin PCI-E power connectors, then it would have a maximum power draw of 225 watts or less. I say "or less" because GPU manufacturer's like to play it safe. If they know that a GPU might need 160 watts of power, instead of the max output of a PCI-E slot + one 6-pin PCI-E power connector, they will still throw in that second 6-pin connector to be safe, even though they will never use 65 watts of the 75 available.

m
l
May 3, 2012 11:37:34 PM

Thanks for that info! I never would have known any of that had you said something. So, my plan of action is going to see how bad my PSU situation really is. Once I get all the tape off of the cables (I went overboard on cable management) I'm going to test it to see just how bad the situation is, and depending on how bad it is, will decide how quickly I get the PSU. What brands or power supplies do you recommend?

PS: Your picture is freaking epic. I love it!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 12:07:08 PM

techienerd01 said:
Thanks for that info! I never would have known any of that had you said something. So, my plan of action is going to see how bad my PSU situation really is. Once I get all the tape off of the cables (I went overboard on cable management) I'm going to test it to see just how bad the situation is, and depending on how bad it is, will decide how quickly I get the PSU. What brands or power supplies do you recommend?

PS: Your picture is freaking epic. I love it!

I can make specific recommendations if you can tell me what you would like to spend. Otherwise, you are safe with brands that are made by Seasonic (XFX, Corsair, Seasonic, etc), newer Delta (Antec), and Super Flower (Rosewill CAPSTONE series, Kingwin LAZER series).
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:11:28 AM

I had a bad corsair
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
September 17, 2012 2:26:30 AM

iknowhowtofixit said:
I can make specific recommendations if you can tell me what you would like to spend. Otherwise, you are safe with brands that are made by Seasonic (XFX, Corsair, Seasonic, etc), newer Delta (Antec), and Super Flower (Rosewill CAPSTONE series, Kingwin LAZER series).

Delta's are only on the higher end models, the HCP series. Seasonic is used for the mid ranged ones, HCG. Lower end ones are made by FSP.
m
l
!